Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Mistakes We've Made

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ShalomTheStargazer

Festive Cutesmasher

9,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:26 am
So in coming out there is no right or wrong way to do it, but sometimes I look back on how I did things and I think "oh s**t. what the hell?" I think this because I realize I told people who didn't need to know and would later use it to hurt me, or because I didn't tell people right away who deserved to know (out of fear I suppose--this includes my most recent boyfriend, who couldn't figure out why I didn't tell him from the start) and thereby hurt their feelings. I thought I'd start this topic so we can all discuss our own mistakes and possibly help others avoid the same. Thoughts?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:31 am
I wouldn't tell a straight guy I was dating or lesbian gal b/c everyone thinks bi and pan people are confused save for ourselves and a few of all the rest  

Pia Austin

Dedicated Consumer

8,550 Points
  • PvP 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Lavish Tipper 200

Taka-tan

Dapper Autobiographer

3,050 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Informer 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:49 pm
Mine was not telling my parents. It hurt them when they found out through a friend's text, and were upset I didn't come out to them near the beginning.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:55 pm
How I came out to my parents and when.
I think it would be best if they could just forget and I could tell them when I moved out.
It was a huge church division, they lost quite a few friends, and my sister was almost to her due date. Definitely was not the time for them.
Plus, I care not to be around my mom's ignorant remarks. I didn't realize exactly what their 'neutral' stance was until I told them. Big mistake.

iiParadoxical

Anja Sedai

Timely Traveler

20,450 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:27 pm
I tried to sneak around it instead of coming out. I made up excuses about where I was when I was attending GSA events at my high school instead of just saying what I was doing. My mom found out anyways and that was kind of awkward. I think she was mostly hurt because I didn't trust her enough to tell her. I'm bad at having talks though, especially ones that involve feelings and emotion. I was trying to avoid that. I ended up getting the "I love you but I wish you were straight because life would be easier for you" speech anyways. Which really irked me.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:00 am
i wish i had come out to my family and my best friend sooner. my best friend felt really hurt that i had kept it from her and i really had no reason to.

i dont regret telling the people who decided to avoid be because of it. im happy i got to weed out the bad friends.

i also regret not admiting it to myself sooner.  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items