Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I was all perky this morning too.
  Now I'm forced to have a somber day.
View Results

LOL shutterBUG

Dapper Ladykiller

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:51 am
Some of my students weren't even born yet.
That's ******** weird to me.

One of my 6th grade homeroom kids was like "How can I "never forget" if I wasn't born yet?
2002, ya'll. So weird.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:23 pm
It was so weird when I was teaching 3rd grade and all my kids were born in 2003-4. Wtf. Like, they knew about 9/11 and could talk about it, but none of them had been born.  

Undecidability

Shirtless Fairy

9,075 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Sailor Stephy

Obsessive Cultist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:55 pm
It makes me feel like an old fart even though I was in 7th grade when it happened. I kinda envy those kids not old enough to remember because I remember being so ******** paranoid and depressed for a good two months after it happened and lived in fear that more s**t was going to happen. I saw that s**t live on tv in school and the worst was seeing people jump from the buildings.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:41 pm
http://eltigrechico.tumblr.com/post/60977030941/the-unpopular-opinions-i-think-that-the-usa  

paper giraffes

Wisdom Chyck

O.G. Codger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:43 pm
paper giraffes
http://eltigrechico.tumblr.com/post/60977030941/the-unpopular-opinions-i-think-that-the-usa
I can't help but agree with this.
I mean, I'm not American and yes it was, IS a terrible tragedy,
but it's starting to feel like people are taking this tragedy and reducing it to nothing more than a spectacle;
something the media can whore out for a few more ratings, ya know?

I completely forgot it was 9/11 today until they mentioned it on the late night news.

... Also, I was in my first year of university when it happened.
You guys are making me feel really ******** old.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:25 am
Wisdom Chyck
paper giraffes
but it's starting to feel like people are taking this tragedy and reducing it to nothing more than a spectacle;

I completely forgot it was 9/11 today until they mentioned it on the late night news.

I agree with all of this except the part where I was in university.
I was in like...
Eight grade I think.
How old even are you, you silly person?  

Felin Greenleaf

LOL shutterBUG

Dapper Ladykiller

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:55 am
Felin Greenleaf
Wisdom Chyck
paper giraffes

I was in like...
Eight grade I think.
I agree with all of this.
Its sad, yes.
But we REALLY need to move on.

Also, I was in 5th grade.
Since everyone is saying how old they were.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:41 am
I can say the same about most of you about

-The USSR dissolving and the end of the Cold War Era.
-The Challenger shuttle explosion.
-The fall of the Berlin wall
I was pretty much too young to really understand the significance of those events when they happened, but I was around for them.

-The Oklahoma City bombings. I don't think anyone here is young enough to have not been born yet in 1995, but most of you were probably very young when it happened.

And while I largely agree with Alyssa's post (which if you didn't read it, the tl;dr of it is 'Never forget, but don't forget to move on and look forward as well) the only thing that really will get me going is when people make fun of me for still caring about it. I didn't watch any of the ceremonies yesterday. I don't harp on it or wave flags or share statuses on Facebook, but it was certainly in the back of my mind all day.

After all, Washington DC is basically my backyard. It was really close to home for me. I was on the phone with my mother, crying and begging her to come home because the company we work for is considered a high risk target because of the type of work we do.

And in general it was just a horrible year overall for me. 2001 was probably the worst year of my life, so 9/11 was just the diarrhea icing on a giant s**t cake, and watching what is essentially live news snuff of people jump from the 80th floor of a burning building to their death affected me quite a bit that day.

I was 21 at the time, btw.  

Xiporah

marzipancakes

6,450 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:40 pm
I don't think it's THAT unpopular of an opinion tbh. Like, it's been 12 years and yeah, we're STILL airing specials on it ALL week, everyone STILL hates ALL Muslims because of it, we were at war for YEARS with no real goal at all, and I feel like it just exists now as a reason to continue to hate anyone even resembling Muslim, because it gives us an excuse other than "they're different than us."

It's horrible that so many people died and how it affected so many more people, but that's about all the significance it holds for me now. Obviously we should never forget the people that died or the people that managed to save so many others, but it's definitely time to get over it a bit. But nope we're just a super racist country so of course we can't do that.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:47 pm
Ugh there was a crazy at the bus/train station today screaming about Obama and muslims.

But he was insane.

I felt bad for the families yesterday. It's like they're never allowed to move on and fully heal from their loved ones' deaths. Every year they have to relive it. It's a holiday now, so every year people who know they lost someone will say something to them about it.

Xiporah

Wisdom Chyck

O.G. Codger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:28 pm
Felin Greenleaf
I was in like...
Eight grade I think.
I'm two years younger than Xippy
(I'll let you do the math)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:23 pm
Wisdom Chyck
Felin Greenleaf
I was in like...
Eight grade I think.
I'm two years younger than Xippy
(I'll let you do the math)

I DUNNO HOW OLD SHE IS EITHER  

Felin Greenleaf

Xiporah

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:35 am
How do people not know how old I am? Maybe I forgot to announce it on my birthday this year.

I'm 33

I like my age the older I get. I don't know why.

EDIT: Oh it's not on my profile anymore. Carry on!

The Literate Spam Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games