Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
My city's only gay bar is closing

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:41 pm
The closure actually made the news, although for such a small city, just about everything does. razz

It's not really my scene, but I've been there a handful of times with friends who like it.
Actually, the last time I was there was with a group of straight guys; they heard the karaoke night was awesome.

Anyway, it's a pretty low-key venue, and the space is multi-purpose, with a bar, tiny stage, dance floor and some tables upstairs and another bar, seating, and a foosball (or air hockey, or something) table downstairs.

From the article,
Quote:
The scene is changing, said Jenny Gillingham, one of of the Pump Nightclub owners.
Younger people are comfortable in most clubs and their peers are more accepting of them.

She said the nightclub, which was open for three years, wasn't getting the support it needed from the younger crowd.
It had been losing money for the last year.

Co-owner Troy Morehouse said he feels badly for older members of the gay community who have been regulars at the club.

"The younger crowd has it a bit easier than the older crowd does, feeling comfortable at a different venue," he said.

While I do think it's a positive thing that the younger crowd feels that they can be open elsewhere, I'm kind of concerned about what this might mean for the queer community here.
As the owners have said, the older crowd does not feel as comfortable in the other bars and clubs in the city. I would also guess that anyone who is visibly outside of the binary gender norm is still probably going to feel less at ease in places that aren't designated as being safe for LGBT folks.

Anyway, I'm curious. The first 18 years of my life were spent in a tiny town that definitely did not have any sort of gay club or bar. From what I've seen over the years in the guild, I know that many of you guys are in a similar boat, living in areas without designated "safe" LGBT spaces. A lot of you aren't old enough to go to bars, either.

So, story time.
Tell me about LGBT spaces in your town or city, and your experiences with them.
Or, tell me about the lack of such spots, and what you wish existed in your community.
I don't just mean bars or clubs; there could also be bookstores, cafes, events, clubs...
For those of you who frequent gay clubs or bars, how comfortable would you feel in other venues, alone or with a partner? Would you feel unsafe? Do you think you'd be harassed?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:17 pm
My town doesn't have any gay bars. But my friend was going to make a gay club at school, bit she for some reason never got around to it.  

Ryura_Kayano

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff