Welcome to Gaia! ::

It's A Girl Thing! ♥

Back to Guilds

A Family, A Home. 

Tags: Linkin Park, Contests, Hangout, Role Playing, Twilight 

Reply 29. ✿ - - - School and Work
About to graduate and I need some advice... help?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chanyeol Biased

Quotable Gawker

9,400 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:51 am
So I have about three months (give or take a few days) before I'm done with highschool. The thing is, I'm just not sure I'm ready for college. I'd like to take a year off and work, save up some money, get used to life outside of the nest. Me and a friend are already planning on moving in with her cousin in a city about 2.5 hours away from where I live now and while she goes to school I can work. However, everyone around me is saying that I should go to college. I've applied, so it's all set, but I need the opinion of someone unbiased, a person that doesn't know me, you know? Any advice?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:54 am
It's pointless to go to college if you are not going to put in effort. If you want to take a year off, then take a year off. Some people benefit by doing so. On the other hand, some people become less motivated, and when the time comes around for when they had planned on going back to school, they still don't want to.

Just do what you think is best for you.

Also, if someone (your parents, or if you got like a scholarship or something) is willing to pay for your education now, but not in the future, that might be another thing to think about. If you are financially responsible for yourself, then if you have a bit more room to decide whether or not you really want to go to college.  

eccentricanomaly

Frezeal

Shameless Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:08 pm
My best friend decided to take a year off. She said it was harder to get back into school because time flies by when she's working all the time and living with her fiance. I am not even sure if she is enrolled yet because she keeps lying to me about it.

There's always community college where you can take a couple of standard classes and you can work at the same time.

You really have to look at how you feel and what is best for you.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:15 pm
Chanyeol Biased
So I have about three months (give or take a few days) before I'm done with highschool. The thing is, I'm just not sure I'm ready for college. I'd like to take a year off and work, save up some money, get used to life outside of the nest. Me and a friend are already planning on moving in with her cousin in a city about 2.5 hours away from where I live now and while she goes to school I can work. However, everyone around me is saying that I should go to college. I've applied, so it's all set, but I need the opinion of someone unbiased, a person that doesn't know me, you know? Any advice?
Let's say you decide to go to college. Because you don't know if you are ready, maybe be part-time and take an appointement with a career advisor or counsellor at school so you can find the ''field of study that fits your interest'' so in the first week of the semester you may be able to change all the courses to the ones that fits your interest. You'll be motivated if what you are studying interest you. Counsellor may be able to give you advice on how to study...
If there is a career that inspire you, that you want to become, you'll definitely find the motivation to study.

It is not a bad thing to take a year off, but make sure to find a job, or it's gonna be boring and no benefits  

Miss_XxAriaxX

Anaaaeu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:12 am
I wondered the same so I asked a few people about it. Most people told me that it's harder to go to college after taking that year off because you're not used to being in school anymore. A year working and a year being at school are completely different. You may not feel like doing it this year but it could get worse. Many people just end up not going to college after they get a job.
I think you should try going to college. Nowadays it's fundamental to have an higher education and I think you may not feel prepared now but when you get there it may feel different.
You have to put effort in it or it's worthless, though. Try to think about your future so you get some motivation and most importantly: pick a course you know you're going to love (and if you pick the wrong one, change courses). It's horrible to find motivation to do something you hate. Imagine it being like that for years...  
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:42 pm
You could always get a part-time job and be a part time student.

TEWG

Destructive Mage

15,275 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:49 pm
TEWG
You could always get a part-time job and be a part time student.

THIS. I wish I could have gone to college but my parents said it was a waste of money because I was going to raise babies anyway so why bother. I'm never forgiving them for that - or other things - but I digress.

The longer you are out of the classroom the harder it will be to get back in. If (as I suspect) you're not sure what you want to major in yet, just take the basic classes everyone has to take while you make up your mind.

Please don't waste the opportunity!  
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:51 pm
User Image

I did the gap year thing. I took a year off and worked, got to decide where I wanted my life to go and now I'm studying something I love whilst still working part-time.
It's different for everyone I guess. Like Anaaaeu said, it was difficult to get back into the studying routine after having the freedom. But it has left me with a refreshed mind and a new perspective.

User Image

Clasela
Crew

flauterfli

Gekko

3,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:35 pm
Do what works for you and your financial situation.

29. ✿ - - - School and Work

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games