Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info
Maid Cafes - What do you Think? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:16 am
onegai onee-chan
The main midwest con I go to (Anime Central) didn't/doesn't usually have one. Although I hear that Anime Midwest is going to be having one this year!

So I'm desperately trying to go to see what the fuss is about. Maybe I can be a maid for them one year.
emotion_kirakira

For years I had been wondering what the fuss about Maid Cafe's was about as well. The first hour at the Maid Cafe at Youmacon in downtown Detroit, Michigan caters to some of the guests that are at the con. Some of the cosplayers at the con were able to go the cafe and mingle with the guests. That got my interest. At Jafax near Grand Rapids, Michigan they even had a workshop to teach people how to work at a Maid Cafe. I imagine that you would have to audition to be a Maid at one of the Cafe's. At the Maid Cafe that I went to this year both the guests and the Maid's had a great time, smile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:00 am
Hello!

I'm here as some one who actually runs a maid cafe just to give some insight for you guys on what happens behind the scenes and why an event might seem as a "failed" event.

Most cafes are run by an external group and have to pretty much negotiate with the cons to even get the event approved. Some cons have their own, however they never keep the same girls and audition new ones every year, which causes a lack in consistency.

Groups that run themselves have a certain standard they will hold their members up to, and expect them to train the newer members coming through, some groups execute this a little better than others in my opinion.

Groups that are made on a yearly basis, do not get proper training or proper event experience, they also have no one who has done the event before to help them along, which causes the "flaky" maid or the unhappy maid, as they are under a lot of stress and tend to drop out of the event, or they show up and can not perform to expectations.

Food and serving:
Most cons will not help the groups with budgeting and if they do, the budget is very minimal and rarely covers the cost of food for a two day event, let alone one day of the event. causing the smaller portions or lack of food. They also have to work within the hotels rules and regulations. Catering friendly hotels are best for maid cafes as they can bring in outsourced meals

Personally my own group does our budgeting. We use to be in a hotel that was catering friendly which allowed us to do full coursed bento styled meals, with the cons new move to another hotel we had to use their catering which caused us to have to go from a full meal to a dessert plate, or raise our entry fee to over $30.

This is just a small bit of information for you guys. If you would like to I can most likely make a thread just for Maid Cafe Q&A, which would include questions on how the events are run, how auditions are done, making your own, things along those lines.

I also have a list of upcomming and active cafes from around the world, for people to check out  

AuroraDyne

Beloved Lover

10,350 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:15 pm
xXButterflied MemoriesXx
feel free to make your own Q and A topic if you like, I am sure others are interested in this.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:38 pm
Extreme Cuddler
xXButterflied MemoriesXx
feel free to make your own Q and A topic if you like, I am sure others are interested in this.

would you prefer it under this forum, or one of the subforums? if one of the subforums then which would you suggest, just to keep things organized  

AuroraDyne

Beloved Lover

10,350 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:57 pm
xXButterflied MemoriesXx
Extreme Cuddler
xXButterflied MemoriesXx

would you prefer it under this forum, or one of the subforums? if one of the subforums then which would you suggest, just to keep things organized
good question, we might make a new subforum just for topics like this.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:37 am
My favourite would be the lucky Chocolate Maidcafe at DoKomi, in Germany. There are quite a few in our country, but formy personal taste it's the most advanced one and all the girls are very pretty. smile

https://www.facebook.com/LuckyChocolateMaidCafe/?fref=ts  

GaruruChan

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:50 am
GaruruChan
My favourite would be the lucky Chocolate Maidcafe at DoKomi, in Germany. There are quite a few in our country, but formy personal taste it's the most advanced one and all the girls are very pretty. smile

]https://www.facebook.com/LuckyChocolateMaidCafe/?fref=ts

Thanks a lot for sharing this with us. smile I will check it out.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:50 pm
GaruruChan

]https://www.facebook.com/LuckyChocolateMaidCafe/?fref=ts

hello~
I am the maid cafe 101 thread runner and owner of a maid cafe.

personally in my opinion though pretty
have you attended any of their events? If so feel free to share your experience. Please provide the con/event name that you attended as well  

AuroraDyne

Beloved Lover

10,350 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers