Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Bible Study
Hermeneutics: Giving Alms

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Biblical_Counselor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:38 pm
Hello and greetings in the name of Jesus. I am doing a teaching in my Bible Studies at my house about Hermeneutics and thought it would be a good idea on doing some here. I am going through Chapter 6 of Matthew and such new things are opening up to us in the group and new truths are being revealed. So I thought it would be a good idea to start teaching and applying hermeneutics in a lot of the studies.

What is hermeneutics you may ask? I am glad you ask. It is the art and science of interpreting Scripture. To learn about hermeneutics, please go and watch Herman Who? by Todd Friel on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdj7nEZYT7k

So let's begin with Matthew 6:1 - 4.

Quote:
Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven. Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth: That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

We'll begin by doing a 5 step model:

1) Observation
2) How wide is the river?
3) What is the principle?
4) Does the New Testament change my understanding of an Old Testament text?
5) Application

As we go down through the list, I will explain a little on how to do it. The best way is to get knowledge of the book. We are in Matthew, so this is an account of what Jesus was teaching the disciples. And as we look down here in Chapter 6, there is something to note, but I won't give you the details until later in the chapter. So let's dive into this chapter.

1) Observing the text. What does it say?

"Do not be like the hypocrites. The hypocrites are like to be seen of men and they give alms, or give money to the poor because they desire public recognition. They already have their reward. But for us, Christians, we should give money in secret that our Father in Heaven shall bless us openly."

That is taking 4 verses and condense it down to only a few sentences without taking anything out of context or hurting the verses.

2) How wide is the river? How much of a difference between us and the original audience?

Not much. Jesus is teaching the disciples about how to live a Godly life. It is a teaching to all of the followers of Jesus Christ.

For the rest of the chapter, I might exclude this from the list because it is basically the same thing.

3) What is the principle?

God is telling us that He desire us to do things in secret. The ones that desires public recognition, may have their reward, but it is not everlasting. But when we give in secret, we will be blessed by the Father. He rather for us to seek Him than seek public recognition.

4) Does the New Testament change my understanding to an Old Testament text?

No. I will exclude this from Chapter 6 as well, just like the 2nd principle.

5) Application

1. Do we give to the poor?
2. Do we try and give money in secret, or do we only do it in public?
3. God sees our motives and desires.
4. Are we seeking man's approval or are we willing to wait for your Heavenly Father’s reward?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:13 pm
The Friel vid is a great inclusion, here. smile
Thanks for sharing this.

( P.S. Karl Barth would agree with you that doing theology is a science biggrin )  

SolaceSerenitySerendipity

Gracious Flatterer

6,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Flatterer 200

Biblical_Counselor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:23 pm
Thanks for sharing this.

( P.S. Karl Barth would agree with you that doing theology is a science biggrin )

No problem. I learned about Hermeneutics just last year and applied it to my Bible Studies and my daily devotions. And I got a lot more out of it than just blasting through chapters to try and accomplished my daily reading method. If we do not apply what is there, if we do not meditate on the Scriptures and the promises that God is giving us, then we are missing out all of those blessings that are there. Yes, we are saved by faith and grace alone; but when we have faith, works will follow.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:26 pm
Living_for_the_Lord
Thanks for sharing this.

No problem. I learned about Hermeneutics just last year and applied it to my Bible Studies and my daily devotions. And I got a lot more out of it than just blasting through chapters to try and accomplished my daily reading method. If we do not apply what is there, if we do not meditate on the Scriptures and the promises that God is giving us, then we are missing out all of those blessings that are there. Yes, we are saved by faith and grace alone; but when we have faith, works will follow.

Sound interpretation is always an appreciated skill!!!

and Yes, Ephesians 2.10 tells us that we were created for good works that God wants us to do:

"For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."  

Gracious Flatterer

6,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Flatterer 200

Biblical_Counselor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:33 pm
Living_for_the_Lord
Thanks for sharing this.

Sound interpretation is always an appreciated skill!!!

and Yes, Ephesians 2.10 tells us that we were created for good works that God wants us to do:

"For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."

Amen. You know, Todd Friel gave the definition of Hermeneutics as "The art and science of interrupting Scripture." I disagree. It is "The art and science of interrupting and applying Scripture." Apply only what applies to us. Someone was getting ready for a divorce and to go with her new boyfriend. She used the verse "Put on the new man" as a go to verse for her situation. She says that what it means to her. It is not about what it means to us, but how does it apply to us. We must see the Bible rightly or we will make a mess of this Book. Who care what we think? It should be much more important on what God thinks.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:39 pm
amen smile  

Gracious Flatterer

6,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Flatterer 200
Bible Study

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash