Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Inspiration
Reasons that Jesus is More than a Prophet

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Biblical_Counselor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:29 am
Greetings in the name of Jesus Christ. I have been studying and learning about the attributes of God and about the character and the functions of the deity of Christ. And I want to share why I think that Jesus is much more than a prophet.

A prophet means "a messenger." We have examples in the Old Testament on prophets. Moses was a messenger to Pharaoh. Jeremiah was a messenger to the children of Israel, and so forth. Prophet is just simply a messenger to tell the people about the message.

John the Baptist was also a Prophet. He proclaimed the message that the King is soon coming that he, himself is not fit to loose his sandals. However, Jesus says that John is the greatest prophet of them all. (Matthew 11:11) That should be a red flag already. John is the greatest prophet, yet he is unworthy to loose Jesus' sandals. (Matt. 3:11)

One of the things about being a prophet means that he cannot lie. If a prophet lies, he is called a false prophet. Now listen to these words of Jesus, whom many is calling Him, just a prophet.

John 14:6
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

John 10:7
Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.

Also, a prophet cannot forgive sin. Sin is only something that God forgives. Jesus cannot say to a woman that her sin is forgiven her because of her faith if He was a prophet.

If Jesus is a prophet, He would never said these things. A prophet brings the message. Jesus is the message. If Jesus is the only way to God, then there is no alternative routes. Repent, believe in Jesus Christ today as God who came into this world in human flesh (John 1:1, 14) and you will receive eternal life.

Luke 7:26
But what went ye out for to see? A prophet? Yea, I say unto you, and much more than a prophet.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:04 am
In Luke 7:26 Jesus is referring to John & in verse 27 refers back to Malachi's prophecy concerning John in Malachi 3:1

Jesus indeed was a prophet (but obviously so much more) as He identifies Himself in Matthew 13:57, Mark 6:4, Luke 4:24 & John 4:4 where after his rejection in Nazareth he declares "Verily I say unto you, No prophet is accepted in his own country".  

jack0076970

Islamic Teacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:10 am
Jesus said, which are verses 19:30-33 in the chapter of Mary in the Quran:

He said: "I am indeed a servant of God: He hath given me revelation and made me a prophet;
And He hath made me blessed wheresoever I be, and hath enjoined on me Prayer and Charity as long as I live;
(He) hath made me kind to my mother, and not overbearing or miserable;
So peace is on me the day I was born, the day that I die, and the day that I shall be raised up to life (again)!"
—Quran, sura 19 Maryam, ayat 30-33

"And they said we have killed the Messiah Jesus son of Mary, the Messenger of God. They did not kill him, nor did they crucify him, though it was made to appear like that to them; those that disagreed about him are full of doubt, with no knowledge to follow, only supposition: they certainly did not kill him. On the contrary, God raised him unto himself. God is almighty and wise."—Quran surah 4 (An-Nisa النساء) ayah 157-158

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:35 am
Khalid Ibn Walid

He said: "I am indeed a servant of God: He hath given me revelation and made me a prophet;
And He hath made me blessed wheresoever I be, and hath enjoined on me Prayer and Charity as long as I live;
So peace is on me the day I was born, the day that I die, and the day that I shall be raised up to life (again)!"

"And they said we have killed the Messiah Jesus son of Mary, the Messenger of God. They did not kill him, nor did they crucify him, though it was made to appear like that to them; those that disagreed about him are full of doubt, with no knowledge to follow, only supposition: they certainly did not kill him. On the contrary, God raised him unto himself. God is almighty and wise."—Quran surah 4 (An-Nisa النساء) ayah 157-158

Surah 4:157-158
“And their saying: Surely we have killed the Messiah, Isa son of Marium, the apostle of Allah; and they did not kill him nor did they crucify him, but it appeared to them so (like Isa) and most surely those who differ therein are only in a doubt about it; they have no knowledge respecting it, but only follow a conjecture, and they killed him not for sure. Nay! Allah took him up to Himself; and Allah is Mighty, Wise.”

Let me exegete this passage briefly:
Who is speaking here? It appears that it is the Jews saying that they have killed Isa (Jesus) who is the son of Mary, the Messiah. This points out a discrepancy as the Jews would not have called Jesus the Messiah because they rejected him and on a finer point, it was not the Jews that killed Jesus, it was the Romans.

Then we have “those who differ” are in doubt and only follow conjecture. This suggests that those responsible for the death of Jesus also suffer with doubt about the event. If it was the Jews, to what proof historically did the Jews doubt this event. And if to Christians who doubt, again, what evidence or record can be cited to show that they are in doubt. It seems that Mohammad is making it appear that there was doubt among either Jews or Christians. The suggestion of “doubt” has only come from cultist groups.

Now to the main parts of this passage, they (Jews) did not kill or crucify him (Jesus) “but it appeared to them so like Isa.” Meaning that someone appeared like Isa (Jesus) to the disciples that was killed in place of Jesus. So through a miracle of Allah, another man was made to look and talk like Jesus and he went through the trial, the beating and the crucifixion. Meanwhile, Allah took Jesus to be with him in Heaven. “Allah took him up to Himself.”

There are number of problems that this passage causes for Islam to defend. One problem is that it contradicts other passages that teach that Jesus died. The other problem is that it makes Allah the creator of a great deception that spawned the Christian faith.

Here is the contradiction. In Surah 19 it says that Jesus (Isa) died and was raised to life.

“And peace on him on the day he was born, and on the day he dies, and on the day he is raised to life.” (Surah 19:15)
“And peace on me on the day I was born, and on the day I die, and on the day I am raised to life.” (Surah 19:33)

Some may argue that Surah 19 is not talking about Jesus. Of course, then my question is simply, what prophet is this passage talking about who was born, died and resurrected? Surah 19 may be explained away as someone else, BUT there is no doubt that Surah 3:54 is referring to Jesus.

“When Allah said: ‘O Jesus, I will cause thee to die and exalt thee in My presence and clear thee of those who disbelieve…”

Changed Appearance Dilemma:
Who changed the appearance of another man to look like Christ? If Allah miraculously took Jesus to heaven to spare him from suffering and the cross, then it must have been Allah that disguised the another person to die in place of Jesus.

The Gospel of Barnabas was written by an Ebonite and is an epistle that was rejected as being scripture by the early saints. It says:

“Truly I say that the voice, the face, and the person of Judas were so like to Jesus, that his disciples and believers entirely believed that he was Jesus; wherefore some departed from the doctrine of Jesus, believing that Jesus had been a false prophet, and that by art magic he had done the miracles which he did: for Jesus had said that he should not die till near the end of the world; for that at that time he should be taken away from the world.” (Barnabas 217:14)

Based on this reference and the fact that Judas was no longer with the Disciples in Acts chapter one, many assume that Allah used Judas to die in place of Christ on the cross.

Now if Allah took Jesus to be with him and delivered him from his suffering, then the disciples of Jesus would not have proclaimed that he was crucified and died. They would have preached his deliverance from suffering. Yet, according to the Qur’an, Allah created the illusion that Jesus died. But why? To what purpose? Having the disciples preaching that Jesus died instead of preaching that Allah had rescued him would only hurt the cause of Islam. Why did Allah create this deception which is the root of the Christian faith. Muslims only have Allah to blame for creating the most popular religion on earth that they say is false, and that all who believe in the Christian faith are damned.

What we really have here is Mohammad trying to explain the crucifixion. There has to be some explanation as to why Jesus’ disciples preached the crucifixion so passionately. So much so that they suffered martyrs deaths for preaching that Jesus was crucified. These disciples were convinced because they witnessed the crucifixion of Jesus with their own eyes. As Allah is the invention of Mohammad, Mohammad is trying to give a cleaver explanation but in doing so he created a bigger problem. Why create an illusion that only draws followers of Christ away from Islam?  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Islamic Teacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:54 am
Garland-Green
Khalid Ibn Walid

“And their saying: Surely we have killed the Messiah, Isa son of Marium, the apostle of Allah; and they did not kill him nor did they crucify him, but it appeared to them so (like Isa) and most surely those who differ therein are only in a doubt about it; they have no knowledge respecting it, but only follow a conjecture, and they killed him not for sure. Nay! Allah took him up to Himself; and Allah is Mighty, Wise.”

Who is speaking here? It appears that it is the Jews saying that they have killed Isa (Jesus) who is the son of Mary, the Messiah. This points out a discrepancy as the Jews would not have called Jesus the Messiah because they rejected him and on a finer point, it was not the Jews that killed Jesus, it was the Romans.

Then we have “those who differ” are in doubt and only follow conjecture. This suggests that those responsible for the death of Jesus also suffer with doubt about the event. If it was the Jews, to what proof historically did the Jews doubt this event. And if to Christians who doubt, again, what evidence or record can be cited to show that they are in doubt. It seems that Mohammad is making it appear that there was doubt among either Jews or Christians. The suggestion of “doubt” has only come from cultist groups.

Now to the main parts of this passage, they (Jews) did not kill or crucify him (Jesus) “but it appeared to them so like Isa.” Meaning that someone appeared like Isa (Jesus) to the disciples that was killed in place of Jesus. So through a miracle of Allah, another man was made to look and talk like Jesus and he went through the trial, the beating and the crucifixion. Meanwhile, Allah took Jesus to be with him in Heaven. “Allah took him up to Himself.”

There are number of problems that this passage causes for Islam to defend. One problem is that it contradicts other passages that teach that Jesus died. The other problem is that it makes Allah the creator of a great deception that spawned the Christian faith.

Here is the contradiction. In Surah 19 it says that Jesus (Isa) died and was raised to life.

“And peace on him on the day he was born, and on the day he dies, and on the day he is raised to life.” (Surah 19:15)
“And peace on me on the day I was born, and on the day I die, and on the day I am raised to life.” (Surah 19:33)

Some may argue that Surah 19 is not talking about Jesus. Of course, then my question is simply, what prophet is this passage talking about who was born, died and resurrected? Surah 19 may be explained away as someone else, BUT there is no doubt that Surah 3:54 is referring to Jesus.

“When Allah said: ‘O Jesus, I will cause thee to die and exalt thee in My presence and clear thee of those who disbelieve…”

Who changed the appearance of another man to look like Christ? If Allah miraculously took Jesus to heaven to spare him from suffering and the cross, then it must have been Allah that disguised the another person to die in place of Jesus.

The Gospel of Barnabas was written by an Ebonite and is an epistle that was rejected as being scripture by the early saints. It says:

“Truly I say that the voice, the face, and the person of Judas were so like to Jesus, that his disciples and believers entirely believed that he was Jesus; wherefore some departed from the doctrine of Jesus, believing that Jesus had been a false prophet, and that by art magic he had done the miracles which he did: for Jesus had said that he should not die till near the end of the world; for that at that time he should be taken away from the world.” (Barnabas 217:14)

Based on this reference and the fact that Judas was no longer with the Disciples in Acts chapter one, many assume that Allah used Judas to die in place of Christ on the cross.

Now if Allah took Jesus to be with him and delivered him from his suffering, then the disciples of Jesus would not have proclaimed that he was crucified and died. They would have preached his deliverance from suffering. Yet, according to the Qur’an, Allah created the illusion that Jesus died. But why? To what purpose? Having the disciples preaching that Jesus died instead of preaching that Allah had rescued him would only hurt the cause of Islam. Why did Allah create this deception which is the root of the Christian faith. Muslims only have Allah to blame for creating the most popular religion on earth that they say is false, and that all who believe in the Christian faith are damned.

What we really have here is Mohammad trying to explain the crucifixion. There has to be some explanation as to why Jesus’ disciples preached the crucifixion so passionately. So much so that they suffered martyrs deaths for preaching that Jesus was crucified. These disciples were convinced because they witnessed the crucifixion of Jesus with their own eyes. As Allah is the invention of Mohammad, Mohammad is trying to give a cleaver explanation but in doing so he created a bigger problem. Why create an illusion that only draws followers of Christ away from Islam?

Listen I don't want to get into a debate
But since you don't know Arabic and Translations can get tricky let me Explain the Quran and Jesus to you

When the Quran says the Jews killed Jesus and referred to him as the Messiah, the Jews were mocking Jesus
They obviously didn't believe he was the Messiah or a Prophet, so they mocked him and thought the killed him by handing him over to the Romans

There have been many theories as to who was killed in Jesus's place
Most Muslims (including Myself) say Judas

You also quoted

We Muslims believe in Jesus's second coming
We Believe he will kill the Dajjal the Antichrist and get rid of Gog and Magog
He will declare himself Muslim and live a fulfilling life then die normally and be buried next to the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)

He will be raised to life on Judgment Day
John the Baptist is referred to in the Quran similarly

"(And it was said unto his son) 0' John! Hold fast the scripture. And We gave him wisdom when he was a child! And compassion from Our presence and punity, and he was devout. And dutiful towards his parents. And he was not arrogant, rebellious. Peace on him the day he was born and the day he dies and the day he shall be raised alive.'' (19: 12-15)

You said "Allah is the invention of Mohammad"?
You do know that Christians who speak Arabic refer to God as Allah

Here's a video of Jesus in Islam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl6J_WRxKP8  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:44 am
Khalid Ibn Walid
Garland-Green
Khalid Ibn Walid

But since you don't know Arabic and Translations can get tricky let me Explain the Quran and Jesus to you

When the Quran says the Jews killed Jesus and referred to him as the Messiah, the Jews were mocking Jesus
They obviously didn't believe he was the Messiah or a Prophet, so they mocked him and thought the killed him by handing him over to the Romans

You also quoted

He will declare himself Muslim and live a fulfilling life then die normally and be buried next to the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)

"(And it was said unto his son) 0' John! Hold fast the scripture. And We gave him wisdom when he was a child! And compassion from Our presence and punity, and he was devout. And dutiful towards his parents. And he was not arrogant, rebellious. Peace on him the day he was born and the day he dies and the day he shall be raised alive.'' (19: 12-15)

]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl6J_WRxKP8

Where is the Dajjal metioned in the Quran? What does Anti-Christ mean in Islamic tradition? What is The Christ? Where does the Quran speak of Jesus' Second coming?

I am aware that the name Allah is used by Arab speaking Christians for the God of the Bible. In fact, the root from which the name is derived, ilah, stems from the ancient Semitic languages, corresponding to the Mesopotamian IL, as well as the Hebrew-Aramaic EL, as in Ishma-el, Immanu-el, Isra-el. These terms were often used to refer to any deity worshiped as a high god, especially the chief deity amongst a pantheon of lesser gods. As such, the Holy Bible uses the term as just one of the many titles for Yahweh, the only true God.

Yet the problem arises from the fact that Muslims insist that Allah is not a title, but the personal name of the God of Islam. This becomes problematic since according to the Holy Bible the name of the God of Abraham is Yahweh/Jehovah, not Allah:

God spoke further to Moses and said to him, "I am Yahweh (YHVH) and I appeared to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as God Almighty; BUT BY MY NAME, YAHWEH, I did not make myself known to them." Exodus 6:2-3
Therefore, Christians can use Allah as a title or a generic noun for the true God, but not as the personal name for the God of the Holy Bible.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Islamic Teacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:48 am
Garland-Green
Khalid Ibn Walid
Garland-Green
Khalid Ibn Walid

You also quoted

]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl6J_WRxKP8

Where is the Dajjal metioned in the Quran? What does Anti-Christ mean in Islamic tradition? What is The Christ? Where does the Quran speak of Jesus' Second coming?

I am aware that the name Allah is used by Arab speaking Christians for the God of the Bible. In fact, the root from which the name is derived, ilah, stems from the ancient Semitic languages, corresponding to the Mesopotamian IL, as well as the Hebrew-Aramaic EL, as in Ishma-el, Immanu-el, Isra-el. These terms were often used to refer to any deity worshiped as a high god, especially the chief deity amongst a pantheon of lesser gods. As such, the Holy Bible uses the term as just one of the many titles for Yahweh, the only true God.

Yet the problem arises from the fact that Muslims insist that Allah is not a title, but the personal name of the God of Islam. This becomes problematic since according to the Holy Bible the name of the God of Abraham is Yahweh/Jehovah, not Allah:

God spoke further to Moses and said to him, "I am Yahweh (YHVH) and I appeared to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as God Almighty; BUT BY MY NAME, YAHWEH, I did not make myself known to them." Exodus 6:2-3
Therefore, Christians can use Allah as a title or a generic noun for the true God, but not as the personal name for the God of the Holy Bible.

About God's name
I've never met a Muslim who thought that Allah was God's personal name
I don't know what His Holy Name is and i'm not curious to know it

Say, "Call upon Allah or call upon Rahman. Whichever [name] you call - to Him belong the best names." And do not recite [too] loudly in your prayer or [too] quietly but seek between that an [intermediate] way.
Quran 17:110

Allah (God) says in the Quran, "And he (Jesus عليه السلام) shall be a Sign (for the coming of) the Hour (of Resurrection); therefore have no doubt about it (the Hour). And follow me (Allah), this is a Straight Path." (Quran 43: 61

Here's a link about Jesus's second coming in Islam
http://discoveringislam.org/return_of_jesus.htm  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:23 pm
jack0076970
In Luke 7:26 Jesus is referring to John & in verse 27 refers back to Malachi's prophecy concerning John in Malachi 3:1

Jesus indeed was a prophet (but obviously so much more) as He identifies Himself in Matthew 13:57, Mark 6:4, Luke 4:24 & John 4:4 where after his rejection in Nazareth he declares "Verily I say unto you, No prophet is accepted in his own country".

Thank you for your comment. I must say, I truly repented when I did some research on that. It was talking about John the Baptist.

But anyways, Jesus is the only way to God. No mare prophet cannot even say these words. Moses couldn't, neither David, nor Isaiah or Jeremiah. There is no other way to Heaven except through Jesus Christ, the only one that is worthy for all of our praise!  

Biblical_Counselor

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:50 am
Khalid Ibn Walid
Garland-Green
Khalid Ibn Walid
Garland-Green
Khalid Ibn Walid

You also quoted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl6J_WRxKP8

About God's name
I've never met a Muslim who thought that Allah was God's personal name
I don't know what His Holy Name is and i'm not curious to know it

Say, "Call upon Allah or call upon Rahman. Whichever [name] you call - to Him belong the best names." And do not recite [too] loudly in your prayer or [too] quietly but seek between that an [intermediate] way.
Quran 17:110

Allah (God) says in the Quran, "And he (Jesus عليه السلام) shall be a Sign (for the coming of) the Hour (of Resurrection); therefore have no doubt about it (the Hour). And follow me (Allah), this is a Straight Path." (Quran 43: 61

Here's a link about Jesus's second coming in Islam
http://discoveringislam.org/return_of_jesus.htm

Convertingtoislam.com says something else entirely:

"Muslims believe in one God, Allah. None has the right to be worshiped but Allah; there is no partner unto Him. He has power over everything. Islam is based on this concept which Allah has expressed in The Qur'an:

He is Allah, besides whom there is no other God, the All-Knower of the unseen and the seen. Allah is the Most Benficent, the Most Merciful. He is Allah, the King, the Holy, the One, Free from all defects, the Giver of security, the Guardian, the All-Mighty, the Compeller, the Supreme. Exalted be Allah from all that they associate as partner with Him. He is Allah, the Creator, the Originator of all things, the Bestower of forms. His are the most Gracious Names. All that is in the heavens and the earth glorify Him. And He is the All-Mighty and the Wise One. [The Holy Qur'an, Surah 59:22-24]"  
Inspiration

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games