Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply Extended Discussion
Using Religion to hate and discriminate

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Pocky Fox

Tipsy Kitten

6,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Millionaire 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:08 pm
Hello everyone.
Well I just wanted to have a discussion about the title and how it effects most of our motive for gay rights. About a week ago I did a current event for my Gov't class about a bill that prevented G/L/B/T from entering business places because of religious conflict. My class and I had a huge discussion in this topic and I want to see how you guys reply to this.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:23 pm
People have freedom to do what they please, but should be wary of the consequences that come with doing what they please. We are living in a time when that is super important. We are still transitioning from one norm, and one moral set, to another.
On a side note, it is important to continue actively playing a part in that transition (in giving the LBGTQIA community the same civil rights as everyone else) in order for that transition to be made.  

Gummy burrs

Ghostly Regular

14,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Unbreakable Bond 150

DragonSlayer Arcos

Vicious Bunny

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:11 pm
Are you talking about that Bill that was vetoed that would have allowed discrimination in AZ?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:25 am
DragonSlayer Arcos
Are you talking about that Bill that was vetoed that would have allowed discrimination in AZ?

I think we're talking about a lot of things. Speaking of bills, California tried to do this: XxX  

Isabella Kiyoshi

Versatile Lunatic

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:19 pm
My biggest qualm with "Religious Freedom" bills is that they overstep the boundary between church and state.

The state, gov't and law, should never be steered by religion, never. "Religious Freedom" bills necessarily do that, they essentially use the guise of religious belief as a means to systematically discriminate against specifically gay individuals and since they're laws, the gov't is then endorsing that discrimination.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:25 am
I think when those type of bills get passed that it is a back step for us as a society. People aren't always going to agree, and that is okay. I don't think it's right for any one's belief to have any hold over anyone else. Isn't that part of the reason they separated church and state? Yes people should have religious freedom, however, one's religion should not be allowed to affect anyone else's freedom.  

darklingtears

Friendly Gaian

6,300 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
Extended Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items