Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Potato
  Tomato
View Results

Akoti

Friendly Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:41 pm
I have been re-reading the book The Giver, mostly because it's one of my absolute favorite books, but also because I haven't figured some things out while reading all four of the Giver Quartet books. This thread is basically for dumb questions I wanted to ask to see what people can think up for the un-answered questions in The Giver Quartet.

Question 1: In The Giver, it was mentioned that there were, in fact, people with other colors of skin, hair, and eyes than were (mostly) in the community that the book takes place in. I know it was mentioned Fiona had red hair, and The Giver, Jonas, Gabe, and another person had blue eyes, but what happened to the other people who had things like dark skin or blonde hair? What happened to them when "Sameness" came? Were they all killed off? Were they simply not allowed to procreate? What happened?

Question 2: What happened to the community that Jonas and Gabriel left behind? Did they destroy themselves, or did they find a better way to live, one without killing the unwanted citizens of the communities? Maybe they kept living the way they had for centuries, pushing the memories onto that one little girl or pushing them back to The Giver?

Question 3: What IS the giver's real name? He couldn't possibly have been born being called 'The Giver' or 'The Reciever'.

I know I've probably been thinking too hard about all of this, but I just have had these questions swirling around in my head too much recently.

PS: I now have a fan-name for the Giver. His name is now Thomas.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:47 pm
Akoti
I have been re-reading the book The Giver, mostly because it's one of my absolute favorite books, but also because I haven't figured some things out while reading all four of the Giver Quartet books. This thread is basically for dumb questions I wanted to ask to see what people can think up for the un-answered questions in The Giver Quartet.

Question 1: In The Giver, it was mentioned that there were, in fact, people with other colors of skin, hair, and eyes than were (mostly) in the community that the book takes place in. I know it was mentioned Fiona had red hair, and The Giver, Jonas, Gabe, and another person had blue eyes, but what happened to the other people who had things like dark skin or blonde hair? What happened to them when "Sameness" came? Were they all killed off? Were they simply not allowed to procreate? What happened?

Question 2: What happened to the community that Jonas and Gabriel left behind? Did they destroy themselves, or did they find a better way to live, one without killing the unwanted citizens of the communities? Maybe they kept living the way they had for centuries, pushing the memories onto that one little girl or pushing them back to The Giver?

Question 3: What IS the giver's real name? He couldn't possibly have been born being called 'The Giver' or 'The Reciever'.

I know I've probably been thinking too hard about all of this, but I just have had these questions swirling around in my head too much recently.

PS: I now have a fan-name for the Giver. His name is now Thomas.

It has been a while since I read The Giver but I will try to answer the questions. Let's see...
1) They can't see colour. Everything is black and white to everyone except Jonas, who has the power to See Beyond. Skin colour or hair colour or stuff like that won't matter if they can't see the difference between them.
2) Well, many people try to think of what happened once Jonas left with Gabe. When I read it, in school, my teacher said maybe, since Jonas has been on such a long adventure to find the 'other world' with music and colour and stuff, maybe when he left, he had been gone for so long that when he got there, it was the same place but with colour and music and whatnot. That's only a guess. Another guess is, maybe when he finds the 'other world' he let everyone see colour and hear music and all that. Also, read the book Messenger. It gives hints to Jonas and Leader being the same person. (AKA Leader=Jonas a few years later) Although it is very possible that they kept living that way. Nobody knows for sure.
3) The Giver's TRUE NAME is The Giver. His NAME, I don't know. Feel free to call him Thomas for now I guess.  

K Milan-Princess of Filor

Loyal Regular

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Married 100
18. ✿ - - - Books

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items