Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
A "Flaming" Gay

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nymphis

Anxious Fatcat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:28 pm
So apparently my dear friend ( of the female persuasion) has been trying to allow me access to sleepovers at her home with my friends ( all of a female persuasion). And the excuse was of course "He's gay" which brought up a whole bunch of new conversation.

ANYWAY on to the topic.
Apparently her mother has described me as a "Flaming gay" I have no idea what that is... So the conversation goes directly to if I have a lisp and all the gay stereotypical delights. So anyway I was wondering.
Does anyone know what a "Flaming Gay" is o - o?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:55 pm
Nymphis
So apparently my dear friend ( of the female persuasion) has been trying to allow me access to sleepovers at her home with my friends ( all of a female persuasion). And the excuse was of course "He's gay" which brought up a whole bunch of new conversation.

ANYWAY on to the topic.
Apparently her mother has described me as a "Flaming gay" I have no idea what that is... So the conversation goes directly to if I have a lisp and all the gay stereotypical delights. So anyway I was wondering.
Its a derogatory term for a blatantly effeminate homosexual. Its etymological origin is derived from the "fact" that gay people burn in hell. So hes a flamer or flaming was an insult and now its used as slang for a gay person whom you can tell is gay.  

Raleigh_Ronin

Nymphis

Anxious Fatcat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:07 pm
Karl_Krebs

Oh well isn't that joyous? Oh well thank you very much for clearing that up for me. Kinda shocking that that exists but eh "Welcome to the World" sorta never sounded right.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:10 pm
Nymphis
Karl_Krebs

Oh well isn't that joyous? Oh well thank you very much for clearing that up for me. Kinda shocking that that exists but eh "Welcome to the World" sorta never sounded right.
She probably doesn't know it has such dickish connotation to it, most don't. I hear plenty of gay guys use it when referring to eachother.  

Raleigh_Ronin

Nymphis

Anxious Fatcat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:14 pm
Karl_Krebs
Nymphis
Karl_Krebs

She probably doesn't know it has such dickish connotation to it, most don't. I hear plenty of gay guys use it when referring to eachother.
I severely hope so xD would very much like for her not to mean that, her mom is awsome :T  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:15 pm
Nymphis
Karl_Krebs
Nymphis
Karl_Krebs

I severely hope so xD would very much like for her not to mean that, her mom is awsome :T
Then her mom probably thinks you have some sugar in your shoes.  

Raleigh_Ronin

Nymphis

Anxious Fatcat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:55 pm
Karl_Krebs
Nymphis
Karl_Krebs
Nymphis
Karl_Krebs

Sugar on my shoes...?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:08 pm
A "flaming gay" has different definitions from person to person however my general understanding is that a "flaming gay" is typically a homosexual male who tends to be rather boisterous and excessively feminine. They tend to display more qualities that a bubbly girl might rather than a rough and tough boy. It's usually used a derogative and carries heavy negative connotations.

And I might add, that if I were you I would definitely have a polite talk with my friend about her mother's perception of you and simply make a statement that it's not entirely appreciated.

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200

Raleigh_Ronin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:53 pm
Nymphis
Karl_Krebs
Nymphis
Karl_Krebs
Nymphis
Karl_Krebs

Sugar on my shoes...?
Sugar in you shoes, pep in you step, just slang people in the south use for effeminate.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:48 pm
Nymphis

ANYWAY on to the topic.
Whatever b***h, let your flame BURN BRIGHTLY! anyone who has anything negative about you loving somone obviously has thier own issues and insecurity. and she probably didn't mean anything too serious by it anyway. when heterosexual people who arent very familliar with gay people get involved a lot of social faux paus take place.cheer up. smile. and be the best b***h you can be. <3  

Gris-Gris182

Irouk

Hilarious Genius

5,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:59 am
Could very well mean she is implying effeminate, flamboyant or girly 'behaviour', but she could also just mean you are very out and proud and make your sexuality very known (though not necessarily implying feminin or girly per say).  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:42 am
Karl_Krebs
Nymphis

ANYWAY on to the topic.
Its a derogatory term for a blatantly effeminate homosexual. Its etymological origin is derived from the "fact" that gay people burn in hell. So hes a flamer or flaming was an insult and now its used as slang for a gay person whom you can tell is gay.

Another supposed origin of it is the term "f**" which is a stick for burning. Since there was a point in time when gay people were burned at the stake... Just another step in the burning in hell process I suppose though. If you two get along though I don't suppose she meant any malice behind it. Just an unfortunately rude paring of words.

Panyrinth

Business Regular

6,850 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Full closet 200
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items