Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply News with a Christian perspective
Change is brewing among American Christians

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:45 pm
Change is brewing among American Christians

Something tells me this is not a good idea. I doubt these church bars have a 'one beer' policy.

"Drinking was, and in many cases still is, outlawed on Christian college campuses and among leadership of many churches and denominations."

Drinking has a negative ring to my ears. It implies more than just a sip.
Perhaps it is just the culture difference between Europe, and the US? How are we not to fall into the snares of the devil being drunk, when it is difficult to see these snares when we are sober?

Galatians 5:21
Envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:10 pm
This is essentially how I feel about the issue:

Quote:
Among colonial Christians, “no one felt any tension between Christianity and the moderate use of alcohol,” notes historian Mark Noll. Rather, most believers in America before 1800 “regarded the moderate use of alcoholic beverages, particularly beer and wine, as a privileged blessing from a gracious God.”

Not sure if they met in pubs though.

I'm not a fan of any alcohol in the body for the reason that any amount affects our discernment. But like scripture said (and you said, and what historically has been said), the problem (and sin) lies in drunkenness, not the alcohol itself. Since these are Christians we're talking about, I expect they know to moderate the amount they drink and not be reckless with it. I can't say the same for the "heathens" they're trying to lure in. If they come for the alcohol, and are too inebriated to accept Jesus or assimilate what is being said, they're going to stay for the alcohol and the social aspect, not Jesus—which is the same problem that always plagues us if we try to "lure" people in by something other than Jesus himself.  

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

News with a Christian perspective

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces