Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Christian Advice
Is it ok to study on the Sabbath?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Diatwist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:43 am
i don't mean homework. I mean studying out of genuine curiosity.
I really want to study world history right now, incorporating biblical stories and seeing how those fit together. Is it ok to research on the Sabbath?  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:36 pm
If it's a spiritually-edifying task I don't see why not, especially since it involves scripture. Paul spent his sabbaths preaching and arguing in the synagogues (meaning someone was listening and getting educated—Acts 13:42, Acts 17:2), Jesus went around healing and preaching on the sabbath (thus educating his listeners aside from physically healing a person—Luke 6:1-9). If this spiritually edifies you in the faith, and your conscience is not grieved as you do it, that's a good indicator that it's not wrong.

What the command says to rest from is:

• (1) laboring for monetary profit / buying or selling.

• (2) making anyone else work for you.

• (3) toiling for food on that day.

• (4) speaking idle words (thus words that bring no edification to the listener).

If you feel like you're exhausting yourself by doing so, instead of finding it a rejuvenating experience, maybe rethink it. But studying how God moved/has acted through his creation, in and of itself, is not violating any of that.

Verses describing what pleases YHWH on the Sabbath: Exodus 20:8-11; Nehemiah 10:31, 13:15-22; Isaiah 58:13; Jeremiah 17:21-22; Matthew 12:11-12; Luke 13:10-16

The Sabbath day is for rest, healing, rejuvenation, and saving—alot of which may come, not just by physical rest and physical healings, but from hearing certain information and truths, making sense of God's commands and prophecies. If this studying will help you to do this, then go ahead.  

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

starry night-163

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:03 pm
Yes you can, we are no longer under the law of the sabbath, we can keep it but we are not obligated to as far as I understand.

http://www.gty.org/resources/sermons/90-225/the-lords-daydoes-it-matter

http://www.gty.org/resources/sermons/90-380/why-sunday-is-the-lords-day  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:51 pm
I had explained this. Remember the Sabbath day ( 5th commandment).

It isn't for you to stop your laboring. Many people from the days of Moses thought it was for them to stop working and that in those days, it was for you to be enforced to be restful during this day. But, that wasn't what God meant as this. It means to remember every good things that done in Jesus name. Basically, it's also like a Job as well. Remembering something is time consuming and it usually has you doing a task. And a task is also a Job. Jesus himself healed people during the sabbath and had said " do you not remember the good deeds that has been done here? You are seeing the true sabbath!"

Basically, you can study. And always remember the good things of God!

This is the true sabbath day for all Christians.  

_Leon Camero_

Friendly Informer

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:24 pm
starry night-163
Yes you can, we are no longer under the law of the sabbath, we can keep it but we are not obligated to as far as I understand.

Their stance contradicts the prophets:

Isaiah 56:6-8 (NIV)

6 And foreigners who bind themselves to the Lord
           to minister to him,
           to love the name of the Lord,
           and to be his servants,
           all who keep the Sabbath without desecrating it
           and who hold fast to my covenant—

7 these I will bring to my holy mountain
           and give them joy in my house of prayer.
           Their burnt offerings and sacrifices
           will be accepted on my altar;
           for my house will be called
           a house of prayer for all nations.”

8 The Sovereign Lord declares—
           he who gathers the exiles of Israel:
           “I will gather still others to them
           besides those already gathered.”

Isaiah 66:17 (NIV)

17 “Those who consecrate and purify themselves to go into the gardens,
        following one who is among those who eat the flesh of pigs, rats and other
        unclean things
        —they will meet their end together with the one they follow,”
        declares the Lord.

Isaiah 66:22-24
        New International Version (NIV)

22 “As the new heavens and the new earth that I make will endure before me,”
        declares the Lord, “so will your name and descendants endure. 23 From one
        New Moon to another and from one Sabbath to another, all mankind will come
        and bow down before me,” says the Lord. 24 “And they will go out and look on
        the dead bodies of those who rebelled against me; the worms that eat them
        will not die, the fire that burns them will not be quenched, and they will be
        loathsome to all mankind.”

Unlike what the website claims ("He took us out from under the bondage of the law"), God's law is not what had us under bondage. The sin in our flesh had us in bondage (Romans 7:20-25). Concerning the law itself, Paul said it was good (1 Timothy 1:8; Romans 7:12), not a bondage we should be liberated from, but something that he was now a slave to in his mind despite the flesh wanting to sin (Romans 7:25). Jesus taught us to keep the law of Moses (Matthew 23:1-3). What was burdensome were the Rabbinic traditions (which he addresses in verse 4 of Matthew 23). That should be no surprise upon reading the verses which speak of the New Covenant and what He promises to do with the laws of the former covenant (Jeremiah 31:31-33; Hebrews 8:10), something the Holy Spirit helps us to do (Ezekiel 36:25-27).

I would recommend opening up the prophecies I quoted above (Isaiah 56, 66, Zechariah 14) and reading them in full. Not just Zechariah 14 but 13 as well. Zechariah 13 has been fulfilled (correction: 11 and 12 have been), but the chapter which follows has not yet been fulfilled and in fact reads like a chapter from the Book of Revelation, which is a vision Jesus gave to John about the future. The references to Jesus will be very clear in Zechariah 13-14. Notice that in Zechariah 14, it says the feast of tabernacles is being observed when he's reigning on the earth, and whoever doesn't gets sent plague.

So the following statements, which that website made, are wrong:

Quote:
But as far as Sabbath law that was attached the Mosaic economy, that's all passed away. That all ended. A death blow was struck on the Sabbath ceremony at the Cross of Jesus Christ. The seventh day has no place in New Covenant teaching. It has no place in New Testament teaching.

Quote:
There is no more Sabbath. There is no more binding Sabbath law. We're not under Mosaic economy. There are no more dietary laws and there are no more Sabbath laws. It is no longer necessary to observe the feasts and festivals new moons [...]

As I showed from Isaiah, observances of the Sabbath and new moons will be observed and pork eaters get punished. And, as seen in Zechariah 14, Jesus will send plague to whoever doesn't make the pilgrimage to keep his yearly Feast of Tabernacles (an old testament feast). Right now there is no temple, or Levitical Priesthood, so even if you wanted to, you can't keep certain feasts, but Ezekiel 44 mentions the priesthood getting re-established. That's why we shouldn't let anyone judge us on that matter today. In the future, it will not be like this. But things like the Sabbath we can do today. And going off of Isaiah, foreigners (us) who keep the Sabbath and don't desecrate it are invited into his house of prayer (and yes, that's the verse Jesus quoted from in Matthew 21:13, Mark 11:17, and Luke 19:46).

Aside from Jesus rising on Sunday, I would add as well that they couldn't collect money on the Sabbath, that's why they did it on the first day of the week (1 Corinthians 16:2). No one is claiming people shouldn't meet up on Sundays / first day of the week (or at least, no one in this thread). People can call the first day of the week the Lord's Day; however, it's unstable to bring the Sabbath into that discussion, juxtaposing it as if to say, "that was an Old Covenant observance that has absolutely nothing to do with the goings-on of the New Covenant". Such a statement is false seeing as Old Covenant Feasts are being observed during the millenium*—which hasn't come yet.

edited*  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:11 pm
real eyes realize
starry night-163

Their stance contradicts the prophets:

Isaiah 56:6-8 (NIV)

6 And foreigners who bind themselves to the Lord
        to minister to him,
        to love the name of the Lord,
        and to be his servants,
        all who keep the Sabbath without desecrating it
        and who hold fast to my covenant—

7 these I will bring to my holy mountain
        and give them joy in my house of prayer.
        Their burnt offerings and sacrifices
        will be accepted on my altar;
        for my house will be called
        a house of prayer for all nations.”

8 The Sovereign Lord declares—
        he who gathers the exiles of Israel:
        “I will gather still others to them
        besides those already gathered.”

Isaiah 66:17 (NIV)

17 “Those who consecrate and purify themselves to go into the gardens,
        following one who is among those who eat the flesh of pigs, rats and other
        unclean things
        —they will meet their end together with the one they follow,”
        declares the Lord.

Isaiah 66:22-24
        New International Version (NIV)

22 “As the new heavens and the new earth that I make will endure before me,”
        declares the Lord, “so will your name and descendants endure. 23 From one
        New Moon to another and from one Sabbath to another, all mankind will come
        and bow down before me,” says the Lord. 24 “And they will go out and look on
        the dead bodies of those who rebelled against me; the worms that eat them
        will not die, the fire that burns them will not be quenched, and they will be
        loathsome to all mankind.”

Unlike what the website claims ("He took us out from under the bondage of the law"), God's law is not what had us under bondage. The sin in our flesh had us in bondage (Romans 7:20-25). Concerning the law itself, Paul said it was good (1 Timothy 1:8; Romans 7:12), not a bondage we should be liberated from, but something that he was now a slave to in his mind despite the flesh wanting to sin (Romans 7:25). Jesus taught us to keep the law of Moses (Matthew 23:1-3). What was burdensome were the Rabbinic traditions (which he addresses in verse 4 of Matthew 23). That should be no surprise upon reading the verses which speak of the New Covenant and what He promises to do with the laws of the former covenant (Jeremiah 31:31-33; Hebrews 8:10), something the Holy Spirit helps us to do (Ezekiel 36:25-27).

I would recommend opening up the prophecies I quoted above (Isaiah 56, 66, Zechariah 14) and reading them in full. Not just Zechariah 14 but 13 as well. Zechariah 13 has been fulfilled (correction: 11 and 12 have been), but the chapter which follows has not yet been fulfilled and in fact reads like a chapter from the Book of Revelation, which is a vision Jesus gave to John about the future. The references to Jesus will be very clear in Zechariah 13-14. Notice that in Zechariah 14, it says the feast of tabernacles is being observed when he's reigning on the earth, and whoever doesn't gets sent plague.

So the following statements, which that website made, are wrong:

Quote:
But as far as Sabbath law that was attached the Mosaic economy, that's all passed away. That all ended. A death blow was struck on the Sabbath ceremony at the Cross of Jesus Christ. The seventh day has no place in New Covenant teaching. It has no place in New Testament teaching.

Quote:
There is no more Sabbath. There is no more binding Sabbath law. We're not under Mosaic economy. There are no more dietary laws and there are no more Sabbath laws. It is no longer necessary to observe the feasts and festivals new moons [...]

As I showed from Isaiah, observances of the Sabbath and new moons will be observed and pork eaters get punished. And, as seen in Zechariah 14, Jesus will send plague to whoever doesn't make the pilgrimage to keep his yearly Feast of Tabernacles (an old testament feast). Right now there is no temple, or Levitical Priesthood, so even if you wanted to, you can't keep certain feasts, but Ezekiel 44 mentions the priesthood getting re-established. That's why we shouldn't let anyone judge us on that matter today. In the future, it will not be like this. But things like the Sabbath we can do today. And going off of Isaiah, foreigners (us) who keep the Sabbath and don't desecrate it are invited into his house of prayer (and yes, that's the verse Jesus quoted from in Matthew 21:13, Mark 11:17, and Luke 19:46).

Aside from Jesus rising on Sunday, I would add as well that they couldn't collect money on the Sabbath, that's why they did it on the first day of the week (1 Corinthians 16:2). No one is claiming people shouldn't meet up on Sundays / first day of the week (or at least, no one in this thread). People can call the first day of the week the Lord's Day; however, it's unstable to bring the Sabbath into that discussion, juxtaposing it as if to say, "that was an Old Covenant observance that has absolutely nothing to do with the goings-on of the New Covenant". Such a statement is false seeing as Old Covenant Feasts are being observed during the millenium*—which hasn't come yet.

edited*

well my point was that Jesus fullfilled that and many other things but looking into again, I confused myself, I'll have to take another look at it again.  

starry night-163

Christian Advice

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff