Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Unsure about my sexuality

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chaotic Houndoom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:40 pm
Now I've been here for a while reading on topics that I see. I'm always curious about what people say about different subjects. But now I've got something I want to know what others thing.

I've been thinking a bit about my sexuality in the past and never really had an answer for myself. The thoughts left for a while since in my scatterbrained mind it wasn't important. Once again I have found myself wondering.

My preference is towards men, but I've always said that it doesn't matter who loves me as long as I am loved. I get distracted by breasts in video games if they are big enough. Soul Calibur's Ivy is a great example of that. I've daydreamed all over the place about sexual encounters and have reacted to such thoughts. (Trying to keep this safe for Gaia.)

This all makes me wonder if I'm a straight girl with just a very open mind and wild imagination, or am I Bi or Pansexual? Curious to see what you think.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:39 pm
Sexual orientation is a complex spectrum, so often specific blanket labels feel a little insufficient. In the case of people who aren't really sure, I always advise not worrying too much about what to call it. Once you slap a label on yourself you may start feeling compelled to act in accordance with how you think you're "supposed" to act to fit that label. That's limiting and often unfair to yourself.

If you feel like a certain label is right, then go ahead and use it. If you don't know, then just worry too much about it. Eventually you'll figure it out.  

Purple Robot Queen

Chaotic Houndoom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:14 pm
Purple Robot King
Sexual orientation is a complex spectrum, so often specific blanket labels feel a little insufficient. In the case of people who aren't really sure, I always advise not worrying too much about what to call it. Once you slap a label on yourself you may start feeling compelled to act in accordance with how you think you're "supposed" to act to fit that label. That's limiting and often unfair to yourself.

If you feel like a certain label is right, then go ahead and use it. If you don't know, then just worry too much about it. Eventually you'll figure it out.

That is about the same thing a friend of mine said. But as I have learned in a Communication Class, humans have the tendency to categorize and put themselves and others into groups. It's called social identity theory.

Never thought I would apply class stuff into real life that quickly, but this one is a very common thing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:58 am
Queen Melethia Dagon

Well, the way that at least I test out something is by simply saying that "I am x" rather than asking myself "Am I x?" If you tell yourself rather than ask yourself, it actually feels like the resolution comes sooner. If it doesn't feel right or if I contradict it at all, then it isn't so (for the time being, at least, as how things are with how fluid sexuality is). For example, it took me a long while to realize my sexuality (bisexual) because I didn't want to admit it to myself, so I identified as straight, but after there was a close group of friends that would be accepting, I finally became comfortable enough to re-evaluate that and realize that both genders were appealing to me.

Then using the "I am x" method, I met a transgender couple (MtF and FtM), and I knew I had always been different and more tomboy-ish, so I told myself that I was transgender, and I immediately accepted it as a viable option whereas if I had any sort of hesitation or outright disgust thinking it ("I am a girl" makes my stomach turn now), then I would save the problem until I could think it through more clearly.

This turned more into a rant than a comment. ;u; My b.  

Prince Leviathan

Versatile Player

Purple Robot Queen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:15 pm
Queen Melethia Dagon
Purple Robot King

That is about the same thing a friend of mine said. But as I have learned in a Communication Class, humans have the tendency to categorize and put themselves and others into groups. It's called social identity theory.

Never thought I would apply class stuff into real life that quickly, but this one is a very common thing.

Oh, I know it's a typical human pattern. That's why I always feel compelled to point out the problems it brings.
If nobody did it, I wouldn't have to say anything about it.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:33 pm
This is a really interesting topic. In my opinion I think youth need to be more educated on sexuality and all its different forms and how it is more fluid and less binary. When I was younger I knew I was different and when I discovered I have a romantic attraction towards men I came to the conclusion "Okay, I'm gay." and then had to do all the coming out stuff and what not. Now 5 years after coming out as gay and having grown up and learning everything I now know my horizons are much more broad because I live in a large city now as opposed to a very small town. I've been exposed to a lot more things later in my life and know now that I'm not actually gay, if I had to put a label on it I would say my sexuality is homo-romantic asexual meaning I'm romantically attracted to men and like the idea of one day maybe having a boyfriend and possibly husband however I have no desire for a sexual relationship and that is what makes actually finding a romantic partner difficult.

What we need to be teaching kids however is that gender and sexuality are not binary things and they can be fluid and there are so many more things in the world beyond male, female, straight, bi, gay. If we can better teach youth that there are all these different facets to our lives and how putting a label on everything can be destructive to one's self then maybe there can still be hope for society.  

Nerdodactyl

Duck

Chaotic Houndoom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:10 am
I do think children need to be educated more on sexuality (Among other things.), but there is the problem of parents and/or religion. I'm going to leave it at that because I rather not make this a bashing, also I'm hungry and would like to eat something.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games