Welcome to Gaia! ::

It's A Girl Thing! ♥

Back to Guilds

A Family, A Home. 

Tags: Linkin Park, Contests, Hangout, Role Playing, Twilight 

Reply 29. ✿ - - - School and Work
Assignment help? (It's a survey type thing?)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

free gold
  +1
View Results

Immoral Oblivion

Distinct Noob

9,050 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Partygoer 500
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:34 pm
Stump three adults by asking them to use two of the following words in sentences: circumvallate, sanguine, cornucopia, pontoon. Ask them to explain the origin of the word. Create a chart which contains their name, their sentence and the English word from which they believe the word to be derived.

Tried this in the chatterbox hoping for quick replies, but obviously most of Gaia has gone to s**t which reminds me why I stopped frequenting and quit the forums.

Any help is appreciated. heart  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:05 pm
that sounds like a lot of work... ; n ;  

hoenest

Darling

Immoral Oblivion

Distinct Noob

9,050 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Partygoer 500
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:30 pm
tanqela
that sounds like a lot of work... ; n ;
Aww, it really isn't. sad You don't even have to use the words correctly, just what you think they mean. And it's only two of them, haha. Then guessing the root language of the chosen words.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:22 am
I know Sanguine means "Blood" in Latin from the Skyrim game. rofl
Other than that, the other words I've never heard of and I would have to cheat to find their meanings.

I'm sorry. ;_;  

TH3_G1ITCH_

Enduring Receiver

13,300 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Cat Fancier 100

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:57 am
Without using a dictionary, these words are unfamiliar to me.

I will say that circumvallate sounds like a type of state of mind or a certain situation. Sounds French.

Sanguine sounds like a type of pasta razz or a state of being. Sounds Latin.

A cornucopia is one of those things they put in all those school flyers around Thanksgiving break that are shaped like a horn and have all the fruits and veggies inside it as maybe a symbol of being plentiful. Sounds American to me, but I'm not sure - I can believe if this has Latin/European roots.

Pontoon reminds me of the word "platoon"...although I don't think they have the same meaning. No idea where this would come from...sounds like it'd come from some island somewhere -shrugs-

Oh yes...a sentence...I'll probably fail horribly, but I'll give it a try:

"Sanguine filled the air as the refugees waited on the pontoon near the circumvallate in hopes to catch a ship that would offer them a new life, as plentiful as the cornucopia." <--- Hope my guess was decent xD ha ha.

Now I really gotta look up these interesting words xD new vocabulary is always good razz  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:57 am
I'm going to be the huge English nerd here, given that... I'm an English major!

Circumvallate: {adj} Surrounded by or as if by a rampart.

Sanguine: {adj} 1. Cheerfully optimistic, hopeful, or confident. 2. Having blood as the predominating humor. 3. Reddish; ruddy.

Cornucopia: {n} A horn containing food, drink, etc., in endless supply, said to have been a horn of the goat Amalthaea.

Pontoon: {n} A boat or some other floating structure used as one of the supports for a temporary bridge over a river.

Now for a sentence then, yes?

The sanguine captain of the pontoon looked out over the water; despite the circumvallate waters, they still had a veritable cornucopia of supplies to deliver to the mainland.

Whoot! I used all four! No stumping me! :3 Good luck in your quest, dear friend!

Cinnabun Gryffie

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100
29. ✿ - - - School and Work

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items