Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Getting Tested

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:42 am
Well holy balls, man.

Today was my first time getting tested for STD's and HIV.

While I'm proud to say I'm "taking control of my sex life" it's still a bit awkward and nerve wracking.

There's such a stigma attached to the act of getting tested. People assume you're a slut because you "have" to get tested, and while I'm okay with being a slut I still don't think the idea of being tested should be negative or demeaning.

The physician that was asking me about my sex life was also rather judgmental in some ways. I suppose it was the way he posed the questions about my condom use and frequency of having intercourse with different people, I just felt judged.

Now as someone who has never been tested before but has had unprotected sex with quite a few different individuals, who assured that they were clean (we all know people "fib") I understand the ignorance in my behaviors and when I go to get tested to be aware of my status I don't think I need to be scolded or judged. I know my "behavior" and attitude towards my sexual health isn't smart, or exactly safe, but I can't rectify my past, I can only take the proper steps to change my behaviors and correct them.

Has anyone else been tested?
Did you also feel judged by your physicians and/or friends?
What are you thoughts on getting tested?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:03 pm
Der Fluch des Pharao
Well holy balls, man.

Today was my first time getting tested for STD's and HIV.

While I'm proud to say I'm "taking control of my sex life" it's still a bit awkward and nerve wracking.

There's such a stigma attached to the act of getting tested. People assume you're a slut because you "have" to get tested, and while I'm okay with being a slut I still don't think the idea of being tested should be negative or demeaning.

The physician that was asking me about my sex life was also rather judgmental in some ways. I suppose it was the way he posed the questions about my condom use and frequency of having intercourse with different people, I just felt judged.

Now as someone who has never been tested before but has had unprotected sex with quite a few different individuals, who assured that they were clean (we all know people "fib") I understand the ignorance in my behaviors and when I go to get tested to be aware of my status I don't think I need to be scolded or judged. I know my "behavior" and attitude towards my sexual health isn't smart, or exactly safe, but I can't rectify my past, I can only take the proper steps to change my behaviors and correct them.

Has anyone else been tested?
Did you also feel judged by your physicians and/or friends?
What are you thoughts on getting tested?

The place that I, among lots of of the glbt community, go to get tested is a queer-friendly(as they put it) clinic right by Davie street, which is the "gay-friendly" street here in Vancouver. I think this clinic is just for sexual related stuff like testing, birth control, plan B, free medication if you do contract an infection and shots if needed. I just had my Hepatits A & B shot done 4 days ago, I made my friend hold my hand though... I get a lot of anxiety and worry whenever I deal with needles. I only have one friend who knows about my sex life, but even then she only knows a little bit. Other than her, I keep my sex life and testings to myself usually.

I've never felt judged by them at this clinic, they're always supportive and sometimes ask if you think you've contracted anything if you reveal something... I guess... not safe? and if you say yes they go on to ask if you have friends or family for support and they offer you numbers to contact in case you need support(HIV support groups, etc.). I feel awkward when I'm dealing with a very attractive doctor/nurse and I have to answer questions about my sex life lol. I'm happy that there is this clinic, it's actually at a place called Qmmunity, which is a gay-friendly community center. They've got a youth hang out center, a little library, sign up's for events or to volunteer for the parade, a bunch of stuff. I have ran into a few people I've dated before and it's kind of awkward sitting in the waiting room, because everyone kind of knows why you're there and yeah that stigma is attached I feel.

I think some people dodge getting tested for the fear of hearing they've got something, which yes it is a scary thing to deal with. I also think some people are just selfish and know they have something, but like you mentioned with the fib, really don't care if they pass it on. People really need to be educated about it too and where they can get tested. It's gross but one of the newer high school that was built, the nurse accidentally slipped some information to the vice-principal while my friend was in his office and they were outside the door, she said just about half of the grade 11's & 12's had chlamydia. It's not a very big school, but they need that education... and free condoms/lube would help too... which they already have but maybe something mandatory(like after seeing the school nurse).

I agree with you that getting tested shouldn't be negative or demeaning. I also think that everyone should get tested. How much really depends on you though and how sexually active you are. Personally I'm not that sexually active ever but I live with a lot of worry, so getting tested every 3-4 months reassures me.  

DeathxGrip

Dedicated Browser

DragonSlayer Arcos

Vicious Bunny

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:23 pm
I am 24 and have only been with 6 people whoo..a low number it seems for the gay community in my state....XD

I think that getting tested is very important for many reasons, primarily though it is important for you. If you have something, it is always better to know in the early stages when they can be treated with medications to help suppress it and allow you to live a much healthier and happier life style. If you did contract something and fell into a state of denial, you could and most likely would do irreparable harm to your body.

Also don't forget, but voluntarily having unprotected sex is dangerous for so many reasons. I say don't risk it unless your are in a stable and exclusive relationship and you know each others past and status. People lie all the time. And its sad how many peoples lives are changed forever for a little bit of fun. And remember also, passing on an STD can be classified as a federal crime based on either willingly passing it on or doing so while ignorant of your condition if you haven't been tested for a certain amount of time.

I view getting tested as a sign that I want to be sure I am healthy, and a way to protect my partner also. I've been with the same man for 2+ years now and still get tested because you can contract STDs through mosquito bites as well as other parasitic vermin.

Short story, take getting tested as a way prove you care about yourself and your current or future partners  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:38 pm
My thought is that more people should get tested, and more often. There was a huge syphilis outbreak in NB within the past few years, almost exclusively among men who sleep with men. emotion_donotwant Not to mention all the other wonderful STIs you can contract.

I usually get tested once or twice a year. I am pretty careful about using protection (although I'm more relaxed if I've been in a monogamous relationship for a while), but it's nice to know for sure. I have to be at the hospital for other medical issues, anyway, so I really have no excuse not to.

I've never felt judged for getting tested. Quite the opposite, actually; usually the physician or nurse laments the fact that so few people take care of themselves, and that's why STIs are such a problem.

It's not generally something I talk about with my friends, so I don't know for sure what they'd think, but I imagine they'd probably think I'm paranoid, if anything.  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

DragonSlayer Arcos

Vicious Bunny

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:14 pm
I agree, physicians I have visited have been very polite and happy to see people getting tested.

It really doesn't make sense to me on why people wouldn't want to know they are healthy and clear of any infections. Its nerve wracking, of course but would you rather avoid getting tested, become sick through one way or another and then find out that you are in the late stages of an illness? My guess would be nope.

A hetero friend of mine was recently diagnosed with HIV and he doesn't know who gave it to him, which means he could have passed it on to others without knowing it...Scary thought.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:22 am
I got tested a few years ago because I didn't know how my genitalia was supposed to look (yes I was that sheltered by my family). I could hear the gynie laugh at my worries outside the room with a nurse...which I happened to overhear. The gynie also had a bunch of soap opera magazines, which I incorporated into my rationalization of why my gynie was such a unemphatic bigot, being the sensitive person that I am.  

Gummy burrs

Ghostly Regular

14,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items