Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Help Guild

Back to Guilds

Guild for Anime,Manga, Live-Action Asian Drama, Asian Music K-pop Recommendations & Discussions, ChatSpace,TV Series/WesternCartoons + More. 

Tags: Anime, Manga, Live Action Asian Drama, Discussion, Recommendation 

Reply ✩ ANIME
You ever watch a subbed anime

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Wolfishly Sheepish

Friendly Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:52 pm
and forget you can't speak Japanese?
So you walk away to do something and you're like "wait this isn't english, i have no understanding of this whatsoever."

At first I thought this neat phenomenon was a lot like the McGurk effect (which you can read about here ), but instead of visual information from the mouth paired with auditory information it would be visual information from text paired with auditory information to create a third sound (spoken English). (I typically don't pay attention to characters' mouths when watching things.)
But then I realized it most likely stems from a drowning out of unnecessary background noise (which your brain does to persistant external stimuli that it dubs isn't of importance. For example: when you sit in a chair and you can feel it at first but then after a while you stop thinking about it or noticing the feeling.) and a strong internal monologue (inner voice) along with a powerful right hemisphere of the brain (both hemispheres always work in tandem though of course) that supplements the sound for you and makes you forget you're not actually hearing it, almost like a welcomed auditory hallucination.
Proly helps that I'm baked out my mind everytime I watch anime.
tl;dr Just wondering if I'm alone on this or if any of you have experienced this as well.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:30 pm
I'm not sure if this would count, but I've been studying Japanese for ten years and I also spent a year living in Japan so once I get back into a Japanese show/book/etc, and then decide to do something else I notice I'm more in Japanese-mode and it's a lot harder for me to remember the English names for things.

For example, I was talking to my sister one day about a politician who came to the door trying to get more votes and for the life of me I could not remember the English word for 政治家 (politician), and then once I remembered I spelt it wrong anyway(;´▽`A`` Another time I was trying to remember the English for 我慢する, which I don't think we have a one-word translation for this in English? It's 'to put up with [something]'.

So, sometimes I tend to forget I know English after speaking in Japanese/having Japanese audio around for a while. I guess this isn't exactly what you were after though, sorry.  

pay me in tea

Shy Dabbler

missgothiclolita

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:09 pm
Yea I tend to do that a lot just letting the video play while I walk away for a bit, then realizing i have no idea what they were saying so i have to rewind it.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:23 pm
Jade-Maree
I'm not sure if this would count, but I've been studying Japanese for ten years and I also spent a year living in Japan so once I get back into a Japanese show/book/etc, and then decide to do something else I notice I'm more in Japanese-mode and it's a lot harder for me to remember the English names for things.

For example, I was talking to my sister one day about a politician who came to the door trying to get more votes and for the life of me I could not remember the English word for 政治家 (politician), and then once I remembered I spelt it wrong anyway(;´▽`A`` Another time I was trying to remember the English for 我慢する, which I don't think we have a one-word translation for this in English? It's 'to put up with [something]'.

So, sometimes I tend to forget I know English after speaking in Japanese/having Japanese audio around for a while. I guess this isn't exactly what you were after though, sorry.
No apologies needed.
I can see how switching back and forth could be confusing.
I already have trouble communicating with one language,
I don't think I could handle two sweatdrop  

Wolfishly Sheepish

Friendly Elder

Hrorik

Ursine Mystic

10,225 Points
  • Loiterer 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:18 am
I actually do that with everything that is in a foreign language. A lot of times, I will go to another tab to look something up or check something(I generally watch anime on my computer) and I go "Wait, what did they just say?" Too be honest, I have a problem where, my mind actually makes the voices that I am hearing in an anime actually speak English, such as, I watched Shingeki no Kyojin, and about two weeks later, I was asked about it, and truthfully thought that the show had an English dub because of the way my mind perceived it all.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:27 pm
Jade-Maree

Bah!!! I've lived in Japan all my life and I can only speak a little bit of Japanese... crying The School I went to was international and yet instead of Japanese class which would help out considering (you know... Japan) WE GOT SPANISH!!!!! scream  

Mahzuki

Enduring Cyclops

15,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Mahzuki

Enduring Cyclops

15,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:33 pm
Wolfishly Sheepish
and forget you can't speak Japanese?
So you walk away to do something and you're like "wait this isn't english, i have no understanding of this whatsoever."

