Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply Off-Topic
I might be immune to caffeine

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Does caffeine make you feel more awake?
  Yes
  No
  I have a restraining order against caffeine...
View Results

Crafty Sketch

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:58 pm
Caffeine usually doesn't work on me. Yet, I still drink coffee and hope that it would help me wake up more when I'm working. At times it helps me a little bit when I'm pretty tired, but not so much that I'm fully awake. Could it be that since I usually drink one or two cups of coffee each day that the effects just doesn't work on me? Or is it because that caffeine doesn't work on certain people like me?  
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:19 pm
Different people need different amounts to feel the effects, I think. It takes like 5 cups (I really like coffee) for me to feel any effects. Either it's natural or you've gotten immune to smaller amounts and need more for anything to happen.  

Crimson Hawthorne

Crafty Sketch

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:31 pm
It makes sense. I don't drink a whole lot of coffee because of the amount of sweet tasting creamer and/or sugar I put in it. I can't handle so much sweetness in one sitting like I've used to. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:31 pm
I could be wrong but I think you build up a tolerance to caffeine. That might be your problem.  

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300

Jisatsu_no_Tenshi

Man-Hungry Sex Symbol

8,350 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:35 am
Coffee has no effect on me. But then again I survived high school drinking 36 cups a day.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:12 am
Crafty Sketch

Caffeine is a stimulant. It's not so much that you build up a tolerance but that the chemicals in your body that naturally stimulate you become regulated in a way that creates the ideal level of stimulation for your body in part with caffeine.

That is to say, each of our bodies have a normal level of chemicals that naturally stimulate us. After habitually consuming caffeinated products our natural chemical levels heighten or lower so that when combined with the added caffeine from consumption our levels are once again balanced.

That's why people go through withdrawals when they suddenly go cold turkey on carbonated drinks, coffee, [insert caffeinated beverage here].

If coffee isn't having the effect that you want then you should, in order to feel more awake, increase your caffeine intake. You could do this by mixing in hot teas with your regular consumption of coffee. Also, certain foods contain caffeine, chocolate being one of the most widely recognized.

For you I'd say that it's not that caffeine doesn't work on you it's just that your body may have a higher threshold for chemical stimulation than other people so that while a cup of coffee may energize one person it has hardly any effect on you.

Personally, one cup of coffee a day helps me be more awake and alert but I'm noticing more and more that two cups is steadily becoming the amount I need to get through the day.

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200

Crafty Sketch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:47 am
Der Fluch des Pharao
Crafty Sketch

Caffeine is a stimulant. It's not so much that you build up a tolerance but that the chemicals in your body that naturally stimulate you become regulated in a way that creates the ideal level of stimulation for your body in part with caffeine.

That is to say, each of our bodies have a normal level of chemicals that naturally stimulate us. After habitually consuming caffeinated products our natural chemical levels heighten or lower so that when combined with the added caffeine from consumption our levels are once again balanced.

That's why people go through withdrawals when they suddenly go cold turkey on carbonated drinks, coffee, [insert caffeinated beverage here].

If coffee isn't having the effect that you want then you should, in order to feel more awake, increase your caffeine intake. You could do this by mixing in hot teas with your regular consumption of coffee. Also, certain foods contain caffeine, chocolate being one of the most widely recognized.

For you I'd say that it's not that caffeine doesn't work on you it's just that your body may have a higher threshold for chemical stimulation than other people so that while a cup of coffee may energize one person it has hardly any effect on you.

Personally, one cup of coffee a day helps me be more awake and alert but I'm noticing more and more that two cups is steadily becoming the amount I need to get through the day.

That makes a lot of sense. Knowing this, maybe I just need to drink 3 or 4 cups of coffee. cat_3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:42 pm
Crafty Sketch

Hahha, there ya go!

Glad to help c:

You just have to think of it in the context of drug addiction, which is essentially what it is.

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
Off-Topic

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers