Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Bible Study
Milk vs. Meat

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ratsah

Beloved Soldier

8,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:28 pm
Milk vs. Meat  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:23 am
Hope everyone is drinking their milk. I know I do. sweatdrop

Hebrews 5:12 For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the basic principles of the oracles of God. You need milk, not solid food,  

Ratsah

Beloved Soldier

8,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:51 am
Oy, that was actually a good point he was trying to make. He made it hard to swallow though with all the snide remarks he kept mixing in—many of which were untrue:

• the newer versions "attacking" the word of god, for example Philippians 4:13 taking out the word "Christ". First of all, what the Greek actually says is "the one who strengthens me" so it's perfectly fine for some english versions to say "him who strengthens me" and not specifically "Christ who strengthens me". The KJV chose to use the word Christ. http://biblos.com/philippians/4-13.htm

Second of all, some new versions, and versions other than the KJV, do keep "Christ" or "Messiah": http://bible.cc/philippians/4-13.htm .

As for 1 Pt 2:2, it's not necessary to include "milk of the WORD" because what other "pure spiritual milk" would the bible be referring to? Nothing else is pure (the newer versions don't obscure that idolatry is sin). Some of the new versions actually do keep the phrase "milk of the word" like the NASB, ISV, GWT and WEB. http://bible.cc/1_peter/2-2.htm

No "attack" from the newer versions. They're simply adapting to the spoken language of the time while still maintaining to the Greek. That's a good thing.

• Messianics don't keep the commandments to get saved. They keep the commandments out of love for our Heavenly Father. They don't do it to get justified before the eyes of God as "righteous enough"; they believe they're justified by faith in Christ. Messianics keep the feast days, among other old testament commands, because they prophetically speak of Yeshua, our Messiah, the things he would do and will do. Commandment keeping is not the means through which they're saved; it's the fruit or by-product of getting saved. They were saved before they kept a single commandment like the Exodus: saved from Pharaoh and the plagues because they believed the blood would save them and believed when he told them to do something, then after journeying for a while, they reach Mt. Sinai and receive the commandments. Saved first by listening to his voice, heeding the message, then comes obedience to commandments.

disclaimer: actually, let me speak for myself, because I don't know what side groups of the Messianics he has come across. But from what I have seen, they don't believe "works" is what saves you. If he's simply referring to "Black Hebrew Israelites" then yeah he's right.

• this one isn't a snide remark, but he just got it wrong: the Corinthian church's carnality had nothing to do with munching on meatier spiritual concepts; they literally were living by the lusts of the flesh and that's the reason why they couldn't move beyond the spiritual milk. They weren't even feeding on meat, they hadn't moved past the spiritual milk of the word as evidenced by all their sexual immorality and the strife they had against one another.

For some reason the video doesn't want to keep playing past the 40:49 mark. confused Nvm, it's working now; I'll continue listening.

• We don't have to fly off the planet to avoid wrath.

The saints (who are believers) will endure Satan's persecution (Daniel 7:25; Rev 13:7; 14:12). It would be easier to take on the mark of the beast so we could buy and sell with ease. That's why it's a tribulation for us (believers).

Wrath, on the otherhand, is for the non-believers, the unrepentant (Rev 9:20-21). People receiving plagues do not have God's mark because two chapters back (Rev 7:3), YHWH's angel sealed His people. YHWH's people have repented of their sins yet the people in Rev 9 have not repented. In Revelation 9, it's God pouring out wrath on non-believers, not Satan persecuting the saints (believers). People have to be sealed by God's mark and avoid taking the mark of the beast so the plagues pass over them and do not affect them.

Whether YHWH takes out a group of Christians before any of this happens, I don't know, but people need to erase the notion out of their minds that YHWH has to physically remove a person from the country of evil-doers before he unleashes wrath. That wasn't the case in the past. He kept his people safe and they were all physically in Egypt. When he tells us to come out of Babylon, I think it's safe to say he's referring to worship practices (like how King Jehu, in 2 Kings 10:19, gathered all the idol worshipers inside the temple and slaughtered them; the true believers were kept out/separate and would not have gathered along with those engaging in idolatrous practices, but once again they're clearly in the same town, let alone planet). Same with Noah: kept safe, stayed on the planet even with a world-wide flood.

I definitely agree that essentially we need to:

- avoid being like the world
- keep the basics in mind

The easiest way to do both is to keep our focus on Jesus/Yeshua. What did he do? what did he say? and follow his example. Things that even a simple farmer or sheepherder can understand, we don't have to be a studied collegiate to feed off the milk. Yeshua is "the word" (John 1:1, 14), the "bread of life" (John 6:35) who gives "living water" (John 4:10) and if "the word" is "pure milk" then Yeshua is milk too, lol. So many food analogies.  
Bible Study

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games