Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply Off-Topic
Sooo... Detroit?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Demmonic

Devoted Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:00 pm
Just looking for info on the city that is Detroit. I recently got accepted to a school, but I have never been to this city at all. So have you ever been? Do you live there? How is it? What ever you feel like sharing 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:41 pm
From what I've been told by family members as well as read online a large amount of the suburbs are alright. The city itself is broke however and has a higher amount of crime than normal large cities do though except in areas that weren't based off of production of cars.  

Isabella Kiyoshi

Versatile Lunatic

Belethiel

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:39 pm
I go to school in Detroit, too!

It's alright. Are you going to live in Midtown? There are a lot of things to do there. It looks a bit rough, but don't let that fool you. I love the museums especially. The Detroit Institute of Arts has a lot of famous artwork. Go to the Eastern Market at least once. It's the best place to get fresh food and you will see a lot of buskers and interesting merchants.

Also, Detroit has almost no chain restaurants or stores, so you're going to find a lot of small businesses.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:35 am
I'm from the metro Detroit area and frequent Detroit several times a year.

What school if I may ask?

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200

Demmonic

Devoted Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:47 am
Der Fluch des Pharao

Wayne state. I declined my offer for this spring but I still have it as an option for this fall.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:54 am
Belethiel

It's alright. Are you going to live in Midtown? There are a lot of things to do there. It looks a bit rough, but don't let that fool you. I love the museums especially. The Detroit Institute of Arts has a lot of famous artwork. Go to the Eastern Market at least once. It's the best place to get fresh food and you will see a lot of buskers and interesting merchants.

Also, Detroit has almost no chain restaurants or stores, so you're going to find a lot of small businesses.

I am actually not familiar with the area at all xD I would be attending Wayne state... I have never been to Michigan but I decided to apply since its an affordable school with (most) of the programs I like.

I have a friend who is from the area originally and they said as long as your smart and remain in the area near the school and stuff it should be fine razz My last city had a high crime rate for its population as well so.  

Demmonic

Devoted Bloodsucker

Belethiel

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:27 am
Demmonic
Belethiel

I am actually not familiar with the area at all xD I would be attending Wayne state... I have never been to Michigan but I decided to apply since its an affordable school with (most) of the programs I like.

I have a friend who is from the area originally and they said as long as your smart and remain in the area near the school and stuff it should be fine razz My last city had a high crime rate for its population as well so.

Well, it's not as bad as some people make it out to be. Busy roads are pretty safe. I can walk to the art supply store that's a couple of miles away, no problem.

I go to College for Creative studies, which is near Wayne State. There are events in this area frequently, although you missed two of them, Noel Night and Delectricity. The latter only happens every two or four years, I don't remember, and it's basically a huge art exhibit that shows pieces based on film and/or light. Noel Night is a Christmas event when all of the museums are open for free and there is a concert, horse drawn carriages and lots of other things. You could go next year.

I have no idea what happens in spring because I've only been there for one semester so far.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:37 am
Belethiel
Demmonic
Belethiel

Well, it's not as bad as some people make it out to be. Busy roads are pretty safe. I can walk to the art supply store that's a couple of miles away, no problem.

I go to College for Creative studies, which is near Wayne State. There are events in this area frequently, although you missed two of them, Noel Night and Delectricity. The latter only happens every to or four years, and it's basically a huge art exhibit that shows pieces based on film and/or light. Noel Night is a Christmas event when all of the museums are open for free and there is a concert, horse drawn carriages and lots of other things. You could go next year.

I have no idea what happens in spring because I've only been there for one semester so far.

I'll have to see. I applied for the spring but declined my admissions for family reasons. For now I have other schools I applied to but I still like their program  

Demmonic

Devoted Bloodsucker

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:49 pm
Demmonic
Der Fluch des Pharao

Wayne state. I declined my offer for this spring but I still have it as an option for this fall.

Well, simply put, Midtown's great.

Upcoming part of Detroit, lots of new development and money brought in by Wayne State. The campus itself is small-ish, but very nice! Visited a friend who lived right next to the campus a few times for drinks. All in all, a good area. I hear good things about WS as well.

Don't get hung up on the stigma associated with Detroit, it's a beautiful city in it's own way biggrin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:25 pm
Der Fluch des Pharao
Demmonic
Der Fluch des Pharao

Well, simply put, Midtown's great.

Upcoming part of Detroit, lots of new development and money brought in by Wayne State. The campus itself is small-ish, but very nice! Visited a friend who lived right next to the campus a few times for drinks. All in all, a good area. I hear good things about WS as well.

Don't get hung up on the stigma associated with Detroit, it's a beautiful city in it's own way biggrin

If you wanna talk about small campus- my last school was in Fairbanks, Alaska. Thanks for all the info though!  

Demmonic

Devoted Bloodsucker

Off-Topic

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces