Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info
Personal Space at Cons

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:35 pm
Lately I've been hearing and seeing more and more stories about mostly women who cosplay and have had their personal space being violated against their will. Some of the complaints have been about being photographed without their permission, being groped or felt up, and being leered at. Some of these women have been afraid of being raped.

Cosplaying has been around a long time now and some of the women go to great lengths to look just like the character that they are cosplaying as. Sometimes some jerks, creeps, etc think that a women wearing an outfit that looks exotic or is similar to a swimsuit gives them permission to do anything that they want to the person. These women are honoring their characters by dressing up as them at cons and should be treated with respect and not as sex objects.

Here are some things to keep in mind. When you go to a con play it safe by going with at least another person or with a group. Stick to the main areas of the convention so that if you need help a con staff person is not far away to help out if needed. If you go out on the town and do some drinking have at least one person that's not drinking to keep an eye out for trouble and to be a designated driver if needed. Most important, always be alert to what is happening around you at all times. If you don't feel safe go to a place that you know is safe. Some of the things that I mentioned above is just good common sense. Have fun at the cons and play it safe.

If you have any thoughts or stories about what you have seen or experienced at cons that violated someones personal space feel free to mention it in this thread. Some of your stories might help others out that go to cons.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:59 am
smithers456
Lately I've been hearing and seeing more and more stories about mostly women who cosplay and have had their personal space being violated against their will. Some of the complaints have been about being photographed without their permission, being groped or felt up, and being leered at. Some of these women have been afraid of being raped.

Cosplaying has been around a long time now and some of the women go to great lengths to look just like the character that they are cosplaying as. Sometimes some jerks, creeps, etc think that a women wearing an outfit that looks exotic or is similar to a swimsuit gives them permission to do anything that they want to the person. These women are honoring their characters by dressing up as them at cons and should be treated with respect and not as sex objects.

Here are some things to keep in mind. When you go to a con play it safe by going with at least another person or with a group. Stick to the main areas of the convention so that if you need help a con staff person is not far away to help out if needed. If you go out on the town and do some drinking have at least one person that's not drinking to keep an eye out for trouble and to be a designated driver if needed. Most important, always be alert to what is happening around you at all times. If you don't feel safe go to a place that you know is safe. Some of the things that I mentioned above is just good common sense. Have fun at the cons and play it safe.

If you have any thoughts or stories about what you have seen or experienced at cons that violated someones personal space feel free to mention it in this thread. Some of your stories might help others out that go to cons.

This unfortunately happens quite often to women who are wearing more conservative cosplays, too. I ran into it quite a few times at the last convention I went to. >>

Another good idea is to make sure that someone knows where you are going to be, especially if you're going to be outside the convention center. In addition to that, my friends and I used code words to let the others know if we were in an uncomfortable situation, allowing us to act accordingly without making the situation worse.  

xinitia

Crew

Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces