Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Bible Study
Infants Are Not Lost

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nenanah

Fashionable Guildswoman

25,825 Points
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Brilliant Light 450
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:31 pm
Infants Are Not Lost
Lino to Study

We now turn our attention to another perversion of God’s word and that is infants are born sinners and must be baptized in order to be saved. This contradicts God’s word. God says in Ezekiel 18:20, "The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not bear the guilt of the father, nor shall the father bear the guilt of the son." Here God is telling us that children do not inherit sin from their parents, grandparents, or any of their forefathers, all the way back to Adam. God says "The son shall not bear the guilt of the father." Each person is responsible for his own sins. According to this verse, it is "The soul who sins shall die." Does it say the soul that inherits sin, it shall die? No. It says the soul who sins.

What is sin? 1 John 3:4, "Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness: and sin is lawlessness." We do not inherit sin; we commit sin; and we commit sin when we commit lawlessness. An infant has not broken any law of God and thus has not committed any sin.

How is sin committed? In James 1:14-15, "Every man is tempted when he is drawn away of his OWN lust and enticed, then when lust has conceived, it brings forth sin and sin when it is finished brings forth death." Before one can commit sin he must be drawn away of his OWN lust and enticed. A baby cannot be drawn away and enticed into lustful sin. This is absurd. This is total ignorance of God's word. James 4:17, "Therefore to him who knows to do good, and does not do it, to him it is sin." This is the sin of omission. An infant does not know to do good and thus cannot sin. There are only two ways that man sins: by committing sin or we sin by omission. An infant cannot sin in either way and has no sin.

A little child is innocent and pure, as our Lord says in Matthew 18:3, "Unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven." And we also read in Matthew 19:14, "But Jesus said, 'Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven'". Little children are of the kingdom of heaven. Little children are not lost, but are safe until they become accountable.

One error leads to another. Men say since infants have inherited the sin of Adam, they must be baptized or they will be lost. This is also false. Infants are not suitable candidates for baptism, since they cannot believe. Our Lord says in Mark 16:16, "He who believes and is baptized will be saved." Here one of the prerequisites of being saved when one is baptized is to believe, which is impossible for an infant to do.

Also in Acts 8:36-37 the question was asked, "See here is water; what hinders me from being baptized?" And the answer is given in the next verse: "And Philip said, if you believe with all your heart you may." Here we see the condition that must be met before a person can be baptized is he must believe with all his heart. Can an infant do this? No.

Also one of the prerequisites of being baptized is one must repent. In Acts 2:38 (KJV) the apostle Peter told a group of people, who had asked what they should do, to "Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins." What is the requirement found here that we must do before we can be baptized? Repent. Can an infant repent? It would be absurd to think that an infant could believe or repent, but it is just as absurd to think that an innocent infant, who is without sin, must be baptized for the forgiveness of sins, which he does not have.

Parents who have their infants "christened" are being deceived by the false doctrines of men. Satan has many ways in fooling people into being lost. The lie Satan tells here to people who have become accountable is since you were baptized as an infant, you do not need to be baptized for the remission of your sins now that you have become accountable and responsible. Satan knows infant baptism accomplishes nothing. Satan also knows, when people who were baptized as an infant become accountable, at that time they are lost and will be with him through out eternity in the burning fires of Hell if he can keep them from obeying the Lord. So who do you want to follow: God, or men who are being led by Satan? Every person will follow one or the other. Again we have to make the choice as to who we follow. If you were baptized as an infant, then your baptism did you no good. You are still lost. Now that you are able to believe you must "Repent and be baptized everyone of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins" Acts 2:38, so you can be saved and go to Heaven. If a person misses Heaven by believing the lies of Satan, he will only have himself to blame.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:32 pm
Found this not too long ago, thought I would share it. I found it interesting, I highlighted the scripture just so it's easier to see with the italicized font.  

Nenanah

Fashionable Guildswoman

25,825 Points
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Brilliant Light 450

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:58 am
Their main argument was correct: that infants can't repent and the baptism ritual itself isn't what saves you. But they interpreted the following dishonestly:

Epileptic Urethra

A little child is innocent and pure, as our Lord says in Matthew 18:3, "Unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven." And we also read in Matthew 19:14, "But Jesus said, 'Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven'".

The verse from Matthew 18 which they quoted is Jesus' reply in response to his disciples (asking who would have the highest rank in heaven):

Matthew 18:1-4 (NIV)

1 At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who, then, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”

2 He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. 3 And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

...ergo Jesus is telling them to stop being prideful over their rank, humble themselves to the level of little children, who don't have any prestige, aren't really seeking it, and are at the lowest rank of society (thus interacting with everyone the same, as if you aren't above their level). Secondly, if we're going to extrapolate something else from this, it would be the child-parent relation with God; you're suppose to trust in God, like a child depends on their parents to care for them. It's not addressing innocence at all, but a humble attitude towards God and other people.

Epileptic Urethra
One error leads to another. Men say since infants have inherited the sin of Adam, they must be baptized or they will be lost. This is also false.

