Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
A theory...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Crux_Nightmare

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:28 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
So, I have been exploring Gaia's Transgender community for a while now
and I have built up a bit of a disappointing theory.
Let me first start off by saying that,
this does not apply to everyone and it's not meant to be insulting
but with that said...

Is it just me or does it seem like a lot of the FtM trans
claim to be so, to fulfill some odd otaku fantasy?

Let me explain:
I have noticed that they
A. Are f** hags (meaning... they freak out over guy on guy)
B. Are huge Anime fans and want to imitate the males out of obsession
C. Have taken a male Roleplaying character to the next creepy step

Now, like I said
this does not apply to all
but I have seen an abundance on here
and quite frankly... it's insulting to the ones who are really suffering.

I literally lost a best friend to that bs
She basically copied me and obsessed over gay guys
then re-invented herself as one
So, she could live this twisted, freak show of a life
and that was one of the most insulting things she could have done.

Has anyone else noticed this
or is it just me? neutral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:38 pm
I don't typically notice this myself, and have not for the decade or so I've been a member of the Gaia community.

Not trying to make assumptions here but I would think that these individuals would, due to their interests, only be in certain "circles" so to speak. In that, the type of person you've just described shares a varying amount interest in something you yourself hold interest in and therefore you cross paths more frequently than someone than say myself.

I'm not exactly sure where you encounter these individuals, but I would say that your exposure to them is probably just some sort of anomaly. Looking at the number of individuals who use Gaia, these individuals who seem be part of a "fad" for lack of a better term, simply represent a fractional aspect of the FtM community.

To address your opinion that, "it's insulting to the ones who are really suffering," I must say that the very same argument has been made in the LGBT community for promiscuous bisexuals, feminine gays, masculine lesbians, etc.

It's only insulting if you choose to look at it that way, you have to realize that any and every community has members within it who do not represent the community as a whole but likewise should be accepted within that community and, ideally, outside of that community as well.

They're people, just like you or I. You can't hold their interests against them, it's a minute aspect of who they are, but it doesn't make them who they are, if that makes sense. It's like saying my love for doughnuts determines the quality of person I am, which, simply put, is a bit close-minded.

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200

Crux_Nightmare

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:31 am
Der Fluch des Pharao
I don't typically notice this myself, and have not for the decade or so I've been a member of the Gaia community.

Not trying to make assumptions here but I would think that these individuals would, due to their interests, only be in certain "circles" so to speak. In that, the type of person you've just described shares a varying amount interest in something you yourself hold interest in and therefore you cross paths more frequently than someone than say myself.

I'm not exactly sure where you encounter these individuals, but I would say that your exposure to them is probably just some sort of anomaly. Looking at the number of individuals who use Gaia, these individuals who seem be part of a "fad" for lack of a better term, simply represent a fractional aspect of the FtM community.

To address your opinion that, "it's insulting to the ones who are really suffering," I must say that the very same argument has been made in the LGBT community for promiscuous bisexuals, feminine gays, masculine lesbians, etc.

It's only insulting if you choose to look at it that way, you have to realize that any and every community has members within it who do not represent the community as a whole but likewise should be accepted within that community and, ideally, outside of that community as well.

They're people, just like you or I. You can't hold their interests against them, it's a minute aspect of who they are, but it doesn't make them who they are, if that makes sense. It's like saying my love for doughnuts determines the quality of person I am, which, simply put, is a bit close-minded.

Well, first off... thanks for replying.
Wondered if anyone read it at all
or if I just wasted my time. lol

Second of all... I get what you're saying
and I don't particularly have that big of an interest in Anime
but yes, I suppose you could argue that I just had the misfortune of meeting such people
I'm not going to sit here and bash people's interest
but I find it odd that you think someone who's pretending to be transgendered for the sake of fulfilling an Otaku obsession,
wouldn't be insulting to the people who suffer with the issue on a daily basis.

People can like whatever they want to
I could not care less
but when they turn an interest into something more serious for their own satisfaction
then parade around seeking attention to sate their sexual appetite, it bothers me.

There's a difference between liking what you like (sexually or not)
and falsely claiming to be something you're not
making those who are truly suffering look like fools.
It's like saying you have cancer, when you don't. It's just not something you do
or should do.
I genuinely wanted to meet others like me and sadly this is what I found.
I'm not saying, "I'm giving up" or that "everyone needs to do what I say or else."
I was just curious to see, if anyone else has noticed this. *shrug*

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:48 am
Crux_Nightmare

I see where you're coming from. I suppose I just didn't realize that they were "faking" being transgendered.

You've definitely come to the right place for meeting people like yourself; the GGSA is a pretty diverse community full of great members.

So don't be discouraged! c:

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200

Crux_Nightmare

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:20 pm
Der Fluch des Pharao

I see where you're coming from. I suppose I just didn't realize that they were "faking" being transgendered.

You've definitely come to the right place for meeting people like yourself; the GGSA is a pretty diverse community full of great members.

So don't be discouraged! c:

It's fine,
I guess it did bother me a bit more than I should have let it
but it was rather disappointing.

I do hope I meet others
and find a sense of community.
So, thanks. smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:29 pm
Crux_Nightmare

Not unnoticed, but it's possible that others just can't relate, and don't really have any feedback. ^^; That was the case for me, anyway, since I have no experience in this area.  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Crux_Nightmare

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:01 pm
Taeryyn
Crux_Nightmare

Not unnoticed, but it's possible that others just can't relate, and don't really have any feedback. ^^; That was the case for me, anyway, since I have no experience in this area.

Lol
Well, I assumed that.
I meant people who would have something to contribute
but didn't feel like reading it or whatever. lol

No worries razz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:08 am
As a FtM trans... none of those apply to me... at all lol
And I barely notice a trans community on Gaia but then again, I'm not actively looking either  

FauxZombie

debinoresu

Winner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:29 pm
well in my opinion you shouldn't really label transfolk as "fake" ones unless they admit it themselves? or maybe they did all admit it to you? I'm actively searching for transfolk on gaia but I haven't really found any outside an lgbtetc guild, so idk where you're finding all these openly fake trans people.

but if the only real situation where you legitimately knew someone actually wasn't trans was with your ex-bff, I would like to say I'm personally very against doubting and questioning someone's identity no matter how they act or look. I know it's hard to control your emotions when it comes to doubting an identity, but you still shouldn't accept someone's claimed identity as being false just because of your doubts. the only thing that you can use to verify your doubts are their own words.

however, if all of these people DID admit to you that they actually weren't transmen, then your complaint is fine, and apparently there are a lot of girls on gaia who pretend to be transmen. I agree that pretending to be a transman to fill a guy on guy fantasy is incredibly offensive to legitimate transmen and just a gross thing to do overall, and that nobody should do it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:21 pm
I haven't noticed anything like what happened to your friend, but Gaia does attract a lot of anime and RP lovers. Where there is anime and RP, well...I mean, those hobbies in themselves can make up a pretty big part of people's lifestyles.

Meh, different strokes for different folks.  

Gummy burrs

Ghostly Regular

14,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Unbreakable Bond 150

Prince Leviathan

Versatile Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:18 am
I have a friend who recently came out to me as a MtF, and it turned out that, after talking with his therapist, his core gender is male, but only his sexual desires are female. He is a form of transgender, but it's a lot more difficult than always identifying one way or another, and after talking to him, I found that I'm lucky to be a FtM just, y'know. Overall.

So I do think that it's possible there are people posing to be FtMs (I have yet to meet them, though), but unless they explicitly say that they are not FtMs, I wouldn't doubt them because of my experience with my friend. He identifies as a man and is trying to suppress that side of himself because, after he and his therapist researched it, people on that side of the transgender... side? tend to develop split identities to fulfill both needs--normal, everyday life and sexual desires.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:32 pm
My Best Friend has done something to the same extent, except she didn't remake herself. She just made a fake dude that she uses as some sort of alternate persona. But I mean it's fine to an extent, she just takes it too far. She of course has to wrap every single person she meets as "him" into her little web of lies, then brings those problems and her faker persona into real life and talks to me about it. One thing I can't STAND is how she said Yesterday "I like telling people I'm gay just to see their reactions." Like it's just some game to her or something. She satiates herself on the attention she gets for being "gay" even though I, her actually gay friend, would much rather just sit back and have people NOT fuss over me. It's insulting, and she wont stop talking about him and his "boyfriend" who is also just a fake guy she made up, and her dramas with her friends. It hurts me a lot and I have brought it up numerous times but she just, wont, stop. I don't want our friendship to end or anything it's just becoming too much for me to handle.  

Nymphis

Anxious Fatcat

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces