Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply Off-Topic
I LOVE... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DeathxGrip

Dedicated Browser

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:02 pm
Taeryyn

Mmmm must have been even more amazing fresh out of the oven 4laugh
This thread is making me so hungry and now I crave a lot of food.

Weird, I don't like rockets. I don't like their chalky/tangy taste. I had a donair yesterday actually, we were
off to see a movie and needed something quick to eat. Was either pizza, donair or fast food.
I can't believe I forgot about Beaver Tails(or Whale Tails or Elephant Ears), I haven't had one since I was
younger though, man now that I think of it, those were so bad for you. Deep fried flat dough tossed in sugar.
Oh well. It's good to indulge sometimes !

Which province do you reside in? Assuming you live in Canada mrgreen  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:04 pm
Poutine is like a super-rare treat for me, since I don't normally eat gravy (I'm primarily vegetarian), but the best variation I tried had fries, gravy, cheese curds, fried mushrooms and onions, and jalapenos. So artery-clogging, but soooo gooood. Hnnng.

Oh, and a pub in my last city made turkey dinner poutine, with the fries, curds, and gravy, mixed with turkey, cranberries, and stuffing. 3nodding

DeathxGrip

I'm currently in Ontario, but I'm from Nova Scotia originally, and spent the last 6 years in New Brunswick. I kinda get around. razz Are you out East? I didn't think donairs had spread to many places in the rest of the country, which is why I was curious.

I don't like rockets, either. Like you said, they taste chalky. Our Smarties > US Smarties.  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

DeathxGrip

Dedicated Browser

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:19 pm
Taeryyn

I may actually go get some tonight D:. Fulfill all my cravings slowly. That turkey poutine does sound quite amazing...
I should see if places around here have anything like that. I used to be pescatarian, realized I was forcing myself kind of
and decided that it wasn't right xD. I couldn't give up sushi mainly, which is why I went pescatarian. Favorite food is sushi.
I agree though. Our Smarties beat US Smarties. I somewhat like M&M's better but I think it's because its less sweet than smarties are.

I actually live in BC xD on the other side of Canada, wonderful city of Vancouver. I'm curious... do you guys have Purdy's?
It's popular hear but I heard in the eastern side of Canada it wasn't that popular. I love their hedgehogs.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:29 pm
DeathxGrip

Oh, definitely not East, then. xD My grandmother used to live in Vancouver when I was much younger, so I've been there a few times, but not since I was like...7.

Like, 99% of the time I maintain a veg diet, but every couple of months I indulge in a meal with meat in it, since I'd like to retain the ability to digest meat without epic pain. I love sushi, too; a night out at a sushi restaurant with some friends was my last non-veg indulgence, actually. emotion_drool I could really go for some inarizushi right about now, actually.

I've never heard of Purdy's. I did some quick google-fu, and it looks like a chocolatier? I also have no idea what a hedgehog might be in terms of chocolate, hah.  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

DeathxGrip

Dedicated Browser

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:56 pm
Taeryyn

Yeah West Coast! I haven't really traveled much, only to Florida and also had a roadtrip to Edmonton/Calgary.

Do you get creative with your veg diet? I mostly eat seafood and white meats now that I think of it. I eat lots of tofu and spinach
and other greens when I see my grandma. It's a nice change going over there. Completely different food than it is at home.

That's awesome, I went last night... and the night before that... sweatdrop . I can't help it. They say too much sushi is bad. There's this ayce place I like
to go to and I always get the nigiri and sashimi usually. Actually getting what I paid for!

How long have you been a vegetarian?

It's pretty much this. They also sell ice cream and ice cream bars at the stores, which are usually in malls. Now that I think of it,
I live like a 5 minutes bus ride along the same street as the chocolate factory!!! I completely forgot.It's not very big though.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:12 pm
DeathxGrip

Other than trips directly to Vancouver, I've never been further West than Ontario. I've been all over the Maritimes, though, and to Finland and Estonia. I'd love to travel more, but it's so expensive.

Do you have any favourite types of sashimi or nigiri?

My diet is pretty varied, so I eat a diverse mix of veggies, pulses (like lentils and beans), grains, and nuts. I don't abstain from dairy or eggs, either, and I've come to enjoy tofu. I started phasing meat out of my diet when I was 12, and until my early 20s, I was surprisingly consistent about it, to the point where eating meat made me physically ill. I deliberately reintroduced it to my diet then, and for the past several years I make a point to eat it (mostly fish) every so often. 3nodding

It sounds like your grandma keeps a pretty healthy diet. And she makes pho, which is sooo delicious. (So many different foods I'm craving now. ;__ wink I honestly never had the chance to try it until I was like 20 or 21, maybe? Nova Scotia's not a great place to find Asian cuisine of any sort.  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

DeathxGrip

Dedicated Browser

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:14 am
Bri-the_cookie_goddess

Wow. Sounds like something my bf and his mom would like. I don't know about myself. Ketchup and sour cream together is good enough for me. And the occasional dip in a milkshake xD

Hahaha they even have poutine pizza, which is just poutine on a pizza, but it's still flat instead of a heaping mound of fries/cheese/gravy. I don't think I've tried that before but I can see it being almost like mayo/ketchup, like a more mellow taste than the ketchup has to offer. I do that too. It's good, can't help it xD. I have a friend though... who gets medium fries and an ice cream cone in a sundae cup just to dip his fries lmao.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:37 am
Taeryyn

I shall use google-fu too to see where Estonia is! Oh wow I never knew it was a country. I know what you mean, I hope to travel this year for my birthday. Which is in about a month! I just don't know where I want to go. I know who I want to go with already so that's decided.

For nigiri, I like salmon, tuna, shrimp, unagi, and there's one I can't remember but it reminded me of the taste of mushrooms but a mild taste. It might have been red snapper. For sashimi, I like salmon, tuna(toro, which is essentially the fatty part of the belly). I haven't tried much sashimi. I remember trying octopus... it felt like chewing on a tire. Its just a muscle wrapped in a softer muscle ._. I didn't know that till after.

Oh and THIS RIGHT HERE. Favorite sushi place. Has so many custom rolls. I'm just posting the menu of the custom non-vegetarian rolls. The custom vegetarian rolls are here. It's a really funky atmosphere. It's got black lights and huge monsters and random models of things. Each table uses a candle light sticking out of a glass rootbeer bottle. They've got like seamonkeys, tigers, octopus', an astroboy booth. I'm just gonna shut up about it now. stressed

My mom works for the grain elevators here in Vancouver so she gets lot's of free raw stuff if she wants it. Flax, lentils, and I can't remember what else. She would always blend up the flax seeds and secretly put it in our spaghetti sauce... lol. That sucks being ill. At least it doesn't seem to be happening anymore! mrgreen . Was it your choice, at 12 to start phasing it out? I had an ex who lived on a farm when he was younger and now he's vegetarian, saved his pet chicken from... y'know D:. I thought that was sweet.... I've seen him get physically ill twice. Seemed very painful x:.

She does maintain a healthy diet! I dislike going over when she cooks fish. Her house just wreaks of it xD. I feel bad for the people in her building. She doesn't do it too often though. At least you've tried it! There's this completely vegetarian vietnamese place in Vancouver that I just found recently, it's really really good. Vancouver must have almost every cuisine. Since I was born and raised here, I feel sometimes I forget how beautiful this city is xD.  

DeathxGrip

Dedicated Browser

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:01 pm
DeathxGrip

I mainly travelled around Finland, but I took a day trip to the capital of Estonia, since the old part of Tallinn is gorgeous and parts of it haven't been changed since the middle ages.

Do you think you'll stay in Canada, head to the US, or somewhere else? smile

I like octopus dumplings, and I like octopus cut up into bits in sushi rolls, but I know exactly what you mean about the big chunks of it. It's rubbery and really (to me) not all that appetizing.
That restaurant sounds epic! I definitely haven't been anywhere like that. surprised If I ever end up in Vancouver, I'll have to check it out. There's a chain of candy stores out East called Freak Lunchbox that (from the sounds of it) have a very similar vibe/aesthetic, and they're incredible.

Sounds like your mom is a vegan's dream mom, haha. And yeah, it was my choice to stop eating meat. The rest of my family isn't veg, so I learned to cook for myself around the same time, haha. Initially, my reasoning was, "The poor animals, how can I eat them?", and it was totally emotionally-driven. As I've gotten older, though, it's become much more about health in general and how I feel.

Ottawa is the biggest city I've ever lived in, and I love all the green space. Most of it seems so well-maintained. The last city I lived, Saint John (in NB) was...well, to be honest, it was kind of a dump. The dirty, run-down parts of it definitely grossly outnumbered the nice parts, and the whole place was incredibly industrial. I mean, the East side was dominated by the biggest oil refinery in the country, plus a big liquid natural gas terminal, while the North had a big pulp mill, and the uptown area had a shipyard and potash plant. Not exactly quaint. I miss parts of it, though.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:52 pm
Taeryyn

Cool (: One day I'll travel more, when I have the money, but for now it's to save for school... I really want to move out like REALLY want to move out. I don't know why but I do xD.

Maybe to the US for a few years, then Australia and then maybe somewhere in the UK I haven't decided. I've always wanted to live in San Francisco, I've got some friends there.

Takoyaki? or whatever? I only like calamari from Thai restaurants xD. Usually the Thai restaurants use this sweet chili sauce instead of tzatziki or whatever they normally use. If you ever end up in Vancouver lemme show you around biggrin . Freak Lunchbox sounds awesome. I can imagine lots of imported candy there hahaha.

Hahaha. Our pantry is just filled with bags of random stuff. I can't even identify some of them. Oh okay, cool, you don't hear about 12 year olds giving up meat and then making their own food. I was curious, but it's good you transitioned to that state of mind. I feel like your state of mind on something can be beneficial to what you're doing.

xD I always assumed everything on the East side was beautiful, filled with green, flowers, trees, etc. but I guess that's away from the bigger cities.  

DeathxGrip

Dedicated Browser

Off-Topic

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas