Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Bible Study
The Discernments on Music

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Biblical_Counselor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:55 am
Hello and greeting in Jesus' Name. I have been away as of late, working part time, going to school full time, and working part time in my ministries. It takes a lot out of me, quite a bit. But one thing that I want start to do is making a series of just using Godly discernment.

Here is just a little background of why I am doing it and some of how I do it. In 2001, I was born again at the age of 15. I was convicted from then about some things that people allow in their lives and watching a destructing pattern that will either lead them from the Lord or just mess their lives even more. I even watch a good solid Christian family gradually being more like the world because of the things they brought into the home.

Isaiah 59:19 says "When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the Lord shall lift up a standard against him." I believe the enemy came like a flood and is coming like a flood now. The enemy uses all kind of things to try to draw us away from the Lord, rather through Television, the Internet, the Radio, or through Music. It says that the Spirit of the Lord shall lift up a standard against him. So please bear with me. I might step on some toes here, but my heart is that the Lord will be glorified and that we would be more alert to the attacks of the enemy. I probably will not get into about music this post, but rather the importance of discernment and about what we should allow into our lives and what we shouldn't allow. User Image

1 Thessalonians 5:21 says "Prove all things; hold fast that which is good." It doesn't mean prove some things or just to prove the things that we don't like; but prove every single thing and hold fast to which are good. I believe the phrase "Hold fast that which are good" means to keep the ones that follow the Philippians 4:8 method. "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." We should prove all things to the light of the scriptures. Why? Because we would not be caught unawares by the attack of the enemy.

One of the earliest of the things that I looked at and discerned was the celebration of Halloween. I split it up into several parts, such as: Costumes, Trick or Treating, History and Background, the Treats, and so forth. I was devastated on why a lot of Christians are calling this a "good" holiday or even see nothing wrong with it. But by breaking it down into many parts and going through it with a fine tooth comb, which is the Word of God and Light expose the darkness therein, we could get a clear glimpse of the reality behind whatever that may be. I am afraid a lot of Christians are not doing what 1 Thessalonians 5:21 says and many lives are being either destroyed or deceived. Many people cannot understand of why their walk with God is so slow that it is at a crawl. But if they would repent of the things that they are in, just like that, their Christian life would take off again.

Lord willingly, I will get into about some of the music maybe either tomorrow or the day after. I want to start about the history of music and go what the Bible says about what it says concerning about music and pull out some principles and just to see God's heart on this subject.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:54 pm
Living_for_the_Lord

Sounds great! biggrin
Can't wait to read up on this, God willing, indeed.
Thanks for introducing us to this subject!  

Spirit Reborn

Friendly Citizen

Biblical_Counselor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:25 am
The History and the Purposes of Music

Music was not recently invented. It was created thousands of years ago, probably right after the creation. We have many Biblical accounts of music all through the Bible. One of the earliest account was Moses' song when he led the children of Israel out of Egypt in Exodus 15. Moses sang a song of victory, saying "I will sing unto the Lord, for he hath triumphed gloriously: the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea. The Lord is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father's God, and I will exalt him."

We have Biblical accounts of David singing unto the Lord. He recorded many of his songs in the book of Psalms. He exalts the Lord, or sometimes mourning over his sin; but nevertheless, there is music in the Bible.

So music was created about a few thousands years ago, at least. But what is the purpose of music? What is it designed to do? I want to take a look at the Influence of music and the purpose of it. If we want Biblical discernment, we need to see what the Bible says of what we need to do, concerning music, what is it intended to do, and just like what 1 Thess. 5:21 says, "Prove it and hold fast to which are good."

Like I said, music is used all over in the Bible. But what are the commands of listening to music? None. I cannot find it anywhere in the Bible about any commands of listening to music. Am I saying to listen to music is wrong? Of course not. But we should prove it and of course, obey what the Bible says about music.

In Psalms 92:1, it says "It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord, and to sing praises unto thy name, O most High." So we have a blessing about this verse. It is a good thing, or a beautiful thing, a wondrous this, a loving thing. It is a good thing to give thanks to the Lord. What should we be thankful for? He created us. He loves us. He died for us. He saved us. He cared for us. We have everlasting rewards with Him. The list goes on and on and on. So by thinking of what God did for us, wouldn't be a good thing to burst into song. It says to sing praises unto the Lord.

So the first thing about singing is that it is meant for a song of worship. We worship the Lord with our voices. There are a few commands in the Bible that says to make melody by using a string instruments before the Lord. I am not against this, either. But I fear that we had taken the melody of thanks by replacing it with heavy instruments, such as Christian Rock, or even I heard of Christian Death Metal. I believe there are no such things, as I will explain in the next post, Lord willing by this week, about the influence of music. But we should give thanks unto the Lord and sing praises unto the Lord.

