Lashuri Chan

Generous Giver

10,600 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:48 am
User Image

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I feel this is debate worthy. I was on the LD and there was a topic asking if you would date a black person. Some people said no and some said yes and then one person commented calling the OP a racist and someone said that it wasn't racist,. it was a preference and then someone said not to call it that when it is a requirement that your date be of a certain race.

I looked up the word racism and it is not racist to not want to date someone of a certain race. So what we're suppose to be attracted to everyone and every race? I mean it was just a simply dating question and all these people said was that they would not date someone who is black, they never said they would not be friends with them and didn't say anything abusive or overaggressive about them so why this person is calling racist on that is just stupid!

It is a preference when it comes to race when it comes to smoking and drinking and such. One just prefers that their date or S.O not be this race and for whatever reason.

What do you think? Do you think race should be used as a preference or not?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:16 am
This is controversial topic, because there are people that see this definitely as ''being'' racist while others don't...

There was a topic like that in another website.

People say that they are attracted to a certain type of person which includes physical traits and race...They said it is not racist at all because they are just not attracted to them...

Anyways it's like... saying I like more the physical appearance than the inner beauty of a person.  

Miss_XxAriaxX

Hatchet_90

Dedicated Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:19 am
I don't understand why people get offended by that. I worry that if I mention that I would immediately be tagged as racist.
I'm not even sure if it would classed as a preference in the sense that you can't help whether or not you are attracted. Whereas preferences such as non-smoker/drinker are a choice. I am not physically attracted to any black person I know, but I am friends with them. It's not really a choice.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:30 am
If we didn't view 'black people' as somehow separate/different from white people, the topic would never come up. It's rooted in culture-wide racism.  

Latrans

Devoted Inquisitor

Lashuri Chan

Generous Giver

10,600 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:45 am
XxAriaxX
This is controversial topic, because there are people that see this definitely as ''being'' racist while others don't...

People say that they are attracted to a certain type of person which includes physical traits and race...They said it is not racist at all because they are just not attracted to them...

Anyways it's like... saying I like more the physical appearance than the inner beauty of a person.

User Image

I don't think your example can be called racist but more like shallow. But you know that would be your own preference to what you like.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:53 am
little aishi chan
XxAriaxX

User Image

I don't think your example can be called racist but more like shallow. But you know that would be your own preference to what you like.
Yeah, I know it is shallow, but this is what I've read in the similar topic, I think there was one in Gaia lifestyle too.
They claim they are not racist, but they prefer some ethnicities over others.  

Miss_XxAriaxX

Walter has ganado

3,850 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:12 am
woah woah woah hoLD RIGHT THE FLIPPER DOODLE UP. NOBODY SHOULD BE ABLE TO EVER FORCE A COLLECTIVE IDEA OR ANY OTHER KIND OF PRESSURE ONTO A PERSON REGARDING WHO THEY ARE ATTRACTED TO. THAT IS A PERSONAL DESION THAT IS NOT ALOUD UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE TO BE JUDGED IF THE INDIVIDUAL IS NOT FORCING IT ON OTHER PEOPLE. NOBODY IS ALOUD TO DICTATE SUCH A PERSONAL CHOICE EVER IN ANY WAY  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:12 pm
I would say no, but it's really all individual.

If you won't date a black person because you're not attracted to that type of person, sure.
If you won't date a black person because he is black and you have something against black people, then it's obviously racism.

here in Sweden this is a really hot topic. We are racist for everything, and I do mean everything. Unless the sentence contains "I love black/orange/yellow/blue/rainbowcolored people" you're a racist. Except for white.
You are NOT allowed to like or be proud of your white heritage or your family history because of the color of your skin. If you are a proud white person, you are a racist person.  

Dora The Exploded

Dangerous Explorer

6,900 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Hygienic 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Kitalpha Hart

Feline Phantom

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:02 pm
Dora The Exploded
here in Sweden this is a really hot topic. We are racist for everything, and I do mean everything. Unless the sentence contains "I love black/orange/yellow/blue/rainbowcolored people" you're a racist. Except for white.
You are NOT allowed to like or be proud of your white heritage or your family history because of the color of your skin. If you are a proud white person, you are a racist person.
the states are the same
There can be a dating site for brown/black people only, but not pink/white only
Uuh...  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:32 pm
Kitalpha Hart
Dora The Exploded
the states are the same
Uuh...

Yeah, it's pretty weird.

Oh, and I had this totally weird discussion with this girl.
Apparently, white people cannot be the subject of racism. Because the caucasians have been the "leading" race throughout history, it's impossible for us to be attacked because of our race.

If someone spat in my face and called me "white mothertrucker" or threatened to kill me because of the color of my skin, that wouldn't be racism.
That feels kind of like "men can't be raped, because they always like sex".
"White people can be the subject to racism, because we're always the racists".  

Dora The Exploded

Dangerous Explorer

6,900 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Hygienic 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:40 pm
Dora The Exploded

Yeah, it's pretty weird.

Apparently, white people cannot be the subject of racism. Because the caucasians have been the "leading" race throughout history, it's impossible for us to be attacked because of our race.

If someone spat in my face and called me "white mothertrucker" or threatened to kill me because of the color of my skin, that wouldn't be racism.

this girl does know that white people have been discriminated against and have been sold into slavery before, right? everyone's race has been held in slavery before, has been discriminated against, etc. etc. it's not a "everyone but white people" thing.

history isn't "and then in the 15th century the caucasians descended upon the world and made everything go to hell they are a disease," it's "and then a group of people invaded another group of people and the group of people did this and that" and so on and so forth.

what world is she living in?!
                    x

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:51 pm
Dora The Exploded
Kitalpha Hart
Dora The Exploded
the states are the same
Uuh...

Yeah, it's pretty weird.

uuh, what? As I recall, rape is sex without consent. If the male is not consenting, then he's the one being raped
Look at affirmative action. Not white? Poor? From a broken family? Oh, we don't care about the -3.9 GPA, you qualify more than the hardworking kid (regardless of ethnicity and such) with the 600.92 GPA that never took a day off!!
Uuh, if that's not racism to her views, then I don't know what is
And it's usually the pale skins that get the short end of the stick  

Kitalpha Hart

Feline Phantom

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:57 pm

there was a guy in my school that said they wouldn't date asians because he's not sexually attracted to
                    him; asians simply aren't in any part of his type.

to me, that's not racist in the least.

another way to say this would be like this:
                    *if i'm homophobic, i wouldn't like someone because they're gay.
                    *however, i can also dislike the same person because i think they're the biggest a** to ever exist;
                    *if this is the case, then them being gay has nothing to do with whether i like them or dislike them.

one is discriminating towards someone based on their sexual orientation, the other is simply because
                    i think they're the biggest a** on the planet.

tl;dr: no, it's not racist if you wouldn't date a black person simply because you aren't attracted to
                    black people. it is, however racist if you wouldn't date someone because they're black and you think all
                    black people are inferior and disgusting (or something along those lines), that's racist.
                    x

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:45 pm
Quite literally from that logic, unless you identify as pansexual/bisexual, that would make you sexist.

Preference is preference. What is racist is if you say "I won't date black women because all black women are cheating whores" and things of that nature. It isn't wrong to not be attracted to someone of a certain race. It's just what you find appealing. It's just the same as not being attracted to someone because they are blonde but society has tried to push so far away from our racist past (*Ahem* from the beginning of our country to at least the 60's) that we over analyze things as being racist or we try to be so anti racist that we end up technically being racially insensitive somewhere else.

InterstateDaisy

Dapper Noob

20. ✿ - - - Debating

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces