Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
When asked about my preference

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

A Punk So Daft

Witty Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:25 am

Hello all~

I recently got back from a four-month stay at MCRD San Diego...
In other words, I was at bootcamp trying to become a United States Marine.
I injured myself while I was in training, just two days before finishing the first phase of training, it was a stress fracture to my right patella(knee) and it prevented me from staying with my training platoon.
So...
Off I went to Medical Rehabilitation Platoon/MRP. Now, being gay, I was actually quite nervous about letting people know about it... especially since I was stuck there with them. So at first, I never told anyone; although someone had guessed and told another recruit, and then he blabbed to everyone else within the same day. Also... that was only day two for me in MRP, and I was there for about three and a half months. It was honestly not as bad as I had been originally been told to believe.

However...
They liked to ask questions, a lot of questions. Questions that I've never either been asked, or even thought to answer myself. But the ones I really didn't like were the basic ones just about every recruit asked me.
"How long have you known?" "What makes men attractive to you?" and just other sorts of stupid s**t. All in all, I answered a lot of questions, maybe not the way they would've preferred, but I did it while questioning their mental stability. Eventually the questions stopped coming, and they let that little topic die down... a little. But then, this was very close to the point in time where I would be told I was going home, but the drill instructors for MRP
closed the door to the duty hut one day, when I was in there supposed to be making a call home. They told me that they were told by other recruits, which made me both upset and extremely uncomfortable, that I was gay. Now they were asking me questions about myself while I was trying to leave a ******** voice mail for my mom. It pissed me off greatly because, as Drill Instructors, and even more as Marines, I actually expected a bit of professionalism and maybe even a little... respect, to the situation and the topic? Well, none was to be had there. I honestly wish I had talked about it to the CO, but at that point I was ready to just go home.

TL;DR
I hate being asked stupid questions about my sexuality when it's no one's ******** business.
mad

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:28 pm
Rainebow Monkee

This is not okay. I mean I can understand the curiosity and questions, as long as they are posed in a polite and non condescending manner. Humans are naturally curious, we can't help it. But blabbing about it and spreading the word is not okay. When I was in basic for the Navy, spreading gossip was a good way to get yelled at. But, then again DADT was still in effect.

I have been in the Navy for 5 years in a couple months, and people know I am gay, they asked me all the questions and what not, but at least they are supportive and professional. Some of my coworkers have actually gone to a gclub with me to see what it was like, lol.

Sorry to hear about this, it isn't right. But best of luck to you. Next time tell people to mind their own business.  

DragonSlayer Arcos

Vicious Bunny

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:01 am
The questions themselves (at least, the ones you mentioned) don't seem stupid, but that's beside the point. Being repeatedly questioned about your sexuality when you're uncomfortable talking about it is really not okay, and it's pretty unprofessional for them to gossip about you like that to your instructor.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:55 pm
people should just grow up and stop with the gossip  

23sportychick

SylverStar

High-functioning Counselor

17,450 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:26 am
I was being recruited by the marines when I was 18. The biggest issue I had was as part of bootcamp they taught you how to put on makeup and you were required to wear makeup/skirt for formal attire...I'm not sure how much as changed since than but that has always left an impression on me about the marines. They always seemed to be a little less open to differences with gender and sexuality to me.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games