Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Midwest Conventions
Anime Apocalypse 2014

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Axel-Coded

Questionable Phantom

9,750 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:33 pm
This is a new con in the Rockford Illinois area. This will be its third year. This is one of my favorite cons because of its size and because of how many people you meet there. It is from December 26-28th this year. I plan on going this year again, and I may be staying down there. If you live in the area I would highly recommend going to it. it is a very cheap con as well. If you have any questions I may be able to answer some of them, if I can't then the website may have the answers for you - http://animeapocalypse.org/  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:32 am
Axel-Coded
This is a new con in the Rockford Illinois area. This will be its third year. This is one of my favorite cons because of its size and because of how many people you meet there. It is from December 26-28th this year. I plan on going this year again, and I may be staying down there. If you live in the area I would highly recommend going to it. it is a very cheap con as well. If you have any questions I may be able to answer some of them, if I can't then the website may have the answers for you - http://animeapocalypse.org/

Thanks Axel for letting us know about this con. Please share some of your experiences that you have had at this con. For instance your likes and dislikes from it. Even though I personally live in Michigan I'm curious about this con. smile  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

Axel-Coded

Questionable Phantom

9,750 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:33 pm
smithers456
Axel-Coded

Thanks Axel for letting us know about this con. Please share some of your experiences that you have had at this con. For instance your likes and dislikes from it. Even though I personally live in Michigan I'm curious about this con. smile

Some of my best experiences from the con have been being able to participate in Hetalia panels, meeting people who love a lot of the same fandoms as me or who follow me on tumblr, and getting to run around the con with my friends for my birthday.

Things I like -
I love the price for it, it is a 3 day con and you can get a weekend badge at the door for $35. That is a lot cheaper than most cons.
I love how friendly everyone is. Whether you are in the same fandom or not everyone is nice and will stop and compliment cosplayers or take pictures.
I love the foam sword fighting they have, the people who run it are the nicest people ever and they love to crack jokes with you while you are battling. I was France last year and we kept making surrendering jokes XD It was great.

Things I dislike -
While I like how it is a small con because it is still new and growing, the space is getting a little too small for the amount of people who come. The artists alley and dealers room are very small and packed most of the time, but they have amazing things inside of it.
Another problem with it being a small size is the gaming room and video game room, they have plenty of games, it is just they aren't always interesting to play.
I also dislike the part of town it is in, there isn't very much around the hotel other than some business buildings and a few other hotels. It is right off of the highway too. So the con is pretty much contained to the hotel most of the time. Even the McDonalds is a little ways away so if you go you have to either bring food, have a car, or eat the free rice and ramen for the 3 days of the con.

At the moment I live in Michgan as well, but I will be home in Wisconsin for Winter break so I get to go to the con. If you ever have the chance to go you should take it. There are a lot of things you can do at the con and you'd have a lot of fun smile
If you have any random questions you can ask me them and I'll try to answer with my experiences or with my knowledge of the con.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:52 pm
Greetings Axel,

All of the info that you gave about the Anime Apocalypse con sounds good. The Jafax Con in Western Michigan is very similar. They have the same wonderful people and the dealers / artist alley rooms are about to burst. Many of my best Cosplay photos have been taken their. One of the things that has helped Jafax which is going on 20 years strong is sponsors from the community. One of the biggest is Meijer's!! smile I talked to the people at the Jafax booth when I wen to Youmacon in Downtown Detroit and found out that Jafax is moving to Downtown Grand Rapids. That means their will be room to spare. I hope that Anime Apocalypse can do the same. If they don't have sponsors for the con yet I encourage anyone going to con to seek out support. That can go a long way to keep a con going. Have fun next month when you go to it again. smile  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
Midwest Conventions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers