Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
So Macklemore

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lovely Morningstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:07 am
Why is it when I go online I am seeing hate from gay people? What did he even DO to warrant such a reaction from the gay community? All I heard was that he made a catchy song, with a great message and showed his support for the LGBT community. And from what I have seen it's not like he went back on this stance, or lied about how he felt, I am genuinely curious here as it makes no sense.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:16 pm
I'm not sure. People are rando-🐒🐱 83333333333  

Katana left the site

Angelic Shade

Emo Kuromi Nui

Everyday Loiterer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:28 pm
People be #cray. Macklemore is a sweet guy who supports the LGBT community!!! xp  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:14 pm
I think the issue is that people look and say, "You're a heterosexual white male, what do you know of our problems?"

It's actually a more recent thing considering how long the song has technically been released (although not so popular).

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200

TigerLilyChick

Devoted Lovergirl

20,475 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:17 am
I think people are upset that Mary Lambert, who is a lesbian, didn't get to make a speech when the song won and Macklemore made the speech.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:02 pm
Because internet. It doesn't have to make sense, it doesn't have to be right. That's just how it is.  

XrosHeartless

Wrathful Shade

iDERZY

Thieving Cat

14,150 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Streaker 200
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:31 am
... Macklemore wrote the song.... so I don't see why there should be an issue if Mary Lambert didn't get to make a speech. People really annoy me.

So I looked it up a bit. It seems like people are are upset because people assume that he is trying to speak for the gay community and quite alot of gay people are furious with being talked over when it comes to raising voices to rally for gay marriage. To me, it shouldn't matter if you are gay, straight, bisexual, pansexual, asexual, etc. If you support gay marriage and want to raise the voices of those who support and want it to happen, then don't quiet any voice, regardless if it is a straight white man or a gay man or whatever. It really irritates me.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:51 pm
There will always be people who are upset, no matter what someone does or how they go about it. You cannot please everyone, and this is just another example of that.
I can certainly understand why those who oppose same-sex marriage (and by this, I mean members of the queer community who oppose it) would be annoyed, and even if I don't quite agree with them, they certainly have a right to express their frustration.

Personally, I really love what I've heard of Macklemore (and Ryan Lewis, I should add), and already was by the time I heard Same Love. I can't say I ever imagined I'd hear a hip-hop or rap song that was promoting marriage equality, and I find the song incredibly moving.

It's funny, he touches on something similar to this whole issue in another song, A Wake, although the issue is race rather than marriage equality. He's well aware that others might take offense to anything he has to say on the subject of race because it's not "his" problem, and doesn't affect him directly. So I can only assume he's aware of the same possibility when it comes to talking about queer rights.

Quote:
And my subconcious telling me stop it
This is an issue that you shouldn't get involved in
Don't even tweet, R.I.P Trayvon Martin
Don't wanna be that white dude, million man marchin'
Fighting for our freedom that my people stole
Don't wanna make all my white fans uncomfortable
But you don't even have a ********' song for radio
Why you out here talkin race, tryin' to save the ********' globe
Don't get involved with the causes in mind
White privilege, white guilt, at the same damn time

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Cassy3v3lyn

Lonely Lover

18,625 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Budding Witch 250
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:35 pm
Basically people are upset that a non-minority wants to help fix problems minorities are having. Happens any time someone from a majority tries to speak positively for equal rights for people.
Apparently if you don't have the problem, you're not allowed to want to fix it.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:23 pm
I am just happy someone in the Rap industry is supportive of the gay community.  

Lagomorphine

Golden Girl

14,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Maculkin

Super Winner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:40 pm
idk but people always gotta be mad about somethin  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:56 am
I think the biggest problem people are having with it is the fact that he hasn't stated what the proceeds for the song are going to. If he pockets it, and does nothing else for the community, then I would be a little mad as well.

I can make a song for something I really don't care about and sound like I do just for a profit. I think that's what some people are thinking.  

Spungie

Unforgiving Bachelor

OllieOllyOxenFree

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:15 am
I found this a very interesting read and it gives you an inside into the kind of people who are against the song.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/lgbt-rapper-le1f-wrote-an-angry-letter-about-macklemores-vma
I personally think Le1f just wants attention and is using this as an opportunity to gain publicity
Just my opinion though  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff