Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Photo Section
Cosplay Photography 101

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:02 pm
Greetings Everyone,

I have been a Cosplay Photographer since 2009 and have been to 11 Anime / Cosplay cons so far. I have been a photographer in general since I was a kid. I didn't take a lot of photos of people until I started going to conventions.

General tips:
1. Most cons have rules about photography and cosplay. At Youmacon in Downtown Detroit one of the rules is: If you are wearing a Cosplay outfit expect your photo to be taken. Not all cons are like this so keep that in mind.
2. Don't be shy and be Courteous. If the Cosplayer is busy with something important watch to see if they are available later on. Also, always ask a cosplayer if you can take a photo of them. Many are turned off by someone taking photos of them without permission. Try not to take up a lot of the Cosplayers time. They may have set plans just like you do. If they appear open to it feel free to talk to them and ask questions about their outfit, etc.
3. Plan ahead of what type of Cosplay characters you want photos of. Like look around for Cosplayers from a certain series or video game. Most conventions have official photoshoots. Check out the con's guide for locations. I always look for Sailor Moon series and Final Fantasy cosplayers.
4. Do your best not to take photos of a cosplayer in a heavy traffic area and beware of the lighting in the area. If you need to ask the cosplayer to step aside out of the traffic flow for a photo. Con staff frown on photographers blocking traffic.
5. Be patient. If you rush a photo their is a good chance that it won't turn out the way you like. Also I usually take 2 photos each time. That way you have a better chance to get a good photo.
6. If you are able to wear a cosplay outfit yourself. I have found out that it's easier to approach a cosplayer to take a photo of if you are also wearing an outfit.

Specific Tips:
1. Cell phones no matter how well they might seem to take good shots, often they don't. I recommend buying or using a regular digital camera that uses photo cards. I have a 4G card for my digital camera. That way I can take plenty of photos and not worry about using up all of the memory. Also photo cards are easy to download the photos in them to computers and photo kiosks in stores.
2. Most important. Make sure you have a second set of batteries for a digital camera. Camera's like to eat batteries. This is another reason to not use cell phones for photos. If you use up all of your battery power in a cell phone you won't be able to do anything else with it until you get it recharged.
3. Photo Editing. Get familiar with and use photo editing computer programs. Store kiosks often come with photo editing programs as well.

Posing:
1. Many Cosplayers have a pose or two that they have all set to go. If you want a specific pose appropriate for the character just ask. Sometimes you need to give a good description of what you want.
2. Some Cosplayers have never posed or are shy. This is why asking a Cosplayer if you can take a photo of them is important. What helps is being friendly and or casual. Once again you may have to help out with a pose that you would like the Cosplayer to do. One thing that makes this easier is to take photos of characters that you are familiar with. That way you can come up with a character pose easier.
3. Spontaneous posing. This can be fun. Just ask the random Cosplayer to do a pose. Then smile and ask for another pose. Sometimes the results can be interesting.
4. Mini photoshoots - If the Cosplayer has some time you can experiment or try doing 4 to 6 different poses. Some of the poses can be funny, glamorous, casual like sitting on a bench or leaning on a railing, and certainly trying out a few character poses.
5. Regular photoshoots - Similar to a mini photoshoot. A regular one is usually prearranged. Also either the photographer and or the Cosplayer is very familiar with the character that's being Cosplayed. Pick out a special area away from the crowds where you are not going to be interrupted. If that's not possible pick an area that off to the side, near to but not in the flow of traffic. Pick places appropriate to the Cosplayers character. I did a photoshoot of a Fairy Cosplayer earlier this year and picked a forest to do some of the shots. Usually a regular photoshoot lasts between 30 minutes to an hour and anywhere from 40 to 60 shots is usually taken. Every now and then show some of the photos to the Cosplayer for approval. Change the setting, background and or poses as necessary.

Overall have fun!! If you have any questions feel free to ask me and I will do my best to help you out.

Note: Feel free to comment and add tips to this thread as some of our members have already done.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:25 pm
I attended a talk recently on this topic. Most of the information was basic and I already knew (which you have also covered). However, one tip I found useful is for the photographer to not be afraid to to take some different angles, such as getting on your knees and pointing upwards. I tried it out and got a really lovely image that also impressed the cosplayer.

Something I personally found is that if you offer to send the cosplayer a copy of the picture or a website where you will be posting it, many times they greatly appreciate it and sometimes they inform you about future cosplays they are doing if they like yip our pictures. If you manage to build up a good reputation then people will start asking you to take their picture.

A good place to find cosplayers can sometimes be outside the building the con is taking place in. Just remember to use your common sense and manners and not to disturb them if they are busy. A common pet peeve of many cosplayers is for someone to ask to take their picture (or just start snapping away) when they are trying to eat and rest.

I don't take pictures from just one anime or manga etc, but I try to take ones that catch my eye be it by the character, the craftsmanship or the personality. I sometimes take short video clips just because of how brilliantly the cosplayers portrays the character. I once saw a Captian Jack Sparrow (who I swear could have been the real thing) eating a necklace made out of human fingers. About a hour later, I saw him hold the lease of this zombie cosplayer and walking them. Both of them didn't know each others, but portrayed their character just so well that they could improvise and still have fans being able to imagine the real character doing and/or saying just that. That is the image or clip that I try to capture. To me, it's all about memories and sharing my fascination and admiration.  

Prays For Sanity

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:47 am
Prays For Sanity
I attended a talk recently on this topic. Most of the information was basic and I already knew (which you have also covered). However, one tip I found useful is for the photographer to not be afraid to to take some different angles, such as getting on your knees and pointing upwards. I tried it out and got a really lovely image that also impressed the cosplayer.

Something I personally found is that if you offer to send the cosplayer a copy of the picture or a website where you will be posting it, many times they greatly appreciate it and sometimes they inform you about future cosplays they are doing if they like yip our pictures. If you manage to build up a good reputation then people will start asking you to take their picture.

A good place to find cosplayers can sometimes be outside the building the con is taking place in. Just remember to use your common sense and manners and not to disturb them if they are busy. A common pet peeve of many cosplayers is for someone to ask to take their picture (or just start snapping away) when they are trying to eat and rest.

I don't take pictures from just one anime or manga etc, but I try to take ones that catch my eye be it by the character, the craftsmanship or the personality. I sometimes take short video clips just because of how brilliantly the cosplayers portrays the character. I once saw a Captian Jack Sparrow (who I swear could have been the real thing) eating a necklace made out of human fingers. About a hour later, I saw him hold the lease of this zombie cosplayer and walking them. Both of them didn't know each others, but portrayed their character just so well that they could improvise and still have fans being able to imagine the real character doing and/or saying just that. That is the image or clip that I try to capture. To me, it's all about memories and sharing my fascination and admiration.

That had to have been an interesting talk. I know the basics for Cosplay Photography but I do have a ways to go. I have been considering and thinking about how to do different angles for photos. Also I have made a card to hand out to Cosplayers which I started to use at my last convention. It brought me a few smiles. One of the things that I want to do is more photoshoots. At cons I usually take quick shots or a few more if the Cosplayer has time. I try to do my best to be respectful of their time. I always show the cosplayer the photo that I took of them afterwards on my camera. Many have not seen what they look like and appreciate the gesture. Thanks for the tips and if you have more feel free to post them on this thread. If you haven't done so yet check out my Deviant Art Cosplay Photography page. Their is a link in my Gaia signature.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:44 pm
On the cosplayer side of photoshoots, practice posing with your cosplay! It's important to know how your creation moves and photographs. It's also a good idea to review good poses that makes your character come to life. It's always good to show up to a convention with a couple of good poses up your sleeve.

On that note, I also like doing my own, low-key photoshoots with friends when I debut a cosplay. This will give me an idea of the durability of the cosplay, how a pose actually looks on film, and what angles best show off the cosplay.

It may sound silly, but I also like to practice facial expressions in the mirror. Every character has their own body language, and that more than anything will sell your cosplay when you're in person.

Above all, ENJOY your cosplay! Don't be afraid to be goofy or silly. We're all cosplaying (in general) as fictional characters... you can't take yourself too seriously in green-and-yellow spandex.  

xinitia

Crew

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:06 pm
xinitia
On the cosplayer side of photoshoots, practice posing with your cosplay! It's important to know how your creation moves and photographs. It's also a good idea to review good poses that makes your character come to life. It's always good to show up to a convention with a couple of good poses up your sleeve.

On that note, I also like doing my own, low-key photoshoots with friends when I debut a cosplay. This will give me an idea of the durability of the cosplay, how a pose actually looks on film, and what angles best show off the cosplay.

It may sound silly, but I also like to practice facial expressions in the mirror. Every character has their own body language, and that more than anything will sell your cosplay when you're in person.

Above all, ENJOY your cosplay! Don't be afraid to be goofy or silly. We're all cosplaying (in general) as fictional characters... you can't take yourself too seriously in green-and-yellow spandex.

In my opinion facial expression is very important to me as a photographer. A lot of the personality of a character is shown through their facial expression. I tend to focus on the persons eyes, smile (If it's appropriate for the character), and the emotion that the facial expression is showing. Some of the better photos that I have taken of Cosplayers is based on this. It's also in my opinion one of the hardest things to do so as you have said practice on both how your outfit moves and facial expression to help produce a better photo.  
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:17 pm
Do many of you compose self-portraits with your cosplays? I have a hard time working out shoot times with photographers because of a weird work schedule, so most of my pictures I take myself with the help of my tripod. All of the pictures in my Hiking Cosplay folder on my Facebook were taken with a timed camera and a small, Joby tripod.

Does anyone else utilize a tripod? Any tips or tricks you have figured out (outside of a lot of patience and a good sense of humor)?  

xinitia

Crew

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:04 pm
xinitia
Do many of you compose self-portraits with your cosplays? I have a hard time working out shoot times with photographers because of a weird work schedule, so most of my pictures I take myself with the help of my tripod. All of the pictures in my Hiking Cosplay folder on my Facebook were taken with a timed camera and a small, Joby tripod.

Does anyone else utilize a tripod? Any tips or tricks you have figured out (outside of a lot of patience and a good sense of humor)?

Hi Xac,

I don't use a tripod or do self portraits of any kind. I suggest that you look for professional photographers on Deviant Art. I'm sure that their are many that can help you.

Ron  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:02 am
I recently came across "Gaming Goddess Cosplay's" page on Facebook. She posted some tips on doing Photoshoots. Her top 5 tips are below. You can visit her page at https://www.facebook.com/gaminggoddess/

1. Bring a mirror - while the photographer will often tell you of slip ups with your cosplay or make up don't rely on it. No one knows your cosplay as well as you so bring a mirror so you can check for an slippages with wigs or check your contacts are still in between photos.

2. Bring a friend - to upgrade from the mirror you can bring a friend to watch out for wardrobe malfunctions. They can also help with holding lights or throwing capes. If you haven't worked with a photographer before it can be good to have a friend to help you relax.

3. Bring reference images/mood board - I like to make photo boards on Pinterest of character poses, examples of other cosplayers or modeling poses I want to try. It helps everyone get on the same page and know what the goal is.

4. Know the photographers work - check out the photographers style and check it is what you like. Everyone has a different way of doing things and if you don't like the person's work before you work with them it is likely that you will be disappointed with the result. Also use their style to help pick which outfit might wear.

5. Have fun - at the end of the day if you are relaxed you will have better photos. I have photos that I don't like to share because I wasn't relaxed enough and I can read it in my face. Consider putting music on to help the situation feel a bit more casual and have fun. Bounce ideas off each other and find something your both comfortable with.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
Photo Section

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers