Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Christian Advice
Is it a Sin?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Wildear19

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:18 am
So I’ve had this question on my mind lately but first (again because backstory and stuff) here is some background info on myself (because ME.. I kid I kid) So, I’ve been an role player since I joined Gaia Online, got banned, made a new account, got banned again, and made my current account. Anyway, me getting banned over shamelessly cybering back in the day (because I was unsaved and bitter yes this is going to be a recurring theme throughout all the threads I make here, sorry ;-; ) is not the point, the point is what I’m working myself up to. So yes, role playing, I admit I adore it, I adore doing it, I adore making characters and throwing them into various situations for my own amusement. It gives me a rush, and a sense of things being in my control. I think I might not be able to control what will happen tomorrow… but I can so control this.. This is Mine!. Anyway, while I was unsaved, role playing on Gaia was something I was addicted to, and became a fundamental tool in my emotional survival, this and rampant sensuality (also a recurring theme ;-; ) were what gradually led to becoming an extremely pessimistic person (among more things that will be revealed in later threads ;-; )

Anyway, my question is this. Is it a Sin to get way into character? Am I being an idolater for doing this, for taking on their traits and headspacing (a fetish term meaning to ‘get into character’ basically believing I am them, which considering most of characters are females might be an issue (which I’ll make thread for later ;-; ) or am I just getting way too bent out of shape over something completely stupid and not worth considering?
This was probably a lame and or just silly question to ask, but it’s been bothering me and I’m not sure what to make of it, because well, I’m already addicted to role playing and any conclusion I make on my own will probably be in favor of it (hence why I brought it to the guild, you are all the only family in Christ I’m aware I have, or rather, the only family in Christ I feel I have, more on that later) If I am sinning please, rebuke me and help me back on the narrow way that leads to life and inexpressible joy.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:22 am
Wildear19

Ah..your last sentence honestly brought tears to my eyes. Beautiful.. praise God for softening your heart and opening up your heart to rebuke, correction, and the truth.

Roleplaying has been a huge thing in my life back then. When I was a little girl, I would roleplay with Barbie dolls and poly-pockets but when I was introduced to Gaia..roleplaying took a much more sinister? form. It started out, I guess, 'normal'..but I soon got carried away by it. Much like you, I reversed my own gender role. I was SO into it.. and after being constantly in character in the opposite gender..I became confused thinking that I was perhaps..a different orientation than I biologically was made by Him. And I reveled in the feeling of control- controlling my own characters on what to say, how to feel, how to react.. everything was 'perfect' in my own little world. I enjoyed making stories ..and all these characters would carry bits and pieces of my own personality..but with a different body, different/stronger personality without all the weaknesses that my reality self has. I get it. I was unsaved back when I still did this. And this role playing was actually the most important thing I left out of my testimony. It's something I've been so ashamed of. Because it got WAY out of hand.. possibly more out of hand than you. I felt so disgusted with myself because of the people I've hurt.. and I honestly just knew I was dead in my sins [even while still unsaved- I knew wholeheartedly it was wrong and I that I was deceiving myself].

Now back to you. roleplaying..can be harmful. I know, because I've been there. I've seen what it can do to me..and the damage it's left..not just to me..but to others. In short..yes. Roleplaying is idolatry. We make our own 'perfect'/ideal character and we end up worshiping that character so much so that we BECOME that character..
But that character, brother, isn't us. That character is a lie. We're believing in a lie.. And essentially..that character becomes our 'god'. It consumes our time, our lust to be that character, our fleshy/carnal desires are satisfied through that character.. And no matter how innocent or nice that character may be designed.. it's not us. It's apart from us. It's like wishing we would be like a certain celebrity, for example. Wishing that we'd have their lifestyles, appearance, attitude.. etc. We idolize those things.. and it can hurt and damage the best of people. It can leave us confused to the point of asking ourselves.. "who am I?" It slowly becomes hard to distinguish from reality. And some of those traits that we put into our ideal characters can seep into ours but in a negative way. And the poison of pride consumes our hearts. We want to control every aspect of this character ..and all the while, brother, we are escaping our reality through them and the stories they are involved in. We escape our actual purpose that God wants for us. How can we let Him into our lives, into our whole heart if we are living in a different life/lie? And it's hard. I get it. It's a process that He will walk you out of but you have to be willing to let go, even if it's little by little, or cold-turkey. Let Him convict you of the sins, that grieve Him, through His Holy Spirit.

And no, you aren't 'getting way too bent out of shape' over this. This is serious and needs to be prayed about and worked on with Him.
I would say to be completely honest with Him. Pour your heart out to Him about all of these things and how you feel about them and how you want Him to help you in this. Because there is hope. I've been freed from idolatry, lust, anger, emptiness, and many other things through roleplaying. Don't get me wrong though..idolatry, lust, anger, and emptiness *in other forms/areas* in my life are a constant battle. I'm not totally freed from those things. but in this area- in roleplaying..I have been freed. We are battling against an enemy that we cannot see. And he will use whatever it takes against us to bring us down with him and to separate ourselves from the One who can pull us out and heal us. We need to be careful and mindful of the lies that passes through our thoughts and hearts. We need to compare those lies to scripture and take a stand of the Truth. Like if the enemy whispers that you are unloved. God tells us that nothing can separate us from the love of God.
Quote:
38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[a] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Footnotes:
a.Romans 8:38 Or nor heavenly rulers

Even manga, I'd say..has damaged me. It's essentially the same thing as roleplaying since the characters are already made and the story and plot is created..all you gotta do is simply read through it..and most times, we connect with a certain character- especially the main character, and we see ourselves through their lives..and we mentally and emotionally become 'one' with them in a sense. And it's honestly scary.. same with t.v. shows and movies. If we're watching/reading things that involve characters..we need to guard ourselves. We need to think of them as completely separate from us..and not have us put ourselves in their shoes/role/personalities.
It's taken me awhile to be 'weaned' from these things.. especially manga. I would notice that I started to become lustful towards characters, that I started to basically commit adultery in my heart [Matthew 5:28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.] The same can be said about looking at men lustfully especially if they're not our spouse and/or if we're single.
Quote:
9Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with mena 10nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 1 Corinthians 6:9-10; 18 [NIV]
18Flee from sexual immorality

May God continually give us all the strength to flee from such lust, idolatry, pride, and many other subtle sins that creep up from this..for He is Sovereign and mighty..and if He can raise Christ from the dead and create the ENTIRE universe, and heal diseases, He can certainly raise us out of the pit that roleplaying sinks us in and any other area in our lives that need His healing, mercy, grace, redemption, love, patience..May He help us to pursue Him continually and to make time for Him..

In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.

All I have is Christ

Lyrics  

Spirit Reborn

Friendly Citizen

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:00 pm
I can't really add much more to that. 3nodding

A good rule of thumb is this: if you find yourself addicted, obsessed, with a fixation out of control to something or someone—and that something or someone isn't God—chances are we're starting to neglect our relationship with God, putting him second, while something else takes first place (we have idols). And if that thing/person is the one determining how you spend your time/money/words (instead of God and his Word determining how you use your words, what you spend your money on and how you spend your time), something else is sitting on the throne, someone/something else is being Lord of your life instead of Jesus/the Holy Spirit/our Heavenly Father. Be God's slave, not a slave to .

2 Peter 2:19 (NIV)

19 They promise them freedom, while they themselves are slaves of depravity—for “people are slaves to whatever has mastered them.”

1 Peter 2:16 (NIV)

16 Live as free people, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as God’s slaves.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:16 pm
real eyes realize

Yes, I completely agree 3nodding It's definitely something I struggle with as well- not in roleplaying- but with idolatry in general. Even my own stomach can be my 'god' and even my own self can be my 'god', if all I'm doing is paying excessive attention to my [appearance/clothes/indulging in food/drink etc for example]. I realize that other idols in my life don't necessarily have to take on the form of an actual 'god'-like person. I can be my own 'god' in a sense. < ~ Definitely struggling with that which is why I find that intentionally making time for Him helps take the spotlight off of me and shifts my focus back to Him as being my actual God.

@ wildear19: really glad that God has helped you to bring this up, by the way. It's a great reminder for me and, I'm sure, for many of us in this Guild because we all struggle with some form of idolatry.  

Spirit Reborn

Friendly Citizen

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:14 am
However, about the love of God, notice the subtle condition: in Christ. If we stay in Christ, nothing can separate us from the love of God.

Spirit Reborn
We need to compare those lies to scripture and take a stand of the Truth. Like if the enemy whispers that you are unloved. God tells us that nothing can separate us from the love of God.
Quote:
38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[a] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Footnotes:
a.Romans 8:38 Or nor heavenly rulers

I should've pointed it out earlier, but I've heard that verse used so many times in a particular way, that I just glossed over it. sweatdrop

And, as a second witness to this fact, it's a concept emphasized by Jesus himself in the Gospel of John:

John 15:9-10 (NIV)

9 “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10 If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love.

So it might be the enemy, or it might be the Holy Spirit (convicting you to walk in his commands so that you stay in his love). Not everyone stays in Christ after coming to him and getting saved; some fall away (Hebrews 6:4-6). If it weren't for the announcement, I probably would've let that slide; I didn't read that part of Chrissy's post with the alertness that I should have had.

Hebrews 6:4-6 (NIV)

4 It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age 6 and who have fallen[a] away, to be brought back to repentance. To their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

Footnotes:

a. Hebrews 6:6 Or age, 6 if they fall

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:57 am
real eyes realize
However, about the love of God, notice the subtle condition: in Christ. If we stay in Christ, nothing can separate us from the love of God.

John 15:9-10 (NIV)

9 “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10 If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love.

Hebrews 6:4-6 (NIV)

4 It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age 6 and who have fallen[a] away, to be brought back to repentance. To their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

Footnotes:

a. Hebrews 6:6 Or age, 6 if they fall

Ah, thank you for pointing that out!
Maria's right, I should have remembered those verses. Here's another one:
Quote:
1 John 5:1-5 NIV
5 Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves the father loves his child as well. 2 This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands. 3 In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, 4 for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. 5 Who is it that overcomes the world? Only the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.

Also, in the spoilers tab where you quoted Hebrew 6:6, are they talking about those who have fallen away from the faith [the entire faith that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and is the Messiah..etc] or those who have fallen by a specific sin? 3nodding Because if we keep a repentant heart and strive diligently to not intentionally pursue the sin that we have confessed..then that's okay. But if we do intentionally go back to those same sins, knowing full well that they are wrong and still do it..then I can see how Hebrew 6:6 would apply. But I also remember how others can fall away from the entire faith.
Quote:
1 Timothy 4:1 [NIV]
The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons

Other translations have: depart from the faith, fall away from the faith, turn away from the faith.

Spirit Reborn

Friendly Citizen

Christian Advice

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces