Welcome to Gaia! ::

THE RANDOM PEOPLE OF TOMORROW [[LET'S RAWRRR]]

Back to Guilds

Playground for the random. 

Tags: Random, Hangout, Roleplay, Contests, Arts 

Reply Hey Teacher Leave Those Kids Alone! [[The School forum for all your woes, loves and hates]]
Why is my school teaching us this?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Paladin Magnus Dawnguard

Vampiric Paladin

16,125 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Charging Power 75
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:18 pm
This is a school rant, so I wasn't too sure whether to put it in the rant forum or here. But get ready for a possibly reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeealy long rant about the fact that my school has been teaching us useless crap for the past few days.

So my school lets out on June 20, and they still think that it's necessary to teach us stuff that's completely unrelated to the class it's taught in and is also completely pointless (or at least for 70%+ of my grade). I got into school this week and walk into English class and our teacher says for us to sit down. So we do, and she gives us our whiteboards. Then she says to draw what you would typically see on the news. Once we're done with that, then she asks us what things are on the news and our class comes up with a whole list. The next day, we do the same thing but with documentaries, and we watch multiple videos that are documentaries meant to be only 2 minutes, but our teacher pauses them every three seconds to ask us what we see. Then today, we had to watch more documentaries. She gives us this sheet of paper and asks someone to read it aloud, and they do, but she stops them every few seconds so she can tell us to underline words and phrases. Then we get down to quotes on the bottom, and the first one was stopped only about three times for underlining and whatnot. But then for the second quote, the kid barely gets through a single sentence before she stops him to get us to underline and circle things. Then we go onto a fifteen minute video about a film maker, and we watched the first 6 minutes, but she makes it last like 15 minutes because she stops it so much! Now belie me when I say this, my teacher is really nice and I like her. But it's the stupid curriculum that makes all of this happen. It literally seems like one of those moments where you've run 100% out of creativity and you're straining yourself completely to find just one last little thing to do. I can't stand it! It's bad enough how we were taught the books this year (which I never knew I could despise learning techniques so much), and yet we've got this! It's English class!!! Why do we need to know the elements of a documentary and the news?! First off, documentaries bore me to death. I'd sooner fall asleep than see one (and I NEVER fall asleep during the day). And the news is just depressing and whatnot, so I don't watch it. And most of the people in my class basically thought the same things. Why would we ever need to know this stuff? I just really don't find it useful at all. It's not as useless as the things I do in math, but this is still pretty useless.

Sorry for it being so long, but I just can't stand how they're teaching us this if almost nobody in my grade watches documentaries.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:41 am
Good question and here I thought youre supposed to learn English in English class.... Now English is not my native language(cultural appropriation yay) But documentaries unless they deal with the history of England and its development of language.... have no place in an English class. Though watching a shakespear play I ca imagine is less boring than reading the book.  

Mera1506

Hey Teacher Leave Those Kids Alone! [[The School forum for all your woes, loves and hates]]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games