Submit

Astra the Fae

Duremian Demigod

20,375 Points
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Team Moira 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:39 pm
It's an mmo that's been around since 2008 that's made by Perfect World Entertainment. It released it's newest expansion, New Horizons in December and has new areas, new beginning area and reborn system.

Does anyone else play this game? If so what server and which class is your favorite?

I've got a lvl 50 seeker on Harshlands and so far I love it.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:22 pm
Used to play until it became 100% pay to win. I was a huge fan of playing cleric, and then mystic. I really, really enjoyed it, but when they kept releasing more and more rank gear that was relatively impossible to get unless you were a huge merchanter or paid literally thousands, it just became unfun. I played mixed on Dreaweaver and Lost City, so when my friends started to quit and I couldn't keep up with cash shop gear on LC, I had no reason to stick around.

I still play on private servers occasionally. The feel of the game is wonderful, and I haven't found another MMO that had so much promise to it. The cash shop that PWE put in just ruined the game.

Also, when FC became a big thing, it was either pay people to level you there or be left behind.

Wonderful game, bad execution on Perfect World Entertainment's part.  

Shimo Kousetsu

Snuggly Blob

Astra the Fae

Duremian Demigod

20,375 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Team Moira 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:33 am
Shimo Kousetsu
Used to play until it became 100% pay to win. I was a huge fan of playing cleric, and then mystic. I really, really enjoyed it, but when they kept releasing more and more rank gear that was relatively impossible to get unless you were a huge merchanter or paid literally thousands, it just became unfun. I played mixed on Dreaweaver and Lost City, so when my friends started to quit and I couldn't keep up with cash shop gear on LC, I had no reason to stick around.

I still play on private servers occasionally. The feel of the game is wonderful, and I haven't foun
d another MMO that had so much promise to it. The cash shop that PWE put in just ruined the game.

Also, when FC became a big thing, it was either pay people to level you there or be left behind.

It's not pay to win if you didnt learn your class. Even with third and fourth recast you can still be a shitty player if you dont know your class. Also they dont "re-release" rank gear its always available near the commander in chief, they sell the wraith badges and tokens every so often. However you can get badges from the Pwi boutique agent or w/e the npc is called if you have tokens.

And the cash shop doesnt make it less fun. I've been playing since Age of Spirits right before the Tideborn expansion and it never bothered me. I even pked on my first cleric from 30-75. What makes it unfun is the toxic community.

Also with FC if you do normal runs, its free. There are also bosses in the exp room that no one does. And depending on your faction they'll do free exp rooms. Or just level with quests and hypers. Its how I went from being a lvl 14 seeker (I hypered and did the white emperor things they gave us)  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:19 am
Astra Green
I never said re-released, you misread my comment. They kept adding more and more rank gear, and making more ranks, and then adding recasts, etc. I remember spending a decent chunk of money on just r4 top for my assassin, when it was almost inconceivable for anyone to have r4, and then a few weeks later they put badges in the cash shop. The cash shop has been creating a power creep for years that fully free players have an incredibly hard time keeping up with.

You can lose with fully cash shopped gear if you're bad, but you have to be really good to beat them with free gear that you merch. PKing on a cleric or mystic is really rewarding, and I had tons of fun when I could fight people my level/gear level, but it sucks when suddenly you're dead when an assassin jumps on you out of stealth and stunlocks you until you're dead thanks to their 5aps, or when a seeker hits their combo and twoshots you, or when you get amped and then hit with a BIDS from a fully geared wiz, etc.

The cash shop doesn't make the game itself less fun, but it does make it so that a completely free player has barely any chance at full gear later. I may be behind on the prices, but 12 star orbs are, what, $50 on sale? And you'll need two of those, since 11 stars aren't worth it, plus all the other orbs up to it, plus that for all other gear pieces, and then you need four good shards for each gear piece excluding orns.... You have to be good at merching, have a niche, be able to compete with other more well-established shops, be able to leave your computer on 24/7, restock/adjust prices often.... If top gears cost maybe $100, heck, maybe up to $300, it'd be reasonable. Top gears cost thousands of dollars without factoring in orbs and shards.

The game is fun. Then you hit a wall before endgame that is there thanks to the cash shop. TT gear and your r8 gear will only get you so far.

Problem about doing normal FC runs is that most people just want to buy heads. When I still played, I spent hours looking for runs, and I would find one, maybe two every two hours or so, even as a cleric or mystic.

Like I said, I enjoyed the game a lot and I still play on private servers sometimes, because there I'm able to reasonably get gear and actually use my skill. I avoid the "instant 105/150 full gear" servers because there's no fun in that, but being able to level and gear up in, say, a month is a lot more fun than spending years on not getting anywhere without money. At one point I had great gear for my level. Then suddenly the sales started, and people could buy in seconds what I'd spent ages grinding and farming. I'm okay with cash shop giving an edge, but that huge of an edge is just a slap in the face by a money-hungry company.  

Shimo Kousetsu

Snuggly Blob

Astra the Fae

Duremian Demigod

20,375 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Team Moira 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:53 am
They haven't really added more ranks since 9..and really the r8 armor looks horrible so i'm glad there's a recast.

As far as poking as a mystic um its supposed to be easier to take down a sin since mystics get a type of stealth detector spell, also you always cast rez buff on you before you die and after. Plus spark + Nature's Vengeance + Absorb Soul=Instant death.

I'd rather support a game than be on a server that hacks games to make "easier" for players.:/ which I think makes them technically illegal.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:39 am
Astra Green
I was referring to the recasts, of which there are a lot now, and you have to reroll over and over.

Trust me, I know how to play mystic. I could handle just about anyone my level, or a bit above if they didn't have insane gear. On a p.server I played on, I never got top gear, but I was known as one of the top mystic players there. Sins never really expected me to survive their initial burst, but you can thanks to falling petals and the like. However, it's when they're levels above me and jump on me just for the heck of it that it's no fun; if I'm, say, 80, and a 102 sin jumps on me, I am not going to win, period. Sins aren't the worst class to fight as a mystic, but they do suck; on even footing, even if you push them away with bramble tornado, they can jump back onto you for barely any chi. You have to get lucky with maybe a purify proc so you can heal yourself, or stunlock well with devil, or get your vengeance+amp+sleep+spark+absorb soul combo off if you want them to die, and even then they might just evade it thanks to their status evade, or nullify the damage with focused mind (depending on which they have up; status evade is more of a pain since without stuns and sleep you will not kill them or survive). You can live, but they're hard to kill.

I'd rather support it as well, but honestly, the way that PWE treated the game does not make me want to support them. It's a trend with all of the games that they make, and I'm sick of it. Wanmei made a wonderful game, and if I could read Chinese I'd play on their servers. It's simply a matter of not wanting to play a game where I'm going to be at an inherent disadvantage unless I pay thousands of dollars.  

Shimo Kousetsu

Snuggly Blob

Astra the Fae

Duremian Demigod

20,375 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Team Moira 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:55 am
Shimo Kousetsu

I still play on private servers occasionally. The feel of the game is wonderful, and I haven't found another MMO that had so much promise to it. The cash shop that PWE put in just ruined the game.

Except this isn't a thread on how much people dislike it but if people played it and what server because i'm looking for people to play with.

Honestly discussing whether or not you like a companies practices is irrelevant.

I'm going to ask a crew member to either close this or delete it. Again all I wanted was to find other players who possibly played on H arshlands but obviously I doubt thats going to happen.

Have a nice day.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:23 pm
Astra Green
I didn't intend for it to become a discussion about disliking the game or whatever. I didn't honestly expect to start a conversation over it. My first post actually said that I really enjoyed how the game feels, and that I haven't found one that I liked nearly as much. It just so happens that I don't like how cash-dependent it is.

I'm sorry you think that I was being rude or whatever; the conversation didn't have to take the turn that it did, but instead of focusing on the positives I pointed out, you focused on the negatives.

Have a good one.  

Shimo Kousetsu

Snuggly Blob

Astra the Fae

Duremian Demigod

20,375 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Team Moira 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:18 pm
Shimo Kousetsu
Astra Green
I didn't intend for it to become a discussion about disliking the game or whatever. I didn't honestly expect to start a conversation over it. My first post actually said that I really enjoyed how the game feels, and that I haven't found one that I liked nearly as much. It just so happens that I don't like how cash-dependent it is.

I'm sorry you think that I was being rude or whatever; the conversation didn't have to take the turn that it did, but instead of focusing on the positives I pointed out, you focused on the negatives.

Have a good one.
You couldve ended the post with just "I used to play it". Nothing in your post was negative besides being on a private server that stole different aspects from the game which is irrelevant since the thread isnt about private servers. . You also couldve made your own thread about that.  
28. ✿ - - - Video Games

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games