College Classes at a High School

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Haunting Paranoia

Wheezing Bunny

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:46 am
I made this thread in hopes that a few questions could be cleared for me. I will happen to be taking Philosophy Intro and General Anthropology next year as a Sophomore whereas they're considered college classes at my school. Well, first of all if you wouldn't mind clearing up a few rumors for me or rather pointers in general. What is the atmosphere like? Are there little to no regular assignments as they mostly assign projects and passively teach for tests? Will there perhaps be college students attending said classes alongside me at the high school? Will the professors be prestigious and require not to be treated as friendly as you would with your other teachers? Will my study habits have to change drastically? redface

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:51 pm
Bump.

Haunting Paranoia

Wheezing Bunny

StrayKit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:55 pm
back at my high school we had Concurrent Credit courses, being that they were classes closer to a college level that you could receive college credit for if the university accepted it. if it's like that then no, you won't be taking it with college students. however if it is on a college campus there is a possibility of that if that particular class isn't set aside just for students still in high school. the teacher's method of teaching is different from high school too. they teach you more than just what you need to learn for the exam and want you to actually retain and think about the information rather than just regurgitate it back onto the page. so like with anthropology, rather than just knowing all the terms, the theories, the types of humanoid skeletons and such, they'll want you to be able to apply it to other areas if at all possible, and the same goes for any philosophy course. assignments vary too. most of the classes will have reading homework, being a chapter out of the text book you need to have read by the next class to help you understand the material better, but some have assignments throughout to help you with that too. be it writing a paper on the subject to show how well you understand it or something else but it does happen.

moving on again, a lot of the teachers actually really like talking to their students either about the material or expanding on it, answering questions, what have you. at least the ones I have. they like students who are engaged in the lessons and material and if you're a high school student in a college level course i'm sure they'd expect you to come up to them a bit, at least when the classes were first starting out so you got the hang of things. I will say that yes, your studying may have to change a bit. college courses have a lot more information crammed into them that you have to work with remembering or connecting to later and previous topics covered. as an example, taking a second language course in high school for an entire year would be the same as taking one semester of it in college. the workload is a bit heavier, the recommendation is that per week you spend an hour studying per credit the course is worth. so math/science courses that are 4 credits should have 4 hours of studying that subject alone. so your study methods may change but the good news is that there's a lot of resources available and, especially if you're with other college students, you can get together in study groups which really helps with the studying as well because you can talk to others about it too.

....okay that was a lot of typing but I really hope something in there makes you a little less worried. college courses are different from high school ones but if you pay attention and do the assignments then they're a lot of fun too and then they aren't nearly as stressful or scary.  
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:30 pm
Haunting Paranoia
I made this thread in hopes that a few questions could be cleared for me. I will happen to be taking Philosophy Intro and General Anthropology next year as a Sophomore whereas they're considered college classes at my school. Well, first of all if you wouldn't mind clearing up a few rumors for me or rather pointers in general. What is the atmosphere like? Are there little to no regular assignments as they mostly assign projects and passively teach for tests? Will there perhaps be college students attending said classes alongside me at the high school? Will the professors be prestigious and require not to be treated as friendly as you would with your other teachers? Will my study habits have to change drastically? redface

Late on replying to this, but basically no to all your questions.

College-level high school courses are equivalent to college credits.

It's a very, very good idea to take as many of these courses as you possibly can!

I didn't take as many as I could, and regret it.

They are basically free college credit.

They will be exactly the same as any other high school course, just with more slightly more advanced material.

You will have a final exam of some sort that will qualify you for an amount (2-4, probably) of equivalent credits.

Those credits will transfer to a college/university.

I was in 200 level foreign language, history, and english courses my freshman year (typically 100)......but junior high level algebra and sciences (below 100 neutral )

flauterfli

Gekko

3,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Timid 100
29. ✿ - - - School and Work

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items