Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Photo Section
Critique my cosplays?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:57 pm
So Smithers suggested I share my cosplay photos here to get some critiques, as most of my friends in the circuit don't even critique me at all on where to improve/strengths/feedback/where I stand on a scale of 0-10.

Here's my DeviantArt:

Sifen's DA
*There's more cosplays to date in my portfolio, but I've only recently done digital photos in the past 3 years*

I have done Enzan Iijuin from "Rockman.EXE", England/Arthur Kirkland from "Axis Powers Hetalia" and a few others.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:31 pm
Sifen Yamishi
So Smithers suggested I share my cosplay photos here to get some critiques, as most of my friends in the circuit don't even critique me at all on where to improve/strengths/feedback/where I stand on a scale of 0-10.

Here's my DeviantArt:

Sifen's DA
*There's more cosplays to date in my portfolio, but I've only recently done digital photos in the past 3 years*

I have done Enzan Iijuin from "Rockman.EXE", England/Arthur Kirkland from "Axis Powers Hetalia" and a few others.

Hi, I'm glad that you posted a link to your Deviant Art page. I'm sure that others will check out what you have done so far. I personally will go to your DA page and check it out. My ID is the same on Deviant Art.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:14 pm
Hi Sifen Yamishi (Trisan),

I just gave your Deviant Art page and gallery a quick look. I put a comment on your latest journal entry. Check it out and I hope that the advice that I gave you will help you out. You seem to be doing just fine with your cosplay outfits. Keep in mind that your best cosplay outfits will most likely be of characters that you like a lot. My current Avatar on Gaia happens to be Syaoran from Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles.. I like the show a lot and have a Syaoran cosplay outfit in real life. I like the idea that you want to do a cosplay of Clow Reed from Tsubasa. I look forward to seeing how that will turn out.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:23 pm
smithers456

I just gave your Deviant Art page and gallery a quick look. I put a comment on your latest journal entry. Check it out and I hope that the advice that I gave you will help you out. You seem to be doing just fine with your cosplay outfits. Keep in mind that your best cosplay outfits will most likely be of characters that you like a lot. My current Avatar on Gaia happens to be Syaoran from Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles.. I like the show a lot and have a Syaoran cosplay outfit in real life. I like the idea that you want to do a cosplay of Clow Reed from Tsubasa. I look forward to seeing how that will turn out.

Thanks for the tip on the photo lighting. I'm using a cell phone to take the pictures, so it's a 50/50 shot on getting the right lighting.

As far as Clow goes, my friend Diana is looking into purchasing this one for me, since we're both busy and don't have time to make our own cosplays.  

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:39 pm
Sifen Yamishi
smithers456

Thanks for the tip on the photo lighting. I'm using a cell phone to take the pictures, so it's a 50/50 shot on getting the right lighting.

As far as Clow goes, my friend Diana is looking into purchasing this one for me, since we're both busy and don't have time to make our own cosplays.

No offense but one of the worst things that you can do is use your cell phone to take photos of cosplayers. The photos are questionable and darker like I noticed. Also photo taking tends to eat up a lot of battery power. It wouldn't be good if you used up all of the battery life on photos and had nothing left to make cell phone calls, etc. My best advice is to get a digital camera. Cannon and Nikon are two of the best brands. Digital cameras have settings and sensors that can help out in poor lighting. Also a camera with a card can be helpful too. Most photo kiosks have photo editing programs on them and you can get photo editing programs off of the internet. At a photo kiosk in a department or drug store all you have to do is plug in the card and follow the instructions. Usually people working in the store can help you. Please check out the sticky thread that I started on the photo page that has tips for Cosplay photographers. You can get even more tips about cosplay photography their. On that thread I freely shared what I learned over the years that has helped me to get better and better photos. Good luck in your Cosplay Photography.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:42 pm
smithers456

No offense but one of the worst things that you can do is use your cell phone to take photos of cosplayers. The photos are questionable and darker like I noticed. Also photo taking tends to eat up a lot of battery power. It wouldn't be good if you used up all of the battery life on photos and had nothing left to make cell phone calls, etc. My best advice is to get a digital camera. Cannon and Nikon are two of the best brands. Digital cameras have settings and sensors that can help out in poor lighting. Also a camera with a card can be helpful too. Most photo kiosks have photo editing programs on them and you can get photo editing programs off of the internet. At a photo kiosk in a department or drug store all you have to do is plug in the card and follow the instructions. Usually people working in the store can help you. Please check out the sticky thread that I started on the photo page that has tips for Cosplay photographers. You can get even more tips about cosplay photography their. On that thread I freely shared what I learned over the years that has helped me to get better and better photos. Good luck in your Cosplay Photography.

Actually, my computer has a feature in which I can alter the lighting, once it gets a picture in the system, I can make the picture a bit brighter. Did that for the first of my photos, but after slacking off a bit, some people say the pictures are still good, so I kinda let go.

Maybe it's time to use said feature again.  

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:39 pm
nice looking cosplays  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:41 am
Extreme Cuddler
nice looking cosplays

I would like to know what to improve on though. :/  

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:00 pm
Sifen Yamishi
Extreme Cuddler
nice looking cosplays

I would like to know what to improve on though. :/

Please don't be discouraged I know that you have waited a long time for meaningful feedback. You have so many photos on your Deviant Art page that it will take some time to give you a more detailed answer on what to improve. I plan on doing some specific critiques on some of your outfits soon. Of the ones that I pick I will have to do some quick research on them to be thorough. In the meantime I suggest that you post some of your Cosplay photos on this thread. That way the members of this guild will have something to look at. If you need help posting photos please let me know. I happen to use photobucket to post photos on other sites including this one. If you don't have a photobucket.com account I highly recommend starting one.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:01 pm
smithers456

Please don't be discouraged I know that you have waited a long time for meaningful feedback. You have so many photos on your Deviant Art page that it will take some time to give you a more detailed answer on what to improve. I plan on doing some specific critiques on some of your outfits soon. Of the ones that I pick I will have to do some quick research on them to be thorough. In the meantime I suggest that you post some of your Cosplay photos on this thread. That way the members of this guild will have something to look at. If you need help posting photos please let me know. I happen to use photobucket to post photos on other sites including this one. If you don't have a photobucket.com account I highly recommend starting one.

I can pull the images into the guild sometime tomorrow. On the recovering end of pharyngitis this weekend, so it kinda has me sluggish.  

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:00 pm
I started scanning through some of your DA, but it's hard to distinguish which are your cosplays, and which are photographs of other cosplayers. I posted some comments on your latest journal, so I hope that it helps. Could you link some images of particular cosplays you'd like critiqued?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:52 am
xinitia
I started scanning through some of your DA, but it's hard to distinguish which are your cosplays, and which are photographs of other cosplayers. I posted some comments on your latest journal, so I hope that it helps. Could you link some images of particular cosplays you'd like critiqued?

I don't pop into DA often as much now, but I'll try to get some links your way in a few weeks.  

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:22 pm
It doesn't have to be DA, either. If you'd like, you could link me a photobucket picture even through Gaia. Whatever works for you.  
Photo Section

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games