Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Christian Advice
Christian Self Help Books for Teens?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CheyenneServant

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:27 pm
I am young, only 17 and feel I need knowledge about life since I lack a lot of life expirience. I would like to know of some Christian self help books on how to grow up and be wise. Can anybody send me some names of some books that might help me grow up? I thank you guys so much for always helping me and I really feel you guys have helped so much.  
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:30 am
Recommended books :

The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For? by Rick Warren
http://purposedriven.com/

Desiring God by John Piper
http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/books/desiring-god  

Meili Kyumee Youichi

Blessed Friend

7,700 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Contributor 150

Islamic Teacher

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:25 am
i read an amazing book called "Kosher Jesus" you should check it out from your public Library  
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:56 am
Khalid Ibn Walid
i read an amazing book called "Kosher Jesus" you should check it out from your public Library

Even fellow Jews consider that book heresy, let alone Christians; the OP believes Jesus is divine and literally resurrected, as Christians should; it's what our scriptures imply explicitly. Further, the book is unrelated to what she asked: it's written by Shmuley Boteach, a Jewish Rabbi, yet she specifically asked for Christian books, and specifically concerning wisdom about life, not dissecting Jesus' identity. If you're going to be shady and manipulative, reconsider taking part in this guild. Men of God need to be honorable honest people, upright in all they do.

@OP: I would recommend reading through the book of Proverbs and the Book of Ecclesiastes written by King Solomon—which are located in the bible already; I'm not saying you can't venture out and read what fellow Christians write, but don't skip the books in the bible that already contain a lot of wisdom on life. Human nature hasn't changed. Those two specifically (Proverbs and Ecclesiastes) have a lot of wisdom concerning life in general. Oh and the Psalms and the Book of Job as well. But definitely start with Proverbs; the book even begins by saying that "giving wisdom to the young" (paraphrasing) is the reason it was written:

Quote:
Proverbs 1:1-7 (NIV)
Purpose and Theme

1 The proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel:

2 for gaining wisdom and instruction;
for understanding words of insight;
3 for receiving instruction in prudent behavior,
doing what is right and just and fair;
4 for giving prudence to those who are simple,[a]
knowledge and discretion to the young
5 let the wise listen and add to their learning,
and let the discerning get guidance—
6 for understanding proverbs and parables,
the sayings and riddles of the wise.
7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge,
but fools[c] despise wisdom and instruction.

Footnotes:

a. Proverbs 1:4 The Hebrew word rendered simple in Proverbs denotes a person who is gullible, without moral direction and inclined to evil.
b. Proverbs 1:6 Or understanding a proverb, namely, a parable, / and the sayings of the wise, their riddles
c. Proverbs 1:7 The Hebrew words rendered fool in Proverbs, and often elsewhere in the Old Testament, denote a person who is morally deficient.

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

Islamic Teacher

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:21 pm
real eyes realize
Khalid Ibn Walid

Even fellow Jews consider that book heresy, let alone Christians; the OP believes Jesus is divine and literally resurrected, as Christians should; it's what our scriptures imply explicitly. Further, the book is unrelated to what she asked: it's written by Shmuley Boteach, a Jewish Rabbi, yet she specifically asked for Christian books, and specifically concerning wisdom about life, not dissecting Jesus' identity. If you're going to be shady and manipulative, reconsider taking part in this guild. Men of God need to be honorable honest people, upright in all they do.

@OP: I would recommend reading through the book of Proverbs and the Book of Ecclesiastes written by King Solomon—which are located in the bible already; I'm not saying you can't venture out and read what fellow Christians write, but don't skip the books in the bible that already contain a lot of wisdom on life. Human nature hasn't changed. Those two specifically (Proverbs and Ecclesiastes) have a lot of wisdom concerning life in general. Oh and the Psalms and the Book of Job as well. But definitely start with Proverbs; the book even begins by saying that "giving wisdom to the young" (paraphrasing) is the reason it was written:

Quote:
Proverbs 1:1-7 (NIV)
Purpose and Theme

1 The proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel:

2 for gaining wisdom and instruction;
for understanding words of insight;
3 for receiving instruction in prudent behavior,
doing what is right and just and fair;
4 for giving prudence to those who are simple,[a]
knowledge and discretion to the young
5 let the wise listen and add to their learning,
and let the discerning get guidance—
6 for understanding proverbs and parables,
the sayings and riddles of the wise.
7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge,
but fools[c] despise wisdom and instruction.

Footnotes:

a. Proverbs 1:4 The Hebrew word rendered simple in Proverbs denotes a person who is gullible, without moral direction and inclined to evil.
b. Proverbs 1:6 Or understanding a proverb, namely, a parable, / and the sayings of the wise, their riddles
c. Proverbs 1:7 The Hebrew words rendered fool in Proverbs, and often elsewhere in the Old Testament, denote a person who is morally deficient.

All I said was that its a good book, if that's a crime , sue me  
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:32 pm
Khalid Ibn Walid

Why you even bother to defend yourself when your intentions are blatantly clear can only be chalked up to pride. You can't fool God. You know very well what intentions you had by totally avoiding what she asked and posting about a book that denies Jesus' divinity.

If you're going to accuse someone of ignoring the "topic" being discussed, look at yourself first.  

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

Islamic Teacher

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:36 pm
real eyes realize
Khalid Ibn Walid

Why you even bother to defend yourself when your intentions are blatantly clear can only be chalked up to pride. You can't fool God. You know very well what intentions you had by totally avoiding what she asked and posting about a book that denies Jesus' divinity.

If you're going to accuse someone of ignoring the "topic" being discussed, look at yourself first.

I'm not fooling anyone
All i said was that I liked the book and If she wanted to she could read it so she might learn something, i learned alot
P.S. I don't believe Prophet Jesus (peace be upon him) is divine, if she believes that then thats up to her
And i'm not going to debate about a book with a misguided "christian" like yourself  
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:44 pm
I'll recommend another book called "Good Book" writen by David Plotz  

Islamic Teacher

Servant Reborn

Devout Worshipper

12,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:38 pm
Purpose Driven Life was really good book. There's another book I read, but I don't have it on me. It was similar. I'll look up the book next time I visit my dad as it is in my dad's home.

Found God's Will by John McArthur was nice too.  
Christian Advice

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games