Submit

Eleiza0250

Shy Genius

12,950 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:13 am
I work as a desk clerk for my university. Over the summer, I work at two dorms, one is just a regular dorm for regular students, the other is a fancy dorm for only the basketball players. my school is sort of known for basketball, apparently we're really good at it, we've won several championships, but i don't know anything about sports. Anyway. my girlfriend has been coming along to work with me just to hang out in the lobby. I work at night so being alone means i'm much more likely to fall asleep since no one really comes in at night. sometimes I come out from behind the desk to sit with her for a bit, sometimes she comes behind to hug or look at something i'm watching on my computer. i'm always careful, however, to be paying attention in case a resident comes in. yesterday i got scolded/reprimanded/given a severe warning for her sleeping in the lobby, coming behind the desk for brief periods, and for me going out for brief periods because it's "unprofessional," which makes sense, but doesn't stop me from being annoyed. now we're not allowed to have guests over for more than two hours and I'm in danger of losing my job and because my self worth is connected to me having a job this could go sour very soon and very badly. i'm probably over reacting and i know i deserved to be called out on it and my girlfriend feels bad about getting me in trouble, but...i just...need to rant.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:04 pm
I'm sorry to hear work has been a bit rough. I've had friends working late nights like at gas stops, stores, lobbies, etc. and say it's difficult because it's late at night, gets boring, and sometimes even scary and they do like having friends with them. Some bosses don't mind and understand completely, and others - not so much.

It's understandable to be a bit annoyed at getting a warning, most people would be. Instead of staying super upset, perhaps push this experience behind you and take it as a learning experience or a not-so-fun experience and keep going. Keep a positive attitude, work hard, and stay to the rules. If you have a hard time with this job, look for another job on perhaps on campus or nearby 3nodding  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

Zariah Khi

Lavish Dabbler

13,050 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:40 pm
Ranting is good you know, just let it all out. I love ranting to it;s like throwing out bad stuff and feeling relief afterwards. I hate my job too btw  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:19 pm
Aquatic_blue
I'm sorry to hear work has been a bit rough. I've had friends working late nights like at gas stops, stores, lobbies, etc. and say it's difficult because it's late at night, gets boring, and sometimes even scary and they do like having friends with them. Some bosses don't mind and understand completely, and others - not so much.

It's understandable to be a bit annoyed at getting a warning, most people would be. Instead of staying super upset, perhaps push this experience behind you and take it as a learning experience or a not-so-fun experience and keep going. Keep a positive attitude, work hard, and stay to the rules. If you have a hard time with this job, look for another job on perhaps on campus or nearby 3nodding

thanks for the support smile I know I deserved the warning, so I'm not technically mad at my boss, just mad at myself and the situation in general; it's frustrating when the jobs I am able to perform are very limited and I'm terrified of losing this job.  

Eleiza0250

Shy Genius

12,950 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Bookworm 100

Eleiza0250

Shy Genius

12,950 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:20 pm
-alegna ennazus-
Ranting is good you know, just let it all out. I love ranting to it;s like throwing out bad stuff and feeling relief afterwards. I hate my job too btw

where do you work? the reason I'm so upset is because I actually like my job (because I have trouble dealing with people (social anxiety) but I work at night so I don't really have to deal with that many) and I'm terrified of losing it  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:26 am
Eleiza0250

I work as a secretary of a Director in a university, he's actually nice except in the actual tasks I'm just annoyed how unprofessional he is. Plus he's accomplishing nothing at all I don't know how he got to the top management.

-I agree with you sometimes your work people can be the problem.

Zariah Khi

Lavish Dabbler

13,050 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

xXNi-ChanXx

Lonely Werewolf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:52 am
Its okay to rant. Heck I rant all the time but I know for some people its sorta annoying n.n;
I know how much one can hate work especially during the night. For now, I say try to follow the rules, and just try to stay out of trouble until things cool down but if you can't take the job anymore than I just say look for another one. smile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:11 pm
Eleiza0250
Aquatic_blue

thanks for the support smile I know I deserved the warning, so I'm not technically mad at my boss, just mad at myself and the situation in general; it's frustrating when the jobs I am able to perform are very limited and I'm terrified of losing this job.

I can imagine that would be stressful feeling limited and afraid to lose a needed job. Forgive yourself. Things like this happen to people and we need to say, "Yes, that was a mistake." and move on. We don't learn unless we make mistakes 3nodding I do hope that things are looking up! ^_^  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

Eleiza0250

Shy Genius

12,950 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:03 pm
-alegna ennazus-
Eleiza0250

I work as a secretary of a Director in a university, he's actually nice except in the actual tasks I'm just annoyed how unprofessional he is. Plus he's accomplishing nothing at all I don't know how he got to the top management.

-I agree with you sometimes your work people can be the problem.

how unprofessional is he? are you harassed? sometimes the basketball players harass the desk clerks because for some reason we all seem to be female.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:04 pm
Aquatic_blue
Eleiza0250
Aquatic_blue

I can imagine that would be stressful feeling limited and afraid to lose a needed job. Forgive yourself. Things like this happen to people and we need to say, "Yes, that was a mistake." and move on. We don't learn unless we make mistakes 3nodding I do hope that things are looking up! ^_^

my girlfriend has a disability too and it's sort of funny how desk clerking (AKA sitting at a desk) is a job we are both able to do yet neither one of us are able to get rehired for the fall.  

Eleiza0250

Shy Genius

12,950 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Bookworm 100

Zariah Khi

Lavish Dabbler

13,050 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:46 am
Eleiza0250

No, he's not harassing me it's just he's all talk and no work... wink  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:38 pm
Eleiza0250
Aquatic_blue
Eleiza0250
Aquatic_blue

my girlfriend has a disability too and it's sort of funny how desk clerking (AKA sitting at a desk) is a job we are both able to do yet neither one of us are able to get rehired for the fall.

Hopefully something will work out smile  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

Eleiza0250

Shy Genius

12,950 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:50 am
update: (if anyone is concerned) I am not fired, I am not in danger of being fired anymore, I am just not rehired for the fall.  
24. ✿ - - - Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games