Submit

Yuki_Windira

Crew

Spoopy Bibliophile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:51 pm
http://cheezburger.com/256005

You see this s**t? >>;  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:12 pm
I made my parents cry with word problems I had while I was in school.
I'm not going to show this to my mom, she'd probably implode upon sight of this ********.

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100

Yuki_Windira

Crew

Spoopy Bibliophile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:15 am
x-x; What is the point of making Elementry kids do this crap anyway?  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:54 pm
Sweet Baby Jesus. Those seem like some uncomfortably high standards for math.

Shesh, I ******** hate Math. e_e

Haisieo Cross

Fashionable Lunatic

4,800 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Brandisher 100
  • Autobiographer 200

Darkness Dragons Revenge
Crew

Loyal Mage

19,750 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:01 pm
My brother didn't learn division until 5th grade.
This is BS.

Does anyone remember having to learn stuff and having to do it to the exact mark or we wouldn't get credit for the homework/test/quiz? That was me ALL THROUGHOUT MIDDLE SCHOOL.
My father would sit with me every night and say, "Well you can do it this way," and I always told him, "I can't; I have to do it this way or the teacher won't count it." And he never believed me.
Until now when TONS of parents are finally complaining about this bull sh*t.
And it really sucks because in high school they try to break you out of the mold, but you're so stuck in the ways of, "I absolutely 100,000,00 percent HAVE to do it this exact way without wavering."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:47 pm
Darkness Dragons Revenge
This is BS.

Does anyone remember having to learn stuff and having to do it to the exact mark or we wouldn't get credit for the homework/test/quiz? That was me ALL THROUGHOUT MIDDLE SCHOOL.
My father would sit with me every night and say, "Well you can do it this way," and I always told him, "I can't; I have to do it this way or the teacher won't count it." And he never believed me.
And it really sucks because in high school they try to break you out of the mold, but you're so stuck in the ways of, "I absolutely 100,000,00 percent HAVE to do it this exact way without wavering."

Blargh,think I had a few teachers that were like that.>.o;

There's no winning with math is there? 8(  

Yuki_Windira

Crew

Spoopy Bibliophile

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:56 pm
Darkness Dragons Revenge
This is BS.

I must be lucky, I didn't get that.
I'm insanely glad I didn't get that because I was always like three grades ahead of everyone when it came to what I could do in math. >>;
One of my biggest things, though, was having to show work.
Teachers would be convinced I must be using a calculator and I'm like "Uh, no, sorry, I can compute all of this in my head, I'll prove it."
So when I got to uni and the class elected me to write up the official solutions after tests so they could know what they did wrong, oh man that was awful, because I had to add in SO many steps I inherently skip over because there were people that really needed that every-little-detail, step-by-step solution.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:10 pm
Yuki_Windira
x-x; What is the point of making Elementry kids do this crap anyway?

Honestly, no clue.
I went to elementary and middle school in NC, so from third grade on we had EOGs, End of Grade testing, every year.
We had to devote like an entire week to it, there was a reading test and two different math tests (one with a calculator, one without) and every couple years there was a writing test (If you ever had an EOC, think the writing portion of the English test; if you've ever taken the ACT with writing, it was like that portion of the test.).
And the teachers had to teach to the tests.
But the thing is, you could predict who would do well and who wouldn't every year.
It was always the same kids over and over getting the same scores.
Kids that were good at tests and interpreting the weird questions did great, kids with serious test stress problems did awful.
And then everyone was still pushed through to the next grade, anyway; I can't remember any kid in my classes that actually got held back, even if they probably could have benefited from it.
And the years I took writing tests? The state threw out all the scores of those in the end even though we were told our passing ABSOLUTELY depended on doing well.
Because their grading was so weird that most kids failed.

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100

Blind Blindness
Captain

5,075 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Informer 100
  • Market Browser 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:42 pm
Florida administers the FCAT (Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test) every year, which covers Math, English and, when I went to school, 5th grade and 8th grade was Science. Teachers and students always stressed because they had to prepare months ahead of time for this test. I don't know the specifics about the test now, but they have an FCAT 2.0. However, IN ADDITION to that, a couple years ago they instituted EOC examinations for Algebra 1, Biology 1, Civics, Geometry, and U.S. History. As I was getting out of high school, our teachers were basically like, "You're lucky. Because your peers will have to take these tests."

I seemed to be decent with math at that age, but I've always had the fortunate ability of being able to solve arithmetic type problems quickly in my head  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:11 pm
In high school in NC (I was still in NC for my freshman year) they have EOCs.
All the maths have one, all the English courses, the required government course, one of the required history courses, and the two required sciences.
There's also a state required standardized test for all the computer courses and oh man those are stupid hard.
They have a state required test for computers in middle school, too.
Up here in Ohio we just have the OGT, Ohio Graduation Test, which is insanely easy to pass and they give you some four different chances to pass it.
I can't remember a single person in my grade that had to take it more than once, though.
I know the freshman all take OGT readiness courses, but I never took them and still passed with flying colors.
My beau has said there's also a writing test in fourth and seventh grade, I think?
But passing the grade doesn't rely on making a good grade on that test; I think it just determines funding and awards for the school?
Ohio doesn't rely on standardized tests nearly as much as other states do.

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100

Blind Blindness
Captain

5,075 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Informer 100
  • Market Browser 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:38 pm
Interesting. Yeah, we had a writing test as well. 2nd, 5th, and 8th grade.
I'm not sure about computer tests...I need to ask my dad. I thought he mentioned some test....  
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:10 pm
I hate standardized tests; they stress so many kids out and they make you feel like you need to get great/amazing scores to be able to do anything in life.
My philosophy is "who gives a sh*t what the grade is as long as it's good; if colleges require certain scores, apply anyway. The worst they can do is say no."
I failed my SAT and I need to take it again and I'm almost certain (partially because of my failing SAT which seems easier) I failed my HSPA score.
Which means I have to take remedial classes.
Even though I'm ahead in my English and math courses.
Yay life.
If I do, mark my words I swear I will find a way out of them (currently in English honors, I just HATE writing essays and the math section was absolute s**t that we never learned).
The teachers said they'd give us a week or more to teach us. Yah complete and utter bull s**t.
We had one day.

Darkness Dragons Revenge
Crew

Loyal Mage

19,750 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
Randomness is a Virtue!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash