Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Muggle World (Chatterbox)
Muggle Wizard/Wicth Hunter...possible?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ronyo Storm

Werewolf

8,900 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:35 pm
Bringing the idea over from chat to clean things up just a bit. What are everyone's thoughts on the matter?

Magic is not all powerful and not infallible so it can be beaten and gotten around. If I shot a wizard in the back of the head with a gun and he didn't know I was there the wizard still dies. An explosion still hurts a witch and wizard like it does everyone else, and why couldn't a muggle be able to evade a Hit Wizard squad afterwards? Special agents, terrorists, and even general criminals do it against the latest technology that sometimes works just like magic, and sometimes even faster than magic...a phone call is faster than an owl.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:59 pm
A muggle witch hunter would, in my personal opinion, not exist. Reasons:
1) They possess no magic and does not know of the magical world. If they don't know, how will they judge who's what? Witches and wizards, even under the threat of nukes, can hide themselves.
2) Ministry of Magic would erase their memories, calmly and quietly disposing the muggle in question. Magic, unlike guns, does not need to be reloaded. The status of secrecy for magic is strictly imposed. I don't believe that a muggle, working alone or in a small group, would be able to figure an entire other world by themselves.
3) Real world puts limits on nuclear weapons and weapons of mass destruction. Any muggle would be branded as a terrorist if they got their hands on nuclear weapons. Just look at Iran and North Korea.
4) Spells can be created. A spell for intangibility, multiple shields, etc. Spells could be created to combat muggle weapons. If a student can take a 100kg iron ore traveling at 45 mph to the head, I think magic can prevent a wizard or witch from getting shot. At least, prevent them from getting /fatally/ shot.

If a magical folk gets shot with a gun, it would create chaos around the Ministry of Magic. They could easily hunt them down using the eclectic selection of tracking devices and erase their memories. The person in question may be able to evade being tracked down for a certain amount of time, but they wouldn't be able to stay hidden forever. Considering we're dealing with magic, by the time a muggle is disposed of, there wouldn't be significant damage that would forever cripple the wizarding community. Like missile defense systems, a missile heading towards magical grounds could be detected using barrier methods, and then intercepted with explosive magic.

Let's move onto the psychology of this all, okay? A person believing in the existence of a wizarding community would be ridiculed and ostracized. The mental strain of isolation would prompt the person from giving up. Let's assume the person is anti-social and couldn't care less about relationships. So they live their life completely isolated from the rest of the society (not literally, just emotionally). Their conscience would stop them from attaining weapons of mass destruction, or even pull the trigger on a potentially innocent person, who they may or may not know to be a witch or a wizard. Let's assume the person is a sociopath and doesn't care about the well-being of others. Their guilt would eat them away, for killing someone without truly knowing them. If in the process they hurt or killed a multitude of others, they would feel the guilt, and therefore become unstable. Let's also assume they're psychotic and doesn't have emotions. Um... at this point, shouldn't they have gotten into some type of trouble with the law? A psychotic, sociopathic, anti-social person would usually raise concerns within the community they live in.

Okay, let's assume they're like those killers who pretend to be completely normal. Angelic by day, demonic by night. You know, those people who keep their interests away from public eye? Yeah, I don't believe they can keep it hidden forever, especially something as big as a wizarding community. Wouldn't they, like any normal human would do, brandish their findings to the public? At this point, the Ministry of Magic would find out and do something about it. But let's assume, against human nature, that they do not want attention. How are they going to keep the other humans from finding out that they've been hiding weapons and ammunition, stashes of it, in an attempt to annihilate witches and wizards? Suspicion would arise, certainly, considering the strict rules on weapons. Let's assume they get it all illegally, in the shadows away from public eyes. At this point, I'd just pray for the safety of those around them.

Muggle witch hunters isn't feasible. However, I don't have anything against squib witch hunters. My main problem is for the muggle to find out about the existence of wizards in such strict secrecy rules and the forever careful Ministry of Magic, and then carry out destruction against magic. Squib hunters, it bypasses the big issue I have. Intelligence-based, squibs and wizards are on equal grounds. With muggle weapons, it is entirely possible for squibs to become witch hunters. At least, in my opinion.

TL;DR: Just read it.  

Utsuha Moon

Crew

Sparkly Lunatic

21,075 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Object of Affection 150

Xistund

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:42 am
I was thinking of something along the lines of this. I agree fully with Moony that a squib witch hunter would be more far easier to pull off *had been planing on doing one since he saw Hansel and Gretel witch hunters.* >.> But yea they would most likely want to have reasons for hating there magic kin since Squibs are basically treated like dirt or at least looked down upon. But that could be an advantage. In a way they can go between the two worlds since they know about the wizerding world and its secrets but lacking magic they can easily blend in with muggles. And from what I've seen they seem to have strong bonds with cats or at least Arabella Figg and Argus Filch. I'm not sure if all of them are like the two but if you think about it Mrs. Norris was basically Filch's main weapon and an effective one for the most part. Now imagine a network of cats or Kneazle like that. You could have wizards being spied on without them knowing it.  
Muggle World (Chatterbox)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games