Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
I hate it when I tell people I'm asexual and...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Daily Zuppa

IRL Guest

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:22 pm
they ask me if I've had sex before and I say no and then they say "oh, well I won't believe you until you've had sex." This happened to me to and I'm just like...but that's not what asexuality is emotion_8c  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:30 pm
Then you reply back with "then obviously you were not straight/gay/whatever until you had sex, because direct experience is the only way to understand your own identity, right? a*****e" seriously, that's silly but I feel ya - it's like every time I get "you're bi... but you're married to a man.... so you're straight?" ".... no."  

Keakealani

Intellectual Elocutionist

12,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200

Daily Zuppa

IRL Guest

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:56 pm
Keakealani
Then you reply back with "then obviously you were not straight/gay/whatever until you had sex, because direct experience is the only way to understand your own identity, right? a*****e" seriously, that's silly but I feel ya - it's like every time I get "you're bi... but you're married to a man.... so you're straight?" ".... no."

I should seriously start saying that now. That will shut them up very quickly. The funny thing is that the guy who said that to me is part of the LBGT club on campus lol And woah, talk about ignorance. Just because you're married to a man doesn't automatically make you straight. Urgh, some people these days emotion_facepalm  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:01 am
Daily Zuppa
Keakealani

I should seriously start saying that now. That will shut them up very quickly. The funny thing is that the guy who said that to me is part of the LBGT club on campus lol And woah, talk about ignorance. Just because you're married to a man doesn't automatically make you straight. Urgh, some people these days emotion_facepalm
Haha, yeah, fortunately it doesn't happen very often, but some people really are ignorant and it can get a bit frustrating after a while. It's definitely doubly annoying when it is someone else who is part of the LGBT community, but sometimes people kind of only understand "their kind of queer", you know? Like if they are gay they can understand the idea of being attracted to the same gender, but they can't understand the idea of not being (sexually) attracted to any gender or being attracted to all of them. XD But I guess that's where you go out and try to educate people, although it can certainly be less fun to have your identity invalidated like that.  

Keakealani

Intellectual Elocutionist

12,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:46 am
One of my friends is asexual. When people learn this, apparently they sometimes ask why, and assume it's the result of some negative or traumatic sexual experience. xp Or, the response is, "Well, you just haven't met the right person yet."

All in all, it just seems like it must be frustrating when almost everyone you meet second-guesses something as personal as your own identity.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:02 pm
Some people are unbelieveable. Anyway, even though I just said that, I don't really understand what asexuality is other than the bacteria definition, and Godzilla. Even so, I know it's a real thing for people, too.  

blue carnal love

Daring Galaxy

10,625 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Daring Investigator 50

CatsintheHat

Wheezing Prophet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:14 am
I bet the "average" person needs to stab someone to know it's wrong, or that they don't like it, right? That's some backwards logic that person has. The only person who can judge you is yourself, their opinion means poopery. They're not asexual, they can't speak for you.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:04 pm
It's like how when my mom found out I'm Queer, she's just like, "Oh it's just a phase -- all girls go through not liking boys at some point." and I'm like "Sure, mom" (internally rolling eyes)  

LoricWarrior

Agile Shapeshifter

13,940 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • The Wolf Within 100

Cassy3v3lyn

Lonely Lover

18,625 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Budding Witch 250
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:01 pm
Poor dearie.
Find something good to say to shut them up, and just stand up for yourself.
Then once you've sufficiently done that, go back to being comfortable with the labels you chose for yourself, hun.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:11 am
I remember when one of my friends told me he was asexual. I was pretty confused because I had never heard of it before and I had a crush on him. For me it was hard to understand how one cannot desire sex because I see it as a very primal drive. After learning more and getting use to the idea I can understand it better.

I had a really good relationship with that friend and I am thankful that it could be on the level it was when the idea of sex is taken out of the equation.

SylverStar

High-functioning Counselor

17,450 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Tycoon 200
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items