One error definitely leads to another. I would agree that it is error to claim that infants can go through baptism/repentance. However, it is true that we inherit a sinful nature from Adam (and even though we don't receive direct punishment for his sins, we do suffer the natural consequences of his decision: born in exile, not in the garden, with a nature that craves to do wrong before we even know what wrong is). Scripture says we inherit that sinful nature. Whoever wrote this is disregarding verses such as:

Genesis 8:21 (NIV)

The Lord smelled the pleasing aroma and said in his heart: “Never again will I curse the ground because of humans, even though[a] every inclination of the human heart is evil from childhood. And never again will I destroy all living creatures, as I have done.

Footnotes:

a. Genesis 8:21 Or humans, for

Psalm 58:3 (NIV)

Even from birth the wicked go astray; from the womb they are wayward, spreading lies.

To speak for myself, I distinctly remember feelings of pride as early as 2-3 years old. However, when I would get blamed for misconduct, I'd be indifferent towards such things as "wrong", "right", "justice"; it didn't really register. If I were spanked by family, I would cry because it hurt, I was shocked, and I sensed hatred coming from people I trusted (thus scared), not because I was cognizant of any wrongdoing, nor felt remorseful for something (in fact, I never connected "bad behavior" with "getting hit" at that age [side note, I never received that kind of discipline later on anyway after I moved back in with my mother around 5]); in pre-school and kindergarten (4-5 years old), I would even take the blame for things I didn't do; at that point I would cry about it because I didn't know why the teacher was treating me meanly [aka punishing me], seeing as I really did not do anything (it probably didn't help that I didn't speak the language, but even back in the Dominican Republic, the adults were speaking the same language I did, and I still took the blame for things I didn't do, lol. I would just raise my hand whenever they asked a question even if it was "who did this?" *raises hand* haha). Though it should've been obvious that I wasn't really the culprit if I raised my hand for everything.

Comparing that to how I was around 5-6 years of age, I do remember that I enjoyed taking advantage of my younger cousins' "naivety". I did covet things that didn't belong to me and I stole to get it (not all lusts are sexual). I knew my behavior was wrong, as evidenced by the fact that I snuck around when I did it, I never wanted to get caught. I was undeniably guilty and aware of my guilt. Whether God would consider me blameless at that point? I highly doubt it. I wasn't raised Christian, but I knew my behavior was wrong (or else, I wouldn't try to hide/sneak/lie about my behavior) and yet I still continued the behavior. And boy was I ever a liar around that age (from that point on, continuing all throughout high school; I only refined my ability to do so, becoming more subtle at it; getting reprimanded never stopped it).

Anecdotal evidence aside, if the interpretation calls for the bible to contradict itself in another area, it's the wrong interpretation. So, using verses to disprove other verses doesn't hold up. We have to figure out the interpretation that accounts for both verses being equally true. Infants might be blameless of committing sin, but children knowingly commit things they shouldn't, then they lie about it or try to sneak around so they don't get caught; children are definitely guilty and we do have a sin nature since childhood. Jesus wasn't instructing his disciples to take on the "innocence" of children (which isn't even true) nor become ignorant of what sin is, but to take on their prestige-less position in society, even if you do have a high rank. We're all born with a sinful nature that craves to do wrong even before we commit sin or learn to distinguish right from wrong.

That said, it does seem like infants go to the comforting side of She'ol/Hades upon death, judging by what Job says (that he would rather have been a still-born than have to live through the suffering/injustice he currently was enduring):

Job 3:11-19 (NIV)

11 “Why did I not perish at birth,
             and die as I came from the womb?
        12 Why were there knees to receive me
             and breasts that I might be nursed?
        13 For now I would be lying down in peace;
             I would be asleep and at rest
        14 with kings and rulers of the earth,
             who built for themselves places now lying in ruins,
        15 with princes who had gold,
             who filled their houses with silver.
        16 Or why was I not hidden away in the ground like a stillborn child,
             like an infant who never saw the light of day?
        17 There the wicked cease from turmoil,
             and there the weary are at rest.
        18 Captives also enjoy their ease;
             they no longer hear the slave driver’s shout.
        19 The small and the great are there,
            and the slaves are freed from their owners.

Job 10:18-19 (NIV)

18 “Why then did you bring me out of the womb?
             I wish I had died before any eye saw me.
        19 If only I had never come into being,
             or had been carried straight from the womb to the grave!

...though he's just talking about his physical body's rest/no longer having to endure physical torment, and not necessarily describing the rest in She'ol, if he's at rest in the afterlife (compared to his earthly trouble) it's because he was righteous in life (and Job clearly was). Logically, despite having a nature that wants to sin, if you didn't end up transgressing the law yourself, I don't think there's any torment to endure while in She'ol—unlike the rich man who, as he waited for the resurrection, was receiving the same treatment he showed Lazarus in life (Luke 16:19-31), thus in torment. Lazarus endured injustice in life, so he's comforted in the afterlife; the rich man dealt out injustice, so he received torment/wasn't comforted in the afterlife. An infant doesn't deal out injustice, so it can only be comforted/at rest.  
Bible Study

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games