Sparkly Friend

11,350 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:03 pm
User Image - - - K a e l a 2 0 1 5

- - - E v e r y o n e

XXXXX Hey girls! I need your help deciding how to style myself for prom!

First, my dress story:

Yesterday I went to a local charity sale. It is an organization that collects gowns and holds biannual sales - where they sell each gown for 25-50 dollars normally, and 100 dollars for bridal gowns - no matter the designer, condition, or the store cost.

the first one was a fail (nothing pretty that fit), so I went to the second one and just as i was about to leave i saw a size 8 gown with a corset back. I am a size 14, but because of the corset i was encouraged to try it on. it took a few minutes to get the mermaid gown to fit right around my hips, but we laced it up, and i loved it.

so, we knew that my butt was kindof big for the mermaid style dress, and there was about an inch left to zip, but i am losing weight fairly quickly. there is a little over a month until prom, and on my chart i anticipated on losing atleast another 6-7 pounds by then. -totally doable at the rate i am going. because of this, the flaws didn't matter and i got the dress.

I got a 400 dollar Maggie Sottero dress - with the tag still on it and in perfect condition - for 50 bucks. STEAL!!!

Here is the dress:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

So its exactly what i didn't want, but its perfect. It has interest, it looks fantastic, the beading is beautiful, etc. My favorite part of the dress is the fabric itself. It is made of a silk that is woven with two different colored strands, so it changes depending on how the light hits it, and it looks iridescent. The brown gets a bit lighter, and the sash goes between an orangey-pink to a light green (which you can kindof see in the first picture).

I want cute, but highly elegant and sophisticated. Keep in mind that I am much much much curvier in the dress than the model in the photo, and I can only use the accessories that I have or can make at home. here are the questions:

1: The sash in the back is meant to lay the way it is in the photo above, however, the sash falls to be longer than the dress. I was thinking about maybe tying it into a bow. Should I?

2. Necklaces: I have two faux-diamond necklaces to pick from. Pick from them below (the photo quality sucks. keep in mind they ARE in fact silver, not gold):

User Image

3. Hair: 2 things about hair. post pictures of styles or links to YouTube videos. I also need to know whether or not i should decorate my hair as well. I have a few hair combs, a tiara, and embellished bobby pins. Also, keep in mind that i am rather savvy with wire and beading, and i have made other hair accessories for myself in the past. post inspiration for those if you suggest that. Here are the combs and the tiara:

4. Shoes. My parents said I cant get new shoes. I will probably be going with my best friend, who is about an inch taller, and I don't want to tower over him in photos. the options are: black 5 inch heels with silver rhinestone-shaped studs, and 3 inch silver heels with big bows on the front. I am leaning towards the first, but then I will tower over him in photos. (I also have foldable flats that I change into at dances, so don't worry about me dancing in them). EDIT: I do have one pair of flat shoes that I just remembered. They are brown sandal-type shoes. they are hard to explain, but I would compare them to a rather dainty gladiator look. Ive had them for a long time - little worn. I plan on posting a picture of all of the shoes soon.

5. nails. I can do pretty much anything with my nails. I have every color, tons of glitters, nail rhinestones, etc. You name it, I have it, including holographic polish and holo-glitter polish. I just need to decide what to do. Suggest stuff, and also post YouTube links.

I am pretty good at deciding what to do for dances like this, but this is my last one. I really want to shine and go above what I have before. Please help, and give some advice!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:16 pm
Winning ideas:
Bow or no?
Bow Yes! smile It looks really great and keeps the sash from dragging on the ground
Accessories

Hair

Shoes

Nails
I got Impress nails in the pattern Night Fever. I have heard some great things about the nails and the pattern matches my dress really well

kaela2015

Sparkly Friend

11,350 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

kaela2015

Sparkly Friend

11,350 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:26 pm
bump  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:20 am
bump  

kaela2015

Sparkly Friend

11,350 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Trance Harper

Sparkly Fairy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:50 am
kaela2015

alright , so it sounds like you've got a couple points sorted already C:

for shoes , rather than compare to your date for photos ( don't even worry
        about height - it's well overrated ) focus on how high the hem of the dress
        comes off the ground . with a dress like that , you ideally want an inch ( max
        2 inches ) clearance from the floor in the front .

accessories like jewelery yeah ? don't well a necklace - it'll fight with the
        embellished neckline . match earrings and bracelet . well classy .

and wear you're hair up ( I can find a photo if you like ) ; you want a style
        that elongates your neck and takes advantage of the sweetheart cut .

happy to elaborate on any point c:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:55 am
Trance Harper
kaela2015

alright , so it sounds like you've got a couple points sorted already C:

for shoes , rather than compare to your date for photos ( don't even worry
        about height - it's well overrated ) focus on how high the hem of the dress
        comes off the ground . with a dress like that , you ideally want an inch ( max
        2 inches ) clearance from the floor in the front .

accessories like jewelery yeah ? don't well a necklace - it'll fight with the
        embellished neckline . match earrings and bracelet . well classy .

and wear you're hair up ( I can find a photo if you like ) ; you want a style
        that elongates your neck and takes advantage of the sweetheart cut .

happy to elaborate on any point c:

could you find photos of hair styles you would suggest? :3  

kaela2015

Sparkly Friend

11,350 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Trance Harper

Sparkly Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:11 am
kaela2015

you needn't do anything this elaborate unless you want to , but you get the gist c:

http://www.hairfinder.com/haircollections7/updo10g.jpg
        http://content.latest-hairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/images500px/gorgeous-and-sleek-romantic-updo.jpg
        http://www.womensbeautylife.com/albums/Bridal-Hairstyles/updo_brid_princess.jpg
        http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1-mxdiJOfH8/UY6GHknL_-I/AAAAAAAAAWk/ZtaubKOkBSw/s1600/Updo+2.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:20 pm
How was your Prom

AstridMiriam

Party Browser

13,100 Points
  • Runway First Vote 50
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Edward 100
04. ✿ - - - Fashion And Clothes

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash