Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Mortality.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Steryx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:17 pm
Thoughts? Not limiting to a certain set of beliefs, of course. I want to see how people from all walks of life approach the idea of dying, and especially permanently ceasing to be.

Having recently decided on being an Atheist, I had quite the mortality scare. It took a long time, but I think I've finally come to terms with the idea that I'll one day not be around. It's really become something I like to think about seriously every once in a while.

I'd really like to get the two cents of people from other walks of life, of different belief systems.

And, sorry if this is a bit dark. It's not supposed to upset anyone.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:55 pm
Well I just feel that I want to be happy during this life.
I know I will die, and I have talked about what I want done after I die, but now that I have a son I am really focusing on doing all the things I can before then.
As for after death, I don't think there is a heaven or hell.
Once you die, you're just gone.  

MommiiDearest

Beloved Elocutionist

11,100 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Guildmember 100

Chiralistral

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:11 pm
For as long as I remember, I've been completely alright with the idea of dying. It doesn't scare me or make me nervous at all. I've realised that the only thing I'm afraid of is the act of dying: physical pain, panic and fighting for my life. I'm also afraid of my loved ones suffering. But death has always been a very simple concept for me. While I'm leaning towards nothing happening after death, simply because it's the easiest option and the one I prefer, I'm at peace with not knowing and having no way of finding out; I find personal freedom in that. It gives me the ability to give up on finding out, and not having to care about it. It lets me get rid of many existential troubles and just live my life.

As for what afterlife or non-afterlife I prefer, I strongly hope for nothing. I hope for my mind to cease existing instantly. The reason is that, again, it would give me freedom. I wouldn't ever have to worry about anything again; it would be over for good. After years of introspection, I've found out that my biggest existential fear is eternity. The concept is so impossible to comprehend that I wish I will never have to face it or experience it on my own. That's why the concept of an eternal afterlife scares the hell out of me.

Many people, when I tell them about my thoughts on mortality, find my thoughts very morbid, and some of them interpret them as me actively wanting to die. That's not the case though. Of course I want to stay alive until I get old; when faced with a life or death situation, I will obviously fight for my life. But I have a rather passive approach to death; after all, everything can kill you, and you don't always see it coming. It can happen instantly. Instead of worrying about fatal accidents and such, I figure it doesn't make any difference. If I die, there's nothing to do about it, and that's alright.

Of course, this goes for myself on a personal level only. I still fear losing my friends and family; death is just as scary to me as to anyone else when it's other people. This became a bit confusing, I think, but there you have it. I find this quite an interesting topic.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:19 pm
although i am a Christian, i do not make a big deal about the afterlife. i do not want to be bribed into doing good by promises of future happiness.

anyway, this moment you and i are living in right now is part of eternity, since eternity is all of time, so we are already part of eternity too.

Jesus said in the 3d chapter of John that the only one fit to comment about heaven would be somebody who came from there. Well, that's not me! razz

so i hold no expectations and would not at all mind simply melting into the woods and waters of this earth when i die.  

beaulolais

B1g_crunch

Questionable Loiterer

8,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:27 pm
Recently upon thinking about the concept of mortality and nonexistence after death, I came to realize that for me the thought eternal existence is just about as frightening to me. After a while in an afterlife you would probably run out of things to do and become extremely bored, I'd imagine (even if you had an eternity).

A boring or uneventful day can be a little bad, but to have something like that last forever sounds a bit bad to me.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games