At first I thought this neat phenomenon was a lot like the McGurk effect (which you can read about here ), but instead of visual information from the mouth paired with auditory information it would be visual information from text paired with auditory information to create a third sound (spoken English). (I typically don't pay attention to characters' mouths when watching things.)
But then I realized it most likely stems from a drowning out of unnecessary background noise (which your brain does to persistant external stimuli that it dubs isn't of importance. For example: when you sit in a chair and you can feel it at first but then after a while you stop thinking about it or noticing the feeling.) and a strong internal monologue (inner voice) along with a powerful right hemisphere of the brain (both hemispheres always work in tandem though of course) that supplements the sound for you and makes you forget you're not actually hearing it, almost like a welcomed auditory hallucination.
Proly helps that I'm baked out my mind everytime I watch anime.
tl;dr Just wondering if I'm alone on this or if any of you have experienced this as well.

I have experienced this.
Then again me and my brain don't really get along as of late...
My brain starts thinking in Japanese just to mess with me
It's a whole self hate/ disgust thing( Is that the same thing?)  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:51 pm
Mahzuki
Bah!!! I've lived in Japan all my life and I can only speak a little bit of Japanese... crying The School I went to was international and yet instead of Japanese class which would help out considering (you know... Japan) WE GOT SPANISH!!!!! scream
That's so weird. Wow, you really think they'd have Japanese classes as well D: Why Spanish in particular though?  

pay me in tea

Shy Dabbler

Mahzuki

Enduring Cyclops

15,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:39 pm
Jade-Maree
Mahzuki
That's so weird. Wow, you really think they'd have Japanese classes as well D: Why Spanish in particular though?

Not a clue burning_eyes emo scream I failed it the first time around because I couldn't stand the teacher passed my second becuase it was on dvds and when I reached spanish 2 I barely passed... It's hard to learn a language by one's self  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:16 pm
Mahzuki
Not a clue burning_eyes emo scream I failed it the first time around because I couldn't stand the teacher passed my second becuase it was on dvds and when I reached spanish 2 I barely passed... It's hard to learn a language by one's self
Yeah, I find when studying alone I have less motivation (or I slack off and watch Japanese dramas instead and call it studying because 'there's no subs so I have to think!'). I should be studying grammar and vocab for the JLPT, but that kind of study is nowhere near as fun as dramas/manga/anime lol  

pay me in tea

Shy Dabbler

Mahzuki

Enduring Cyclops

15,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:24 pm
Jade-Maree
Mahzuki
Yeah, I find when studying alone I have less motivation (or I slack off and watch Japanese dramas instead and call it studying because 'there's no subs so I have to think!'). I should be studying grammar and vocab for the JLPT, but that kind of study is nowhere near as fun as dramas/manga/anime lol

I think it should be easier to learn from anime... recently read a Japanese to english dictionary I actually found that I already knew some of the words because of anime... Not alot though... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:30 pm
Mahzuki
I think it should be easier to learn from anime... recently read a Japanese to english dictionary I actually found that I already knew some of the words because of anime... Not alot though... sweatdrop
The thing about anime is you're going to get a lot of stuff that wouldn't be said irl. Like, if you talk like an anime character all the time you're gonna get weird looks no matter where you live lol It's the same with dramas and stuff too, I guess, you're gonna get a lot of overdramatic stuff which no one would say irl, but hey vocab is vocab♥

It would also depend on what kind of learner you are too. If you're an auditory learner then it's going to be easier for you to pick up and remember what you hear from anime. If you're the type that needs to write and rewrite what you need to study then you're going to remember more from writing compositions; etc.  

pay me in tea

Shy Dabbler

Vanirra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:43 pm
Most of the time I can pick up bits and pieces of what's being said and figure it out. Although I don't look away often or for very long so there isn't a whole lot that goes on where I'm left bewildered. It's usually like one or two sentences that go by and usually it will contain words I've heard before and can associate a meaning to.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:49 pm
In the beginning of the school year this year I took Japanese 1 for a semester on Rosetta Stone. It was really easy at first because I already knew most of everything in the first lesson from watching anime and J-drama all the time. But as I got further I found it a little bit harder to understand what was going on in the lessons. The hardest part I would say is trying to learn the grammar for Japanese. I just never understood what to say for the grammar.  

neko cat warrior

Invisible Member

6,050 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Forum Regular 100

Pandelion

Winter Star

33,025 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Married 100
  • Tundra Brawler 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:48 pm
Eh, I love watching anime subbed, and since I have hearing problems, if I get up to do anything I usually pause so I haven't ran into the problem with forgetting that I only speak english. My husband however likes to watch things dubbed, so I usually only get to watching subbed things if I'm alone.  
✩ ANIME

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games