Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
How much is too much?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lightsalott

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:51 pm
I just wanted to see exactly what everyone elses opinions are are the whole "going too far" idea. Basically, how far do you feel is acceptable to go in either talking through an online medium, phone, face-to-face, etc. I mean I've always established that anything sexual right away is just too far, but I've slowly opened to the idea of jokingly including it in conversation. Theres also the whole, first date idea of that there is sometimes a limit on what exactly is too far for some people.

Here's a short summary of my idea:
When talking to someone, jokingly including sexual references is somewhat acceptable, but its too far when its just down right vulgar.

When actually having interaction with someone (maybe a bf?) that unless I'm dating you and we both have earned trust, any type of sexual behavior is too far.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:00 pm
Face-to-face:Well face to face id like to get to know the person before we joked around sexually etc. but then again its hard for me to trust people
Over internet: i dislike anything sexual right away also  

Meister_Solstice

Generous Guildsman

6,550 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:10 pm
I think it's tricky to define what's "too far". There are so many variables; each person's comfort zone is different, for starters, and the context in which you meet and start talking to someone is obviously going to play a huge role, too.

It takes a lot to shock or offend me, but that doesn't mean that I would intentionally be vulgar or risqué when talking to someone that I don't know very well. I don't enjoy making people uncomfortable, after all, so I'd rather take my cues from the other person.

That said, if someone was using, say, a dating website with the intention of finding someone else to hook up with for the night, it could be kind of silly to worry about being too sexually explicit. razz  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:17 am
the line of too far depends on who im talking to. for family i will not make sexual jokes ever, but i enjoy grossing out my best friend with conversations of my sex life  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:26 am
I don't understand the topic I guess.

Too far in what? In talking? And in what circumstances?

Are we talking about meeting a new person for the first time (or chatting with a new person)? Hanging out with a good friend? On a date? And with whom?

In the same vein as your summary, if I am talking to my sister, sexual jokes that are graphic make her uncomfortable. So I don't make them. If I'm talking with a certain friend or my boything, over the top and vulgar jokes can be quite hilarious.

But I don't know if we're just talking about sexual jokes or if acts are included.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:54 am
Lady Kayura
I don't understand the topic I guess.

Too far in what? In talking? And in what circumstances?

Are we talking about meeting a new person for the first time (or chatting with a new person)? Hanging out with a good friend? On a date? And with whom?

In the same vein as your summary, if I am talking to my sister, sexual jokes that are graphic make her uncomfortable. So I don't make them. If I'm talking with a certain friend or my boything, over the top and vulgar jokes can be quite hilarious.

But I don't know if we're just talking about sexual jokes or if acts are included.

The question was really non specific, I'm merely asking in what types of situations do you find things going to far. And acts were also talked at the very end of the post. I have to get better at typing these D:  

Lightsalott

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:09 pm
"Too far" is subjective to the person, naturally.

For me, conversations can never go too far unless it becomes a pissing contest or downright rude and offensive. I'm not one for increasingly criticizing others and I find it rather obnoxious and excessive when people just rip others to shreds for the sake of making themselves feel better.

As far as vulgarity and the sort, it depends on who I am with. Different people have different tolerances. I'm not a fan for excessively disgusting conversations in public or when people get a bit too liberal with their personal information that I haven't asked to be shared with.

More intimate interactions person-to-person are a bit of a conundrum for me. I've had hookups before, you know the whole sex with an effective stranger, and it wasn't my cup of tea. My comfort level changes drastically depending on the person and just how charismatic they actually are.

Nowadays it seems to me that sex with a complete stranger is a far too far but "hookups" are far as frisking and a bit of tongue wresting is well within my own tolerance.

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games