In Ephesians 5:19, it says "Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord." What about the verse before it? It talks about being filled with the Spirit. After we are filled with the Spirit, we should be singing psalms, hymns, and Spiritual songs.

Psalms are the book of Psalms. Psalms are written by mostly David with a few others in there. Hymns are songs that mostly are not in the Bible, but they are packed full of doctrine. Hymns, like Amazing Grace or a Mighty Fortress is our God. Hymns like those that have many and many Spiritual truths in those songs. Spiritual songs means of songs speaking to us in our Spirit. They are full of doctrine, full of the Spirit of Christ.

In Colossians 3:16 says "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord." We need to teach and admonishing one another in music.

So the purposes of music are:

1) Worshiping God.
2) Giving thanks unto God.
3) Being filled with the Spirit.
4) Teaching and admonishing one another.

And so much more. I am actually compressed on time to look farther, but I want to leave that with everyone for today. I might make part 2 of this about what music is for in more details. But to give you a few references of some of the information, you can listen to these sermons in the meantime:

1) The Practical Applications to Music by Denny Kenaston

2) The Musical Influence Crossroad by Rick Leibee  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:29 am
Living_for_the_Lord

Wonderfully said! Praise God emotion_bigheart
I love the song 10,000 reasons by Matt Redman! Beautiful song..
We truly bless and glorify God when we sing and feel the joy and thankfulness towards Him in our hearts and for His Son being an advocate, on our behalf, to the Father.  

Spirit Reborn

Friendly Citizen

Meili Kyumee Youichi

Blessed Friend

7,700 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:11 pm
Spirit Reborn

Wonderfully said! Praise God emotion_bigheart
I love the song 10,000 reasons by Matt Redman! Beautiful song..
We truly bless and glorify God when we sing and feel the joy and thankfulness towards Him in our hearts and for His Son being an advocate, on our behalf, to the Father.

I LOVE THAT SONG TOO!! heart  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:42 pm
Meili Kyumee Youichi

I LOVE THAT SONG TOO!! heart

YEAHH! *Hi-5's you* ^- ^
Do you have any songs you've been listening to recently that you really like?
Also~ How's everything been? :0  

Spirit Reborn

Friendly Citizen

Meili Kyumee Youichi

Blessed Friend

7,700 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:26 am
Spirit Reborn

YEAHH! *Hi-5's you* ^- ^

*hi-5*
I have a playlist of songs that I love. Hmmm, let me choose one for now~ 4laugh
"Whom Shall I Fear"-Chris Tomlin

I've been good, need to focus on upcoming final exams, and currently have a bit of clash with my best friend crying .

How about you? How's life? emotion_bigheart  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:42 am
Meili Kyumee Youichi
Spirit Reborn

YEAHH! *Hi-5's you* ^- ^

*hi-5*

I've been good, need to focus on upcoming final exams, and currently have a bit of clash with my best friend crying .

That playlist looks awesome already. I've heard a few songs in there and would love to expand and ultimately in future..to revamp my entire playlist. It used to be full of ungodly music so thank you for the link! : )
Awe, I love that song as well~! Always gives me peace in times when I'm feeling creeped out at night. :3

Glad to know you've been good emotion_hug May God bless you in your studies and exams, Meili and I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I think being there for her and just showing the love that Christ showed us would help soften her heart eventually. If she sees the love, joy, peace, etc of Christ in you, she may rethink her perspective on God and His Son. I'm, too, struggling with how to bring people in to believe and accept Christ as we were called to "make disciples of all nations". I'm more concerned with offending them. Then I think of how Jesus preached..and His passion to save souls and bring people to God was bigger than any fear of offending others. I personally think people are going to be offended anyway, especially if they don't believe but only for a short time. I have faith that God will speak to her heart in the future. Just takes some patience and time.  

Spirit Reborn

Friendly Citizen

Meili Kyumee Youichi

Blessed Friend

7,700 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:36 pm
Spirit Reborn
Meili Kyumee Youichi
Spirit Reborn

YEAHH! *Hi-5's you* ^- ^

*hi-5*

That playlist looks awesome already. I've heard a few songs in there and would love to expand and ultimately in future..to revamp my entire playlist. It used to be full of ungodly music so thank you for the link! : )
Awe, I love that song as well~! Always gives me peace in times when I'm feeling creeped out at night. :3

Glad to know you've been good emotion_hug May God bless you in your studies and exams, Meili and I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I think being there for her and just showing the love that Christ showed us would help soften her heart eventually. If she sees the love, joy, peace, etc of Christ in you, she may rethink her perspective on God and His Son. I'm, too, struggling with how to bring people in to believe and accept Christ as we were called to "make disciples of all nations". I'm more concerned with offending them. Then I think of how Jesus preached..and His passion to save souls and bring people to God was bigger than any fear of offending others. I personally think people are going to be offended anyway, especially if they don't believe but only for a short time. I have faith that God will speak to her heart in the future. Just takes some patience and time.

I love Christian songs, its filed with wisdom,calming, give hopes, and many other purposes blaugh Wow, I would love to hear your playlist too 4laugh

You don't know how much your comments relate to me! heart
I think people will see me as Jesus-freak gonk , even pursuing to discuss about God in depth, even though she doesn't like it. But the message is too important for me not to share. neutral
Quote:
I have faith that God will speak to her heart in the future. Just takes some patience and time

Amen! I have faith on that too. God will never abandon her. 3nodding
Thank you so much Crissy, I'm really really blessed to have a wonderful sister in Christ like you emotion_bigheart  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:25 am
Meili Kyumee Youichi

I love Christian songs, its filed with wisdom,calming, give hopes, and many other purposes blaugh Wow, I would love to hear your playlist too 4laugh

You don't know how much your comments relate to me! heart
I think people will see me as Jesus-freak gonk , even pursuing to discuss about God in depth, even though she doesn't like it. But the message is too important for me not to share. neutral
Quote:
I have faith that God will speak to her heart in the future. Just takes some patience and time

Amen! I have faith on that too. God will never abandon her. 3nodding
Thank you so much Crissy, I'm really really blessed to have a wonderful sister in Christ like you emotion_bigheart

no thanks needed, Meili. : ) and I'm really really blessed, in turn, to have a wonderful sister in Christ like you emotion_hug

I think so too! Christian music definitely does all of those things you've mentioned. Very uplifting to the soul and does help us to press forward in perseverance. You know..I've been thinking lately.. about the artists out there that use their talents and sing for and about Jesus. I wonder if I may draw for God. I'm not talented but I'm sorta kinda decent in drawing I suppose sweatdrop
And maybe it doesn't have to be drawing- it could be something that we're not necessarily good at but interested in. Like take for instance.. baking. I'm not really experienced in baking but I *am* interested in it. Perhaps I could bake for God and just hold a bake 'sale' but have it free instead of profiting.
Something like that. And maybe attach a note or simple small card that talks about the reason of the bake 'sale' and how it was inspired by Jesus. I feel like we live in a generation where..people have forgotten about God, being distracted by media, all these new devices and worldly music/television shows, and even distracted by our own desires and thoughts that society in general has forgotten about God- the wonderful news of His Son, and their eternal salvation through Him if only they would come to Christ. Like..what could I do *now* to bring them just a little bit closer to them?
Anyway- sorry about that. xD; This became more of a self-reflection type of thing, heheh.

I personally don't have a formal playlist on Youtube but I'm actually interested in making one so I'll get to that right now!
Okay so here's a playlist of some of the songs I've favorited on YouTube. It's a mix of songs, personal testimonies of other people, and other good stuff : )

I'll also add in my iTunes playlist:
• Walk on the water by Britt Nicole
• Voice of Truth by Casting Crowns
• Getting into You by Relient-K
• The Proof of Your Love by for King & Country
• Live like that by Sidewalk Prophets
• I will follow by Chris Tomlin
• Forever Reign by Hillsong Live
• All this time by Britt Nicole
• You can have me by Sidewalk Prophets
• Boasting by Lecrae
• Tell the World by Lecrae Feat. Mali Music
• Don't waste your life by Lecrae

Dude- being seen as a Jesus 'freak' is a compliment wink seriously.
And I couldn't agree more. God will never abandon her. She just needs to open up to His love. I've read some testimonies on former atheists who came to believe Jesus-some on Youtube and some typed out online. You'll notice some of them on my playlist : )  

Spirit Reborn

Friendly Citizen

Meili Kyumee Youichi

Blessed Friend

7,700 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:14 am
Spirit Reborn

I completely support you with your ideas. mrgreen God gives us the talent so that we can use it to glorify Him further. All of your ideas are great!
Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might"
My youth church club have done several "simple" actions (we call it C2S = Called to Serve) like visiting and singing Christian songs in nursing home, giving away some fruits,water with notes on it. It is simple but we use whatever talent we have to outreach more people. All glory goes to God! 3nodding

Thanks for the list ( I subscribed already xp ) - Will continue to listen further whee
I know some of those songs! I love it too~ Thanks blaugh

Thanks for the compliment biggrin
I'm actually thinking in how to make it doesn't look like too freak, so the message of Jesus can get across easier.

1 Corinthians 9:19-23
New International Version (NIV)
Paul’s Use of His Freedom

19 Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

Bible Study

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games