Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply Off-Topic
The Great Language Game

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:03 pm
A friend of mine referred me to this game, where you have to correctly identify languages based on sound.

http://greatlanguagegame.com/

I've been having a lot of fun with it, although I'm not all that good at it, so I thought I'd share it here.

Feel free to discuss:
-High scores
-Which languages (or language families) tend to stump you
-What languages you speak or are familiar with
-Anything related to this game, or similar games  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:25 pm
                ooh, this is fun!
                on my 1st round, i got 200? i don't know how good that is, though.
                as for the ones i got wrong, they aren't related at all, but they sounded vaguely arabic/ spanish to me when i heard them, so there's that.
                um, i'm a tiny bit familiar with mandarin? i was taking it in school last year, although i decided on orchestra instead. so, i'm hoping to learn it online. i took spanish from 1st to 5th, so i can read it a little bit. and... yeah.

edit: i played a few more times, and i'm not the best on the indo-european, as well as the slavic ones (also, i can never identify bosnian correctly).
                x

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

chrisahari_AMC

Fuzzy Man-Lover

9,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:07 pm
I can't get above 200 scream  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:54 pm
Got a 500 on my first go.

I tend to be really god at European languages, save a few of Scandinavian ones that throw me for a loop.

In general I notice I have a good regional awareness when it comes to a language. I can tell, for the most, what areas people come from in regards to the Middle East, Asia, and most of Europe.

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200

Anja Sedai

Timely Traveler

20,450 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:52 pm
Wooo, got 600 my first try! whee

I mostly bombed out on the Eastern European ones. I really never hear those, so I'm not particularly good at distinguishing among them. I did really well with Asian languages though. I love languages, so this was a really fun quiz.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:11 pm
The highest I've gotten so far is 650 edit: 700. I've had a real hard time distinguishing between many of the Asian languages, especially Tamil, Malayalam, Hindi, and Kannada, not to mention Malay and Indonesian. Korean and Japanese are easy enough, but (although it hasn't come up yet) I don't think I could differentiate between Mandarin and Cantonese.  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

lgtenos
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:04 am
Well I suck, lol.

* High Score: 100
* I have trouble identifying European and African languages.
* I'm adept at identifying Asian and South American languages (because I'm Asian and all of the men I've dated have heritage in South America).
* I only speak English.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:29 pm
I got 550. I pretty easily identified European languages (I speak Russian and it has a little from all of Europe's languages.) but as far as other places went, I kinda just took an educated guess based on the little I know.  

Katana left the site

Angelic Shade

Alice Allusion

Ice-Cold Bloodsucker

19,890 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:05 pm
I got a score of 300.  
Off-Topic

Manage Your Items