Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Links
Christian Apologetics: Who Needs It?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:45 am
Christian Apologetics: Who Needs It?

[Working link April 8th 2016. Please notify us of broken links and inaccurate content.]  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:26 am
Do Not Judge. ''You don't know what storm

I must admit before watching the complete video that I don't think I understood fully what a Christian Apologetic was. I think I have a better understanding now after listening to this entire segment, but I'm still having a difficult time wrapping my head around it.

I'd found a link while looking it up that said ''Defending the Christian faith with apologetics should never involve being rude, angry, or disrespectful. While practicing Christian apologetics, we should strive to be strong in our defense and at the same time Christ-like in our presentation. If we win a debate but turn a person even further away from Christ by our attitude, we have lost the true purpose of Christian apologetic.'' What is Christian Apologetics?

I agree with this. I suppose with some things I'm just rather laid back about. It's not that I don't care about spreading the word, but I feel that the Lord puts me in a situation to spread my own stories and share with others in a subtle but loving way to express why I believe. It's our attitudes that makes the difference. A friend of ours tells us because of this, she went from Atheist to Agnostic.

But it's something different slightly of what I learned in the church growing up. I was raised with this impression to go out and spread the word in people's faces all happy-go-lucky but I feel that the opportunity comes when people need it the most. And not ever Christian is going to click with every single person that needs to hear something, but rather at the right place and time what is needed to be heard and taken to heart will be. Just like what William was saying.

....I wasn't expecting to have quite this much to say on it. Maybe I understand better than I thought. I am more of an artistic, intuitive person so psychology debates and high-sciency terms I don't always get at first without a break down. But some of what he was saying makes me want to learn a bit more about other beliefs to better understand them.

I've asked her to go through.'' ~God

Crinis

Beloved Conversationalist

10,900 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Conventioneer 300

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:46 am
Crinis

I must admit before watching the complete video that I don't think I understood fully what a Christian Apologetic was. I think I have a better understanding now after listening to this entire segment, but I'm still having a difficult time wrapping my head around it.

I'd found a link while looking it up that said ''Defending the Christian faith with apologetics should never involve being rude, angry, or disrespectful. While practicing Christian apologetics, we should strive to be strong in our defense and at the same time Christ-like in our presentation. If we win a debate but turn a person even further away from Christ by our attitude, we have lost the true purpose of Christian apologetic.'' What is Christian Apologetics?

I agree with this. I suppose with some things I'm just rather laid back about. It's not that I don't care about spreading the word, but I feel that the Lord puts me in a situation to spread my own stories and share with others in a subtle but loving way to express why I believe. It's our attitudes that makes the difference. A friend of ours tells us because of this, she went from Atheist to Agnostic.

But it's something different slightly of what I learned in the church growing up. I was raised with this impression to go out and spread the word in people's faces all happy-go-lucky but I feel that the opportunity comes when people need it the most. And not ever Christian is going to click with every single person that needs to hear something, but rather at the right place and time what is needed to be heard and taken to heart will be. Just like what William was saying.

....I wasn't expecting to have quite this much to say on it. Maybe I understand better than I thought. I am more of an artistic, intuitive person so psychology debates and high-sciency terms I don't always get at first without a break down. But some of what he was saying makes me want to learn a bit more about other beliefs to better understand them.

I agree with that definition of apologetic. It is not about winning an argument, but presenting people to Jesus. If we go into it wanting to win, then we have already lost. Apologetics is though at its core tearing down arguments that are constructed on false premises, which obstruct people from coming to a saving faith.
We can't always see an immediate result, but we should not let that keep us from witnessing. We should keep in mind that it is not how effective our debate skills are that save people, and then give up, but rely on the Holy Spirit to work through us, and remember what God says in the Bible:

Isaiah 55:11
so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

However bad our arguments are, if it is God's desire that this person should be saved, he or she will be saved.

Though we may not click with every person we meet, we should attempt to. To relate to that person, and to try to see things from that persons perspective so we can be effective witnesses. I believe the Holy Spirit can use any Christian that has been regenerated, in any circumstance for its purpose, since it is the Holy Spirit that persuades, not me, but we have an advantage knowing some apologetics. It could in some cases plow the ground for the Gospel to be heard.

1 Corinthians 9:19-23
New International Version (NIV)
Paul’s Use of His Freedom

19 Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:14 am
I attempted here to answer some objections put forth by some outspoken atheists, and I to the best of my knowledge it fell short, and was not received well immediately by the ones I intended for to read it, but I don't know who will read it on their site in the future and be convicted by the Holy Spirit which is why I will not let what appears to me as a failure stop me from doing the same thing in the future.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Crinis

Beloved Conversationalist

10,900 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:23 am
Garland-Green
Crinis

I agree with that definition of apologetic. It is not about winning an argument, but presenting people to Jesus. If we go into it wanting to win, then we have already lost. Apologetics is though at its core tearing down arguments that are constructed on false premises, which obstruct people from coming to a saving faith.
We can't always see an immediate result, but we should not let that keep us from witnessing. We should keep in mind that it is not how effective our debate skills are that save people, and then give up, but rely on the Holy Spirit to work through us, and remember what God says in the Bible:

so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

However bad our arguments are, if it is God's desire that this person should be saved, he or she will be saved.

Though we may not click with every person we meet, we should attempt to. To relate to that person, and to try to see things from that persons perspective so we can be effective witnesses. I believe the Holy Spirit can use any Christian that has been regenerated, in any circumstance for its purpose, since it is the Holy Spirit that persuades, not me, but we have an advantage knowing some apologetics. It could in some cases plow the ground for the Gospel to be heard.

19 Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

Wow. Yeah, I get it a lot more now. Thanks for sharing and replying.

That's something that I can relate to. And it's amazing how the more I go and how I feel I'm familiar with the Bible, it still has something I can relate to and recollect in a new way by reflecting on it.

And I whole heartedly believe in the power of speaking upon deaf ears, though it can be like a little nick in the wall that eventually crumbles down the unlistening ears as one might reflect on a realization later on, caused by other people that had come into their lives and that first nick was just a little brush though small and insignificant triggered a line of thinking that eventually led to one's salvation. That's the Glory of us people such a social creature. That's the way I see it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:57 am
Crinis
Garland-Green
Crinis

Wow. Yeah, I get it a lot more now. Thanks for sharing and replying.

That's something that I can relate to. And it's amazing how the more I go and how I feel I'm familiar with the Bible, it still has something I can relate to and recollect in a new way by reflecting on it.

And I whole heartedly believe in the power of speaking upon deaf ears, though it can be like a little nick in the wall that eventually crumbles down the unlistening ears as one might reflect on a realization later on, caused by other people that had come into their lives and that first nick was just a little brush though small and insignificant triggered a line of thinking that eventually led to one's salvation. That's the Glory of us people such a social creature. That's the way I see it.

I think the Bible is an inexhaustible source. It has been my experience too that the more I think I know, the more apparent is it to me that there a formidable mountain of things about it I don't know. You could know all the Bible word for word, then read it a million times, and still learn from it. It will never outlive its usefulness, or just be another book that you once read, but you are now done with, and can forget. I think that speaks volumes of its origin, and the mind the Bible comes from.

That is a great way of seeing it. 3nodding Sometimes it is also events tragic, and good in our life, pushing us towards accepting Jesus. I can kind of sense that my life has been laid out in such a way, that I should come to the point where I am now in life. Tragic events, deaths and meeting certain people that made me walk where I would not have walked if they did not happen. That is probably true, I think, for all of us. That we have been pushed towards Jesus actively by the Holy Spirit.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Spirit Reborn

Friendly Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:08 am
Garland-Green

Ah! I've always struggled with these verses. Thank you for posting it and reminding me! Is Paul saying that he "became like a Jew, became weak, become all things," in a ..literal sense? Or did he empathize/placed himself in their shoes/perspective in thinking in order to save them?
I've always wondered what he meant by becoming weak, a Jew, etc.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:29 am
Spirit Reborn
Garland-Green

Ah! I've always struggled with these verses. Thank you for posting it and reminding me! Is Paul saying that he "became like a Jew, became weak, become all things," in a ..literal sense? Or did he empathize/placed himself in their shoes/perspective in thinking in order to save them?
I've always wondered what he meant by becoming weak, a Jew, etc.

Being under grace I don't think he meant it in a literal way. That he placed himself under the law again, so that he could argue as someone under the law. Paul preached against going back under the Law (Galatians 2:16), after having found freedom in Christ. If you place yourself under it, you have to be justified by it and live by it, then you have in a sense trampled the work of Jesus Christ under your foot and said you can do this on your own.

Galatians 5:1-15
Freedom in Christ

5 It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

2 Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. 3 Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. 4 You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. 5 For through the Spirit we eagerly await by faith the righteousness for which we hope. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

7 You were running a good race. Who cut in on you to keep you from obeying the truth? 8 That kind of persuasion does not come from the one who calls you. 9 “A little yeast works through the whole batch of dough.” 10 I am confident in the Lord that you will take no other view. The one who is throwing you into confusion, whoever that may be, will have to pay the penalty. 11 Brothers and sisters, if I am still preaching circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offense of the cross has been abolished. 12 As for those agitators, I wish they would go the whole way and emasculate themselves!

Life by the Spirit

13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. 14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself." 15 If you bite and devour each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other."

What did Paul mean when he said that he became all things to all men?  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Swordsman of God

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:59 am
When I was studying at Pacific Garden Mission in Chicago- When we went out to street preach they taught us not to waste time in debating and fighting with words instead show and go on - I agree with this teaching even today- All the knowledge in the world is nothing to knowing the Shalom of Yashua

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEgDf-h4HH0&list=FLebgtzXqnWCk3J31_Gg6LPA

Chicago was when I was 19 now in less then a month I will be 29 and still it rings the same - Fighting the way that enrages does not allow us to show love of God at all.

The Rabbi's would debate and argue (in our sense) all day long but at the end they would come out hugging each other and calling one another brother no matter how much they disagreed - You can see Yashua do this as well -

As of late I studied with a Jewish Pastor learning what it means to be a Hebrew - I have noticed that unlike ungodly debates we are to yes live in the passion of peace in Christ but we are not supposed to allow this strength in passion to make us prideful enough to act in a way or speak in a way that would discredit the greatness of Yashua in us - Yashua means Salvation -  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:02 am
Garland-Green

Thanks for your help, Garland! I loved the link as well.
God bless  

Spirit Reborn

Friendly Citizen

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:04 am
Spirit Reborn
Garland-Green

Thanks for your help, Garland! I loved the link as well.
God bless

Happy to help!
God bless you too.  
Links

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas