Welcome to Gaia! ::

Team Snagem: A Pokemon RP

Back to Guilds

A Pokemon Roleplaying Guild offering a wide variety of features and characters. 

Tags: Gijinka, Snagem, Pokemon, Literate, Roleplay 

Reply Mission Archive
The Chronicles of the Dark One (Back Story)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SubonicXP

Captain

Devoted Sex Symbol

5,625 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:02 pm
(Reader's notes: Sub, my character, his original name is Victor. In this story he goes by Victor.)

Chapter 1: From The Tower He Came

You know the hardest part about this? To starting writing in a non-cheesy or cliché way. People always say, “Just start writing, it will come to you.” Easy for them to say. Then you got those people who treat their writings like a high score or something. Well I'm not worried about high scores, heck I'm not even worried about writing this thing. I'm only doing this because Subba asked me to. As if I would start a diary on my own. Whatever. I guess I should write about my day or life or something. Not much to write about so whoever decides to snoop around my room and read this I'm sorry for your soon-to-be disappointment. Life here at the Tin Tower is boring all around. The elder monks do nothing but boss around the younger ones all day long, dishing out chores left and right. They claimed that work occupies the mind and keeps out impure thoughts which the young mind is susceptible to. I think they are just full of it and don't know their head from their a**. That said, if one of the monks read this I simply had a lapse in judgment as my young mind is prone to and the monks as well as the Tin Tower is the most enlightening and sacred place in all of Ho-oh's glory. I am humbled by-

“Victor!” Boomed an elderly voice, a broom handle coming down with it, knocking the diary clean off the desk and onto the floor. “Why haven't you started your chores!? You can bore yourself with senseless writings later!” The monk shouted at Victor as he yank him up to his feet by his arm, shoving the broom into his chest once the kid was on his feet. “It's your turn to clean out the Hoothoot coop. After you're done you may begin your morning meditation. Then you are to head into town and pick up the tower's order from the PokeMart, got it?” The monk roared, staring down the boy. Victor could do little more than look the man over with a blank and distant stare. “You disgrace Ho-oh's roost with your sloth.” The monk huffed, immediately leaving the room after telling Victor how his day was going to.

Mumbling to himself, Victor rubbed his bald head, whenever he got angry with the monks he rubbed his head. Deep down rubbing his head was some sort of affirmation of his faith and dedication to the tower, the smooth surface of his scalp a reminder to bite his tongue and just go with it, that his faith was stronger than his negative feelings towards some of the people in this tower. With his self calmed the formerly raven haired laid set off with broom in hand, ready to begin his day of chores and worship, like like every other day.

“Good morning, Bhante Nico.” Victor bowed to his fellow monk, greeting him. “And to you as well, Bhante. Starting your chores I take?” The equally bald man asked his younger comrade. “I am. I apologize for burdening you but you would have by chance seen Subbarao this morning?” The younger of the two asked his elder. “Subbarao? Why I do believe the young man is out harvesting berries per the Elder's orders. He is entertaining Elder Li of the Sprout Tower tomorrow for Resurrection Day.” Nico explained. “I see.” He had forgotten all about Resurrection Day tomorrow. The Way of the Phoenix didn't have many holidays, in fact only one was really recognized in Ecruteak City in modern times. Resurrection Day, even in times of old, was easily the most important day of the year to the Tin Tower. It was on that day that Ho-oh was said to have last visited his roost, the day the Brass Tower burnt down and Ho-oh resurrected the three Pokemon that had died in the destruction, those three which would be known as the Three Sacred Beasts in the tower. Before that Resurrection Day was mostly about the erection of the Tin Tower and when Ho-oh chose a pure of heart trainer to speak to. It was just a really important day and the Elder took it very seriously.

“Thank you. May the phoenix protect you in this life.” Victor said in a pleasant tone and with a deep bow. “And the next for you.” With their bows exchanged the two monks went about their business elsewhere in the tower. Victor wanted to go check up on his little brother but he had wasted enough time already talking with Nico and if he didn't get that coop cleaned up soon he would be scrubbing all the floors in the tower for the next week. He certainly didn't want to do that for a third time.

The Hoothoot coop wasn't too far from the tower its self, just around back in fact. It was of relative modest size, just big enough for him to squeeze into or someone else his height but certainly none of the adults. He often wondered if they intentionally made the coop this small so that the younger monks had to clean them, the size of the coops the excuse they used. “A wandering mind wastes energy and time.” He said, rolling his eyes as he mimicked his teacher. Sometimes he couldn't stand the man even though he would probably be dead on the side of the road somewhere if it weren't for him. He could just be so annoying at times. “Hoot!” Screeched one of the owls, fluttering up to the man's head, pecking away. Victor swatted the angry bird away, not realizing he was at fault for accidentally kicking the bird. “Damn you, bird...” He grunted, rubbing his head. “I hate these things...they do nothing but molt, poop, and peck the hand that feeds them. Worthless birds...” He moaned to himself. The monks at the Tin Tower favored these creatures for their ability to see spirits. Victor himself didn't see such an ability justifying the effort put into caring for them.

“Great! Eggs!” The boy shouted as he discovered a cluster of Hoothoot eggs underneath the very angry fowl that just flew off with a chunk of his robe. Now he had to gather these eggs and take them down to the incubator. These monks valued life so much that they insisted on hatching every fertile egg produced by the Hoothoot, what they did with those that didn't make the cut to end up here he wasn't sure. “This day just keeps getting better...” He moaned, throwing his head back with a whine. “Spiderweb...” He mumbled as he looked up at the ceiling. Finding the eggs did nothing more than add an extra chore to his list. What a day this was turning out to be.

Cleaning out the coop didn't take too long, any dolt with fifteen minutes worth of free time could take care of it. More often than not Victor was the dolt that usually got stuck with the job. “Done. See you ungrateful hooters Tuesday.” He sneered at the Hoothoot. Little did he know there wouldn't even be another Tuesday for 'Victor'.

With five (oblong) grapefruit sized eggs in his arms the young monk was making his way back to the tower proper, it was in the tower's basement where they kept the incubator. “That's a good look for you, Victor.” A monk around his own age called out to his fellow man as he worked on filling up buckets of water at the nearby well. “Didn't know you could molt!” Victor initially had no idea what he was talking about. Molting? What is that suppose to mean? “Oh...haha...” Victor laughed sarcastically as he brushed off the feathers he found his shoulders. “Try not to fall into the well this time, Rahal.” Our hero shot back. Rahal only shook his head in response before going back to his task.

“Got a good few there this time, huh?” An elder monk spoke to Victor as he entered the tower's front entrance, spotting the eggs he was carrying. “Yeah, the Hoothoot are healthy to say the least.” Victor said, shooting a smile at the older man. “That they are. There is life aplenty under Ho-oh's wing.” The monk smiled as he bowed to Victor who also bowed in return, least the best he could without risking the clutch he carried. “May the phoenix protect you in this life and the next.” And with that little template of a departing phrase Victor was gone, he had some eggs to warm up.

The tower's main floor was nothing more than one big open room. The floor, the walls, and the ceiling were all made from the wood of the pagoda tree. While some people and cultures believe the pagoda tree to be a cursed tree the monks of the tower believe the complete opposite. It is their belief that while other trees do not grow near pagoda trees that it is not a sign of their cursed nature but rather one of their ability to keep things pure. What might be called demon wood elsewhere is referred to as pure wood here. Of course there were other things to look at other than the woodwork in the tower's 'lobby', if you would. There were numerous statues all carved out of wood. Most of them were various posses of their being of worship, Ho-oh. A few others were made in the image of the phoenix's ambassadors, the three beasts. While Ho-oh was the center of their faith, their god if that suits you better, the three beasts were like their saints. Worshiped, praised, but second to only Ho-oh its self. All the carvings were beautiful though, if you had to tell someone one thing about the monks here it would be how tainted they are in woodcraft.

“Got an armful for the incubator.” Victor informed the basement's guard, greeting him with a smile. For a guard the man didn't appear too intimidating but then again not many of the monks here did. The most he had going for him was his Pokemon in fact, an extremely confident Noctowl resting upon a wooden perch which came up to the man's shoulders, giving the bird its self plenty of height over anyone who stood before it. You were almost compelled to look up at the bird, its massive eyes pull you in. If you intended ill to its master you were not going to get very far. “Owl...” Moaned the Noctowl as it glared down at the boy. Man that thing could make an innocent man feel guilty, even if there was nothing to be guilty over. Victor hated it.

“Make it quick. Go forth and do no ill.” The monk replied in monotone, never taking his eyes off of whatever was so interesting behind Victor, several times did the boy glance over his shoulder to see what the guy was looking at with such intent and never saw a thing. Weirdo. After the guard had opened the door to the basement Victor graced him with a bow (which was not returned) and stepped through the door, making his way down the staircase.

It wasn't a particular long staircase, the dim lighting only made it feel longer than it was. No one wants to run down a poorly lit staircase after all so your instincts told you to go slower than you might normally. This was especially true for Victor as he carried the Hoothoot eggs, he took each step very slowly as he made his way downward towards the basement.

The basement was about as interesting as the rest of the tower, which was actually an exaggeration to say the least. This floor was used for little more than storage, as one might guess. There were sacks of dry rice piled high against the left wall and canned goods on the right. The rice was for the tower's monks while the canned goods were what they had gathered through donations, to be given out to the poor and the needy on Resurrection Day. Victor had been down here many times, each time bringing something down here to drop off just as he is doing now. Occasionally he swipes a rice cake from the tower's 'treat' cache. The monks frowned upon sweets in general, considering them to be indulgent. Outside of fruit the only 'sweet' they allowed on occasion were rice cakes. Not what a normal person would call a treat but to Victor it was something.

On the far side of the basement, directly across from the basement's entrance, was the door to the incubation room. It was a small room inside of the larger room which was the basement. The incubation room its self was simple enough; it was a small room with many wooden shelves lined with straw. The incubation room contained what Victor considered to be the tower's only piece of technology, a large heater which kept the room nice and hot so that the eggs could stay toasty.

Victor was about to open the door to the incubation room, struggling to keep the eggs balanced as he freed a couple of fingers to turn the knob, but he stopped short of turning the door's knob when he heard someone talking on the other side. Being the nosy boy he was Victor quickly ran over to the sacks of rice and gently laid the eggs down, they should be fine for the time being. With the eggs safe the young monk scurried back to the door as quietly as possible and pressed his ear against the sheet of wood which made up the door. It was faint but he could make out most of what was being said on the other side. Two men, that was easy enough to tell. One of them was Master Ku, the tower's Elder, he could recognize that voice anywhere. As for the second one he had no idea. If he had to guess he would wage that the second man was younger than the Elder and spoke with far less confidence than the former.

“Just make sure that cult doesn't get their building permits. The last thing this city needs are some heathens spreading their heresy around.” Elder Ku shouted, he was angry about something, that was obvious. It appeared that some faith which his master did not care for was trying to build a house of worship in Ecruteak City and the tower's Elder wanted it stopped. “Mister Ku, the mayor values his relationship with you as a friend and a business partner. That said your last payment was rather lacking. The Unown Society has offered our city's mayor a large campaign contribution for the upcoming election in exchange for the approval of their building permits. I'm not obligated to say how much but it was substantially more than what the tower has provided his office.” Victor could only hear this guy and knew he was smiling. People had a habit of talking in a certain tone when they were wearing a s**t eating grin and this guy was a textbook example of that tone.

“You tell the mayor that he works for the tower, not the other way around. His threats are hallow and he'll be paid whatever I decide to pay him. If he wants to make waves then I shall make a public declaration on Resurrection Day denouncing our fair mayor. I'm sure your away a large portion of voters follow the way of the tower. I speak for the phoenix and the flock wouldn't dare go against the pecking order...I'm sure you are comprehending what I'm saying.” Now Elder Ku was smiling, that tone had been lifted off the other man and was now being used by Ku.

The other man was beginning to say something about Ku needing to watch the way he talks but Victor was unable to listen for much longer, he the door to the basement open up and footsteps after. Quickly he pulled himself away from the door and did a fast walk towards the basement's exit. As he came up to Nico he turned his walking speed down to totally-not-eavesdropping and greeted the monk with a bow and heading up the stairs before Nico could get a chance to say anything. The last thing he wanted was to start talking and get caught by the Elder and his 'friend'.

“Nico, what a pleasant surprise to see you. I thought I heard someone out here.” Elder Ku greeted Nico as he exited the incubation room, wiping the sweat off his brow with his robe's sleeve. “And to you as well, Elder.” Nico said with a deep bow, staring at the strange man with his master as he rose back up. Ku was quick to notice Nico's gaze and guessed what his pupil would say next so he answered his unasked question before he could ask. “This man here is from the Ilex Forest Conservation Force. He's interested in our Hoothoot. They are debating on using a flock of specially trained Hoothoot to deal with the recent Gastly plague.” Ku was quick to make up this lie, and it was absolutely believable. Nico had no reason to doubt the man. “Pleased to meet you sir...” Nico began to speak in mid bow, staring up at the strange man from his pre-bow pose as he waited for a name. “Mister Lance Milas, but my friends call me Proton.”

By the time Nico had been spotted by Ku our young hero was already out of the tower and entering the city proper. What Nico was doing between the time Victor exited the basement and when Ku found him is anyone's guess. Victor now found himself on the city's main street. It was a wide cobblestone road which ran directly from the Tin Tower to the city's entrance. There were no modern paved roads in Ecruteak City, the citizens believed that paved roads would take away from the city's old fashioned rustic beauty. Then again the old cobblestone roads also had their own charm. Lined with native flowers, the occasional tree and street lamps the roads had a very quaint aura to them. Victor wasn't concerned about the 'ambiance' of this road, or even the road its self, his mind was occupied by other thoughts. Was his teacher, his superior, his father of all people really attempting to bribe the mayor? Hell, from what he heard he was attempting nothing, he had bribed the mayor. This was just too much for him to wrap his mind around. Monks didn't even like to handle money, let alone bribe people with it. Victor didn't even comprehend how someone like the Elder could stoop down to such a level, it went against everything he ever learned and believed.

There had to be some sort of reasonable explanation for what he had heard back in the basement, there just had to be. And yet, part of Victor knew better. Master Ku, the Elder, was just as human as the next person. Sure, the other members of the tower's 'sangha' believed the Elder of the tower to be the reincarnation of the Pure One, the first mortal to be graced by Ho-oh its self and the founder of the Tin Tower. Victor has always had his own doubts. For starters, if the Elder was the 'Pure One” reincarnated then why doesn't Ho-oh appear anymore? The tower suppose to be its roost, the Elder of the tower its caretaker, so what gives? Victor didn't think too much about the holes in his faith but right now his mind was swirling with them, as if his eavesdropping made something click inside his head, sending him on-

“Hey! Watch where you're walking, Victor!” A plump woman shouted at Victor as the young monk bounced off of her protruding belly. “Mrs. Mishima! I'm so sorry, I was lost in thought and didn't see you.” Victor almost shouted as he bowed so deep that he almost toppled over. The much larger woman (in both height and weight) just glared down at the boy monk, her nose literally turned up at him. “Well next time pay more attention. There is more to life than just bird watching.” Mrs. Mishima sneered before almost pushing Victor to the side so that she may continue waddling down the road. If it wasn't for husband being the director of the dance theater no one in town would take her crap. How could such a nice man be married to such a horrible woman? Will the injustice never end? “Might need to call MooMoo Farms, one of their Miltank got out...” Victor mumbled to himself as he watched Mrs. Mishima walk off.

Bumping into that tub of lard was a blessing in disguise it would seem as Victor was now more aware of his surroundings, having been bumped back to reality. Perfect timing in fact as the PokeMart was just around the corner from here, he could even see the giant revolving sign towering over the roof of the dance theater from here. He had ran out of the tower to get some fresh air and clear his mind after that episode in the basement, in fact he completely forgot about needing to go by the PokeMart until just now. Mrs. Mishima's belly must have some sort of mind rejuvenating abilities. He'll have to bump into her again before he takes his next literature test. Man he hates those things. Why on Earth the Elder insists the monks can memorize the Pure One's memoirs (or his alleged memoirs) was beyond him.

“Vicky! I was wondering when I would see ya! Come on in!” Mr. Suzuki was a very kind man in his late forties, Victor had always enjoyed visiting the local PokeMart because he got to see Mr. Suzuki. As local gossip goes Mr. Suzuki opened Ecruteak's first PokeMart when he was in his twenties, having taken out a loan against his own farm to open up a PokeMart franchise in Ecruteak. Before then people had to go all the way to Goldenrod or Olivine to do any shopping, a grave injustice to Mr. Suzuki. People always accused him of only being in it for the money, and Victor had to admit that Mr. Suzuki was a die hard capitalist but he did believe he used his wealth for good. Speaking of you would be surprised as to how wealthy the PokeMart has made Mr. Suzuki, that and his clever investments in Ecruteak City. This one was going places, Victor knew it. “Hey Suz!” Victor cheered. Mr. Suzuki was one of the few adults Victor was relaxed to be around, in fact it was Mr. Suzuki who insisted Victor call him by his old boyhood name. Victor always wondered what Suz's first name was but never pried. Word on the street was that Mr. Suzuki had something against his first name.

“What are ya here for today? Same ole, same ole?” Suz asked Victor as he leaned over his sparkling clean counter so he could get a good look at the young monk. “Actually I believe you have a package for the tower.” Victor beamed with a smile. Good ole Suz was a rather forgetful man you see, it was amazing he made himself into such a successful man with such a lousy memory. “That's right! How could I forget? I must have stared at a Stantler too long last night!” Suz laughed, he would say that line at least once a day after forgetting something, it was almost his catch phrase. The merchant quickly left disappeared underneath his counter, the sound of items being moved around after his departure. Soon the man named Suz reappeared with a sealed up cardboard box, gently setting it on the counter and sliding it over towards Victor.

Victor would reach a suspicious hand out towards the package, stroking the smooth top surface ever so gently. “Something wrong?” Suz asked, a single eyebrow raised as he watched the boy perform the curious gesture. The shop keeper's words snapped the young monk back to reality, his eyes growing wide as he looked up at the man, like a...well, like a Stantler caught in the headlights. Such metaphors involving said Pokemon were popular in Ecruteak City, you see. “Wrong? No, nothing wrong. It's just...you don't happen know what's in the box, do you?” Victor asked, eyes filled with a strange mix of hope and curiosity. The good removed mister Suzuki's look of worry and replaced it with a big grin. “Of course! Mushrooms, big ones. Tochukaso in fact. Ever heard of 'em? They are the ones that grow on the back of Paras.” He explained to Victor. Unfortunately the answer only made more questions than it answered. “Why? I mean, do people purchase them for any particular reason? Do you have a lot of people order them?” At this point Suz was getting suspicious, something was obviously bothering the young lad and he was certain it wasn't the mushrooms. Either way he decided to entertain Victor's questions for the time being.

“Not many people can afford them. They are considered to be a culinary delicacy, you see. Very expensive, especially the larger ones like these. Takes a lot of time and raising to get them this big. Even the smaller ones take a good long time before they are ripe to eat. You guys must have a very generous donor for someone to send these.” Suz said. ”Yeah, right, donated.” The monk thought to himself, after what he heard in the basement and with the meal the Ku was preparing for Li of the Sprout Tower he had plenty of reason to be suspicious. The Elder using the tower's donations to pay for a lavish feast for Li was not out of the question when you had bribery to compare theft to. Why he would go to such extents to impress the Sprout Tower elder he had no idea.

“Interesting.” Victor mumbled as he picked up the package, giving it a slight shake to hear the contents rattle. They did not. “Make sure your chef or whoever cooks your food serves those things by tomorrow. Those particular shrooms try up fast. Once they do they are pretty deadly.” The man explained. “Deadly? How so?” Victor asked, a puzzled look on his face as he looked up from the box. “The mushrooms are where Paras get their spore based moves from. Poisonpowder, Stun Spore, Sleep Powder...all come from the mushrooms. Eating them raw is dangerous enough, cooking them destroys the hazardous spores, but once dried up they become very brittle and the slightest touch can cause them to break up and become airborne. Just one whiff can poison you or whatever.” Mister Suzuki explained to the young lad. “Huh...that actually interesting.” Victor said with a big, almost mischievous smile. Suz didn't pay the hidden devious behind that smile, or rather chose not to even notice it.

“Hey, what's that?” Victor blurted out as he point at something behind Suz, directly over his shoulder. Amazing how quickly the young mind can lose focus on one subject and jump to another. “This?” The clerk asked as he turned around and grabbed a green orb off of the shelf behind him. The round object was largely two shades of green. The lighter green were composed in large solid circles which took up most of the ball on the top, bottom, and sides. The dark green filled in the space that wasn't taken up by the lighter circles. There was also an orange band that ran around the ball's equator and a button of the same color at the dead center of one side of the ball. It was obviously some type of Pokeball but the exact kind was one which Victor had never seen before. “It's a Dusk Ball, one of Silph Co.'s latest model of Pokeball.” Suz smiled as he handed the ball for Victor to look at, the monk setting the box back down on the counter so he could take the device into his hands.

The ball was smooth in the boy's hands, just like any other Pokeball. The only thing that set it apart from a normal one, as far as Victor can tell, is its coloring. “It's more sufficient than a regular Pokeball, that is makes it easier to catch a Pokemon, or rather harder for them to escape. Under certain conditions that is.” The man explained. Victor was now really interested. “What conditions? Like, does it work better on grass type Pokemon or something?” That was a pretty solid assumption considering the coloring of the ball but the young monk would soon find out that it was wrong.

“No, nothing like that. I'm not sure on the technical aspects, something about negative energy or something...but the ball is better at capturing Pokemon in dark areas. Like at night, or in a cave, or wherever there is a lack of light. Hence the name Dusk Ball.” That made a lot of sense and Victor now felt stupid for even mentioning the grass thing. “You want it?” Suz asked, now he was the one smiling. “I don't have any money, sorry.” The boy frowned as he held the contraption out for mister Suzuki to take. “That's not what I meant. I want you to have it, as a gift. You have always been a very kind boy and you have done a lot to help me around the shop the past few years. Think of it as a gift from one friend to another. Just don't like your master see it.”

Victor was filled with joy as Suz told him he could keep the Dusk Ball but the man then made a very good point, he would indeed have to hide it. You see, the monks at the tower had a whole ritual when it came for one of the tower's pupils to catch their first Pokemon. There was no specific age they had to be, the time came whenever the Elder felt they were ready. Until then owning a Pokemon or having a Pokeball (which indicated intent to capture a Pokemon) was forbidden. They even decided what Pokemon you were going to catch. Victor always hated this custom especially he himself was fifteen and legally could have caught his first Pokemon five years ago. Even then when his time came he would probably get stuck with a Hoothoot, which was the norm. If he was lucky he could get an Eevee but a Hoothoot was more likely. Oh how did he hate those birds. He would sooner never catch a Pokemon in his life to avoid being stuck with a Hoothoot. With this Dusk Ball though...

“Don't worry, I will!” Victor cheered as he stuffed the ball into his robe, dropping it into the pocket on the inside. “Thank you so much mister Suzuki, I will figure out a way to repay you one day!” The boy was grinning from ear to ear now, if his smile was any larger his head just might split in two. Suz wanted to say 'don't worry, seeing you happy is payment enough', and it wouldn't be a lie but he knew if Victor really wanted to pay him back then he would, and he would enjoy doing it. He was a good kid. “Alright, no rush though. Just put that thing to good use, you hear? Maybe if you catch something with it you can come show me. Give you something nice to give it depending on what you catch. Maybe a scarf or something.” Said with a wink, Victor replied with a nod.

“Well...I should be going.” The monk mumbled as he eyed the box on the counter, slowly pulling it back into his arms. He hated leaving the PokeMart, every time he came here he wished he didn't have to leave. “See you next week?” Victor asked, the hopeful joy returning to his face as he did. “Of course, where else would I be?” Suz laughed, as if the possibility of him being anywhere but here was really a joke, a big one at that. “True. See you next week then! And thanks for the Dusk Ball, I'll be sure to put it to good use. Bye!” And with that the young monk was gone. He would end up having to break his word to mister Suzuki. He wouldn't see him next week, not even next month. It was a good long time before Victor and mister Suzuki saw each other again and one would not have been able to recognize the other by then.

Now back on the city's main road, Victor began his return trip to the tower, a box of mushrooms in his arms, a shiny new Dusk Ball under his robe, and a smile on his face. Visiting mister Suzuki always cheered him up and made him forget about the trials of the tower and today the tribulations from the basement. Nothing would bring Victor down from now until he got back to the tower, the shine was shining, the Pidgey were chirping, at this moment Victor's world was at peace.

“Hey! It's Proton, my man!” A man shouted. Whenever you heard a voice speak up at random in a quiet environment your first reaction is to see where said voice was coming from, even if you knew good and well the person speaking wasn't talking to you directly. Victor was now several yards away from the Pokemart and just across the road from the dance theater where a man dressed in rather gaudy clothing was shouting at another man dressed in a nice suit. Mister gaudy was wearing a jacket made of what appeared to be some gold metallic fabric. His pants, parachute pants he believed they were called, were also made up of the same metallic fabric but silver. When the light hit mister gaudy just right it reflected off his outfit and made it impossible to look directly at him. It was a good thing mister suit, or Proton as he was being called, was wearing sunglasses else wise he would be blind by now.

“Did I tell you to calm down on the outfit?” Mister suit, Proton, scolded the man in a harsh tone. Victor knew ease dropping was not polite and against the tower's teachings but he couldn't help it. Mister gaudy's obnoxious voice and strange taste in clothing snagged his attention, but it was the voice of mister suit, Proton, that hooked him. That man was the owner of the voice from the basement, Victor was sure of it. This was the guy bribing, or being bribed by, the Elder. Now he seemed to be meeting up with a new 'client' at the dance theater. Victor watched as the two men had a few more words outside of the theater before walking inside together. The young monk wanted nothing more than to follow them inside, stick his nose where it didn't belong, but he had to get back to the tower with these mushrooms.

Wait a minute, where are the mushrooms? “Pidg...” Chirped three small birds as they pecked away at the box Victor had dropped at some point during his snooping episode. He didn't even feel the package slipping through his hands. Now here was the box, on the ground, partially ripped open by three ravenous Pidgey hell bent on getting the goods inside. “Go on! Get!” Victor shouted at the birds as he threw his hands around, scaring them off into the sky. The box was largely intact it seemed, just a small hole in the corner. Victor gave the box a shake after picking it up and confirmed that most of the mushrooms were still inside, just three smaller ones fell out of the hole and now sat on the ground, only one partially chewed on. He picked up the three loose mushrooms and put them in his robe pocket along with the Dusk Ball, it was more of a pouch than a pocket so there was plenty of room.

“Crap! It's noon!” Victor would shout to himself as the tower's bell chimed in the distance to signify the hour. Other than the sacred Clear Bell the tower also had an of-lesser-value-and-importance brass bell they used to announce the hour through out the town. The last time he heard the bell ring was right before he made it to the Pokemart and here it is ringing again. He was going to get scolded when he finally got back, he just knew it. The younger monks were expected to be in the mess hall at exactly noon for prayer and then their meal. Anyone who was late would be punished, usually by having to clean all the dishes afterwards. Could anything else go wrong for poor young Victor?

The young monk arrived back at the tower approximately fifteen minutes after twelve. Lunch had already began by the time he made it to the mess hall. It was now twenty minutes after, as the boy had to drop off the mushrooms in the kitchen where he was scolded for the three missing, and by the time he managed to sit down at the elongated table half of the others were already starting to get up and leave. “Where have you been, Vic?” An even younger monk asked as Victor sat down next to him. Subbarao was his name, or Subba as Victor liked to call him.

Subbarao was three years Victor's junior, placing him at the transitional age of twelve years. The people of Ecruteak considered Subbarao to be 'exotic' due to his naturally tanned skin and his far off origins. No one is sure where Subbarao came from, just that his parents fled from their homeland when he was five years of age and just one made it as far as Olivine City. His father was the one that brought him to Johto, and it was his father that passed away from some sort of heart disease he suffered his entire life, the extreme physical burden of the journey having taken him to his grave. As for his mother no one was sure, just from what they could gather she passed on in an accident before they made it to Johto.

So imagine it, a young boy, far from his native home, his parents even further. A couple of sailors wanted to take him out on the seas with them, teach him their ways, but a certain religious man put a quick stop to that. Elder Ku had just arrived in Olivine several days after Subbarao with an entourage of fellow monks, the group having spent the past three nights on the Seafoam Islands in ritualistic prayer. The tower followers had met Subbarao on the docks, the sailors having put him up to begging for them. Even eight year old Victor got angry when he heard his new friend was being exploited for personal gain. So the monks took the necessary legal requirements to take in the boy and brought him to the Ho-oh's roost. It was here the two young boys would meet and form an unbreakable friendship, one envied and look down upon by their fellow worshipers.

In some ways Victor and Subbarao were a lot of like. Both of them had lost their parents, however in different ways. Victor never knew his mother, she left him and his father before he could remember. His father allegedly tried to take care of Victor the best he could, lived right here in Ecruteak City. His father got arrested for stealing when he was only four years old, what he stole he wasn't sure. All he ever heard was his father was locked up and with no other relatives for him to go to the police gave him away to the Tin Tower, which acted as an orphanage too, if you hadn't made that connection yet. Couple years back he heard his father got out of jail and left town. No one had heard from him since, not that he cared. Man didn't even send him letters from jail for all those years so why would Victor expect him to care now?

The boys formed a quick friendship, finding their own little family in each other. Creating such deep bonds was difficult in the Tin Tower, which taught you to be disconnected from things like emotions and tried to make you see the world through a monochrome lens. But that didn't stop Vic and Subba. These two did everything together. They ate together, prayed together, studied together, and of course, played together. They even shared a bedroom together where they stayed up most nights playing 'Who's that Pokemon?' where they would try to describe a Pokemon as vaguely as possible in hopes of stumping the other. Just the other day they were scolded for sneaking into town and 'wasting' the day away by watching people challenge the local gym. They would sneak a peak through the gym's windows and watch the battles take place inside.

That was one thing the two boys were in love with, Pokemon battles. The tower didn't condone Pokemon battling, in fact it strictly forbade casual battles. That didn't stop these two though, they had big plans to challenge Morty one day and take his badge all the way to the Indigo Plateau. And they were serious about it too. All they had to do was catch a Pokemon first, that was the hard part while living here.

“Had to pick up a package from the Pokemart, guess I got distracted on the way back though.” Victor laughed, giving Subba a little nudge against the arm as he picked up the cup of MooMoo Milk in front of him and chugged it down in one go. “I got something to show you later, you'll love it.” Victor teased, fighting back a burp. He knew he was already going to get in trouble for showing up late so he didn't want to add poor table manners onto his list of reasons-to-punish-Victor. “Victor!” And here it comes, in the form of that old brown noser, second in command of the Tin Tower, pain in the butt Doyu. This was going to be a long day.

“I know you were only trying to get punished too to help me but don't you think you took it too far?” Victor asked Subba as they finished hauling into the kitchen the last of the dirty, Doyu the brown noser having finally left them in peace to go harass someone else. “I learned from the best!” Subba cheered, flashing Victor his own version of his older 'brother's' trademark grin. “Hey, I only burped in his face one time two months ago. What you did was gnarly. Chugged down both Ikki and Kobe's milk and then letting rip a burp which even Hibiki heard, and he didn't even have his hearing aids in!” Victor was trying to hold back a laugh as he detailed the events that brought Subba back here with him, and failed as a chuckle escaped his lips. “Just wait until tonight.” Subba replied, giving Victor a look which said everything. “You sicko, don't you dare! I will kick your a** if you stink up the room!” The elder boy shouted as his younger brother broke out into hysterical laughter. “Oh come on you nasty boy, let's get this done.” Victor said as he set a stack of dishes in the sink filled with soapy water and immediately went about scrubbing them clean, handing the cleaned dishes to Subba so that he could rinse them off and then dry them.

“So what did you want to show me?” The younger of the duo asked the other. Victor had almost forgotten about the thing he had tucked away in his robe until Subba had said something. “Yeah, thanks for reminding me.” Victor said as he put the dish he was getting ready to hand Subba back into the water. After drying his hands on his robe he slipped his hands underneath and pulled out the small round ball hidden inside. He felt something else brush up against his hand as he reached into the robe's inner pouch but paid it no mind for now. “Ta-da!” Victor declared as he almost shoved the device into Subba's face, the ball almost making contact with the tip of his nose. “Is that a Pokeball?” Subba asked in disbelief as he reached out to grab the ball, Victor allowing him to take it. “Sure is, a Dusk Ball to be exact.” Victor answered as he watched Subba examine it, a look of awe washing over his face. “What's a Dusk Ball?” Subba asked as his mind found its way back to the land of the living, the Dusk Ball having temporarily taken it within its confines.

“Mister Suzuki says it's a type of Pokeball that works better in dark places, like at night and stuff. He tried to explain how it worked but didn't do too well. All I care about is the fact that it can catch a Pokemon.” Victor replied. The very idea of catching a Pokemon brought the awe inspired look back to Subba's face as the ball snatched his mind back into its insides, the boy mesmerized by the small green orb in his hands. “I'll be taking that back.” Victor sneered as he plucked the ball out of Subba's hands. “Don't want you losing it like you lost our apricorn we were working on.” The older boy said as he put the device back underneath his robe. “You still won't let that go, will you? Whatever, what do you plan on catching with it? Maybe we can go look around that burned down tower and catch a Gastly. That way we have something Morty's Pokemon are weak to!” Subba said, almost shouting from excitement. “Genius, our Gastly would be weak against his Pokemon as well.” Victor reminded him. “I say we just sit on it for awhile...not literally though. Let's just wait until we see something that catches our eye, so long as it's not a damn Hoothoot!” Both Victor and Subba had a good laugh at that, catching one of those birds was the furthest thing from their mind. They both rather catch a Magikarp with an Everstone embedded in its stomach before they caught a Hoothoot. Worthless birds.

After lunch the two had to spend an hour praying before the Rainbow Shrine. This particular form of prayer was exhausting as it required those praying to stand in front of the shrine for a minimum of one hour with their hands resting on the glass case which housed the tower's sacred Rainbow Wing, a very brightly colored feather said to have come from Ho-oh its self. By the time the two finished their hour of prayer their legs felt like gelatin. It was a good thing there wasn't a clock in the shrine room, it would take all the will power in the world to keep them from staring at it the whole time and making their prayer feel longer than what it was.

“I never want to do that again.” Subba complained as they finally made it back to their room. The first thing he did was throw himself on the bottom bunk bed, that's usually where Victor slept but right now he did not care. The elder brother didn't seem to mind this however, he was too tired himself as he sat down on the edge of the bottom bunk. “Well just be glad it's over. Next time just let me take my punishment alone and perhaps it wouldn't be so bad.” Victor wished that Subba wouldn't always put himself out there for him but he knew the young boy was just trying to help out. He always assumed that's what little brothers did so he wasn't able to stay made at him for long. “Yeah, yeah.” Subba mumbled to himself, rolling his eyes in the process as he turned over in the bed, his back now facing his older brother.

“Hey Vic?” Subba said. “Do you think we will ever leave the tower?” This was not a new question for the boy to be asking, Victor had answered this same question many times before and each time tried to provide a different, but still encouraging, answer. He didn't want the boy to feel like he was just being brushed off with an easy reused response. “Well with this Dusk Ball I would say our odds of leaving are much better than before. Once we get one Pokemon we can earn some money through battles and buy more Pokeballs and use them to catch more Pokemon. Maybe enter some tournaments too. And of course we'll wipe the floor with Morty!” Victor laughed, they didn't hate the local gym leader, they just used him as a goal to work towards, a summit to ascend. “That would be awesome. Think I can get a Pokemon too?” Subba asked. This question shocked Victor, the whole time he spoke of using the Dusk Ball to catch a Pokemon Victor had always said it would be their Pokemon. “What do you mean? Whatever Pokemon we catch will be shared between us.” Victor reassured him. Subba turned back over to face the other boy and smiled. “Nah, whatever goes inside that ball is yours. Between the two of use you deserve it more.” What a kind boy was Subba. “Shut your mouth and take a nap while we can.” Victor said as he threw a pillow at Subba before he himself climbed up to the top bunk.

After they woke up from their nap the two got stuck with waxing the bronze statues of Ho-oh flanking the outside of the tower's front door. Once they were done with that it was time for dinner and this time they arrived for the meal onto and got away without doing more dishes. The 'Gold Brothers', as they liked to call themselves which was a reference to their Tin Tower home, then went back up to their bedroom to crash. It would be an early day tomorrow as it was Resurrection Day and the tower was expecting Li of the Sprout Tower to partake in the celebratory feast. Victor and Subba wouldn't be part of the feast as they would be too busy in town. Victor's job this year, like the last, was to bless the citizens and give them ash markings, that was where the monks took blessed ashes and smeared them under the eyes to symbolize Ho-oh's own eye markings. Subba's was more simple and fun, he was to pass out paper kites and desserts to the young children, then at night he would pass out paper lanterns to be lit and released into the sky. The younger monks were so lucky, they got the fun jobs.

Every year both Victor and Subba liked to watch the towns people partake in the Resurrection Day Pokemon tournament, hosted by the Ecruteak Gym. The Elder didn't like his young members watching such 'barbaric acts' but he didn't stop them from enjoying themselves on this one day, but he did make his discontent well known. “It would be awesome if we could participate in the tournament this year.” Subba said as he began to get his Resurrection Day robes on. The monks all had a special robe on this day, all of them the same. The robe depicted the story of the Brass Tower's burning and how Ho-oh descended from the sky and resurrected from the ashes the Three Sacred Beasts. Victor had already got his holiday garments on and was now waiting for his younger brother to hurry up so they could get downstairs and prepare to go into town. “You know we can't, even if we had a Pokemon. Maybe one day but not this year. Now hurry up and get dressed. You know how bad punishment is this time of year.” Victor reminded him.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:05 pm
Once Subba had finally got his robes on the two made their way down to the lowest floor of the tower. “Sub, you jerk! I'm going to kill you!” A very angry monk shouted at Subba as the Gold Brothers came down a set of stairs. This monk's name was Dosho. He was a fourteen year old boy whose parents sent him to the tower in lieu of a standard education, which was not uncommon as most boys here actually had families that lived in town. These boys would return home over the summer, weekends, and certain holidays. Dosho in particular was a favorite here at the tower but Victor had no idea why. In front of the elder monks he appeared to be the perfect young man, serious in his worship. Around his peers however he was a grade A Tauros's behind. “Hey, back off Do-do.” Victor said with a scale as he put a hand up to keep away the approaching Dosho. “Stay out of it Vicky! That little punk put Oddish leaves in the robes I'm suppose to wear today and now they stink! I'll never get that smell out in time.” Dosho fumed. While the idea of doing such a thing was hilarious to Victor he had to pretend to be serious for the time being.

“How do you know Subba did it?” Victor asked, fighting back a smile trying to surface. “How? Tomo and Momo saw him walking out of my room yesterday. That and who else would play such a trick on me? Sub has gone too far this time! I'm sick of his pranks!” Victor could tell that Dosho was really made about this but it was just too funny. Not only was what Subba allegedly did funny but Dosho was rather short and pudgy for his age and had a very round head. When he got angry, which was often, his entire head would get so read that it made him look like a giant Cheri Berry about to burst. “What are you going to do? Go tattle to the elders? Go ahead and do it if you want, I'll tell them how you been buying junk food from the Pokemart and sneaking it into your room! I'm sure mister Suzuki will back that story up.” Subba smiled from behind Victor, despite his solid blackmail in this particular situation, Subba always talked big when he was being backed up by his 'big brother'.

“This isn't over Sub, remember that!” Dosho hissed, fuming as he gave Subba a very suggestive gesture and stomped off, Subba using them same gesture in response as the other boy walked off. “Really?” Was all Victor said as he looked down at Subba out of the corner of his eye. “What?” Subba said in his best 'what did I do?' voice possible. “Nothing, let's just get into town before you cause more trouble. I swear, if it weren't for me half of the other guys in this place would have thrown you in a well by now or something.” Victor groaned as he grabbed a hold of Subba's hand and began to march down the stairs with him in tow.

The two boys arrived on the main floor minutes later, having a kneeling seat on the floor with the rest of the assembled lower monks of the tower, or what they called here, 'seiza-style'. The seating was arranged according to age with the youngest in the far back and the eldest, those who weren't elders of the Elder. They were all lined up in rows facing the Three Feathers (three elders who were only below the Elder) and the Elder himself, or as he was sometimes called the Keeper of the Tower. These four were allowed to sit on chairs while the rest remained on the floor. Meetings happened often in this fashion, it was how all members of the tower came together to be briefed on the comings and goings of the tower. Today the elders were informing them of their duties today even though every last one of them already knew the tasks they were assigned. Simple formality Victor supposed. He was listening to the Elder, the Keeper of the Tower, go on about suggesting to the townspeople to join the tower for prayer every Saturday (that was their day of rest and worship). Victor didn't care for pushing his beliefs on others so he wasn't too concerned about what the Elder was saying right now.

Once the seminar, so to speak, was over the monks filed out of the tower one by one, the youngest first. Subba would meet Victor outside by the doorway, the pair greeting each other with a smile. “You heading to the fairgrounds first or making rounds around town?” Subba asked Victor. The fairgrounds were right in front of the Burnt Tower, that's where most people gathered for the festivities but Victor was an Ash Priest today and his job was focused on the whole time. The Ash Priests were expected to make rounds around town and arrive at the fairgrounds at dusk for a ceremonial dance involving their remaining ash. Some priests however made round on the fairgrounds first before heading out. “I think I'll get a head start on my city rounds so I can make it back before it gets dark. You go have fun, I'll see you later.” Victor said with a smile as he roughly rubbed his hand on top of Subba's bald head, the closest thing to a hair ruffle.

“Okay but be careful.” Subba replied. It was an odd thing to say since outside of the fairgrounds Ecruteak City was rather quiet. Sure a lot of people used this day to drink and party (drinking was customary in fact) but they mostly concentrated on the fairgrounds. Victor should have been the one saying that to Subba, not the other way around. “I'll be fine, I doubt I get many catches. I'll probably spend the next few hours wandering around bored out of my mind while you have all the fun.” The older Golden Brother said with an exaggerated sigh. “Now get on out of here, go to the fairgrounds. I'll see you before or around dusk, promise.” Victor reassured him. Subba was obviously troubled by something but what exactly was a mystery. Whatever it was didn't seem to stop the young boy who just nodded in acceptance to his older brother and joined the rest of the lads heading out for the fairgrounds, Subba only turning around once to wave to his brother before disappeared.

Once Subba was out of sight Victor began to file out of the tower with the rest of the monks. As the men (and boys) of the tower exited they were stopped by Elder Ku who was holding an ornate gold vase filled with was considered to be Ho-oh's sacred ash, though in fact it was nothing more than regular ash blessed by the monks. As each monk passed by the Elder they were given ash marks under their eyes, not unlike the black markings Ho-oh has around its eyes. As they passed those who were given the title of 'Ash Priest' today were given smaller, less intricate, vases also filled with ash to be used on the townsfolk. When it was time for Victor to get his markings and vase the Elder spoke to him in a low voice as he dragged his thumb under Victor's eyes. “You keep yourself and Subbarao out of trouble.” Was all he said, not once making eye contact with Victor, simply handing him his vase and seeing him off with a uniform bow. Elder Ku was always particular hard on the two, Victor often thought it was because they were so close. Sure, Subba did cause a lot of trouble but wasn't Victor always there to clean things up and set things straight? And shouldn't the Elder be glad that someone like Victor is looking out for his junior?

Victor just ignored Ku's comment for the time being and bowed in return, taking his vase and heading off into town. He had decided in advance his first stop of the day, the dance theater so he could see his friend Haruko. It had been a long time since he last saw her and he had been wanting to catch up with her for awhile now. So with that thought fresh in his mind the young monk set off south-eastward towards the Kimono Dance Theater.

It was about a fifteen minute walk from the Tin Tower to the Kimono Dance Theater so by the time he got there the place was largely deserted as people got wind that the Resurrection Day Festival was starting. The outside of the building was like most buildings in Ecruteak City, that is it had a very old fashioned Johtonese architecture, they all looked like buildings straight out of a history book. And this was on purpose. The dance theater however was particularly eye grabbing with its tiered blue roof, its wooden door frame with woman dancing about with various forms of Eevee evolutions, the round stained glass windows of many different colors, and at night it had a string of paper lanterns light all around it, each one stylized to resemble one of the five Eevee evolutions they used in their performance. The outside was a sight to behold.

As you walked in you were greeted by a girl dressed in a kimono but was not one of the kimono girls. The one who did the greeting and seating was always the same as far as Victor could remember, none other than his good friend Haruko Eon. She was actually related to the five Kimono Girls, their youngest sister. However she was not allowed to perform with them due to her age, fifteen. The rule was you had to be at least sixteen to perform so Haruko was getting excited about finally being able to dance with her sisters. There was just one problem that had to be solved before then.

“Vicky!” Haruko shouted with excitement as Victor entered the building, running around from behind her podium and embracing Victor in a neck hug. “It's be forever! I thought they had sent you off to the Whirl Islands by now!” She joked, letting go of Victor but still leaving her hands on his shoulders. “What have you been up to? It's been easily a month or tow since we last seen each other.” Haruko was a quit the looker, even compared to her beautiful sisters. Like all her sisters she had black hair, dark brown eyes, and very pale skin. Her frame was very slim and her height average for her age. What made her particularly dazzling and set her apart from her sisters was in her personality. While her sisters were solemn, stern, and matter-of-fact, Haruko was warm, welcoming, and a friend to all. Her beauty came from within and glowed outward, warming all those around her. She was just a pleasure to be around.

“The tower has kept me busy, that's all. I know that's not a very exciting answer but that's the only correct one.” He said with a laugh. “Besides, I also have to keep Subba out of trouble. You know how he can get.” This was true, Haruko had been with them for several of Subba's 'episodes', as you might call them. One time the trio were on Route 37 harvesting apricorns and Subba thought it would be funny if he knocked a Pineco out of a nearby tree with one of the apricorns. Little did Subbarao know there was a Beedrill in that tree and when the Pineco self-destructed the angry Beedrill survived and went after the first living creature(s) it saw, them. Haruko ended up having to fight it off with her Eevee which suffered from poisoning as it got scrapped along its right side by the bug's abdominal stinger. Later on he explained himself thinking that if the Pineco exploded it would knock all the apricorns out of the tree and make their job easier.

Haruko was remember that exact 'episode' once Victor mentioned Subba, her Eevee was still growing fur back. “I would ask if he's been behaving himself but I guess I know the answer now.” Haruko smiled. “So, what are you doing here? This place looks rather dead today. I'm assuming everyone is at the fairgrounds.” Victor commented as he glanced around at the almost deserted building, there was an older lady scurrying around doing some cleaning while the place was empty. “My sisters insist I stay until dusk to let people know there are no shows today. I suggested we put a sign on the door and they thought that would be tacky. Instead I'm suppose to inform them that they will be putting on a shown tonight at the fairgrounds.” The girl rolled her eyes at that idea. Sometimes her sisters were just too 'classy' for her to deal with.

“And your parents?” Victor asked, assuming Haruko knew what his incomplete question was asking. She did. “Mom is in the back with Mrs. Mishima going over plans for tonight's performance. My dad is on his way back from Goldenrod City. He's trying to work out a movie deal with a producer in Unova.” Haruko said with a proud smile on her face. “Movie deal? As in a movie involving the Kimono Sisters? And all the way in Unova too?” Victor was completely floored such an idea. Everyone knew that Unova was home to the movie industry, the one and only Pokestart Studios. Everyone everywhere knew of Pokestar Studios.

“It's not with Pokestar Studios or anything.” Well that just burst Victor's bubble. “But he is talking to an indie producer who wants to shoot a movie and pitch it to Pokestar Studios. So there is a chance the Kimono Sisters make it to the big screen.” Victor was too dazzled by the idea of knowing someone who is a big time movie star to realize that Haruko was not as happy about this as he was, regardless of how she was trying to present herself. The girl was actually feeling left out of the whole thing as her father himself said if a movie was made on their dancing she would not be apart of it even if shooting began after her birthday. The reasoning was she would still be inexperienced and had years of practice to do before she would be ready.

There was a long silence after this and at first Victor was unsure why. Soon enough it clicked to him that Haruko was upset over this movie deal, for some reason. It didn't matter to him right now why she was upset exactly so he decided to change the subject all the same. “Want to meet up at the fairgrounds at dusk? Maybe in front of the fireworks stand?” Victor said with a hopeful smile. Haruko simply nodded her agreement, it was as good of a place than any to meet. Before she could say much else the door on the far back wall of the room opened up and two women walked out. One was the massive Mrs. Mishima, the other was what could also be described as Haruko, just older. Mrs. Eon. “Victor! Don't you have someone else to harass?” Mrs. Mishima sneered as she approached them first, the tall and wide woman looking down at the young monk. “Vicky! So nice to see you. I was wondering why you haven't visited Haruko lately. Find a new girlfriend?” Mrs. Eon said with a wink.

“Stop it mom!” Haruko moaned, her face going from egg white, to peach, and then to tomato. This didn't bother Victor though, he had gotten used to all the gossip that he and Haruko were an item. The truth of the matter was they were just friends, good friends. At times he wondered if she thought or wished them to be closer but he didn't. He liked the way things were and wished they didn't have to change. But deep down he knew they would, they would have to. He had no reason to believe this but he did. “Care for a drink or a snack, Vicky?” Mrs. Eon asked the young boy politely. “We just got a bunch of delicious cakes from a bakery in Goldenrod. The lady who opened it is said to have come from Kalos.” Mrs. Mishima scoffed at Mrs. Eon making it a point to say the baker was from Kalos, as if the very name of that region bothered her.

“I must politely decline, ma'am. I have to make my rounds, Resurrection Day you know. Speaking of, care for an ash marking?” Both Mrs. Eon and Haruko would decline the marking and prayer but Mrs. Keeping-Up-With-The-Joneses was more than happy to accept. You see, Mrs. Mishima insisted that the only culture that mattered in the world is Old Johtonese. Mrs. Mishima's family's roots could be traced far back, as everyone in town was forced to know, to an age when the region which would become Ecruteak City was governed by a man named Norimura who was said to have built a great castle here long ago. Most people think Mrs. Mishima is just full of herself and is just using a rumor started by her great granddad to get attention. Either way she took such pride in a past culture that she wasn't even a part of, to the point that everything else was garbage. And don't even dare telling her that Johto culture is just part of the greater Tohjo culture, which includes Kantonese.

Either way, Victor was happy to mark the woman, and give her a prayer. The sooner he was finished the sooner he could be off. Once finished he reminded Haruko that he would see her later tonight, wished the three women well, and set off. The young monk didn't have a specific destination in mind, in all actuality his goal until dusk was to just wander around town and hope someone stopped him and asked to be marked. Last year he only got two hits, Mrs. Mishima and the late Mr. Sato who was bedridden for the last three years of his life. He hoped this year would be more eventful for him. Last year he had ran into Mrs. Mishima just before dusk and she insisted he gave her the full ash marking ceremony which took the greater part of an hour. He was lucky that she forgot about it this year and just accepted the short version. By the time he got to the fairgrounds last year the fireworks had already started and he even missed out on Subba's antics which got Subba dismissed from the festivities for the rest of the night. The two ended up just hanging out by the pond for the rest of the night, fishing for Magikarp. Victor scored the biggest one that night.

It was another boring Resurrection Day for Victor. He had walked around Ecruteak City for the entire day, only marking three people which was more than last year but still didn't justify the ten hours he spent out here. He did see Haruko when he passed by the gym, she and her mother were on their way to the fairgrounds. That was approximately two hours and now Victor himself was heading back in that direction. It was roughly half an hour past five by the time the young monk headed back. On his way back he ran into many all ready intoxicated. Before he could each reach the actual fairgrounds he had to weave through groups of people, the festival this year having attracted a much larger crowed than the last. He could now see the multitude of colored lights in the distance, wasn't much further.

Victor now found himself walking down the middle of two rows of booths. There was a plethora of games, food stands, and little trinket shops. As he maneuvered his way around a gaggle of squawking pre-teen girls he caught glimpse of a familiar mask shop. It was not uncommon for people to wear masks during Resurrection Night, mainly those of the three legendary beasts as part of custom but some people just wore different Pokemon masks unrelated to the day. The mask stand was familiar to him as it was where he took the fall for a gold plated Ho-oh mask which Subba had stolen. It was on display for the festival but not for sale. Subba thought it would be funny to 'borrow' it and hang it on top of a flag pole. Victor tried to stop him but the younger one wouldn't listen. Just before Subba was caught with the mask by the shop owner, mister Masuku who had immediately called the Elder over. When he arrived Subba was ready for the scolding he would get as he intended to confess to the whole thing but before he could Victor had spoke up and took the blame. Subba got away scot-free while Victor had to meditate on his actions for three days straight with nothing but one glass of water a day. Subba still feels bad about that but Victor tries his hardest not to show any contempt, least he upset his little brother.

“Vicky!” Haruko shouted from somewhere in the crowd. It took a bit of twisting and turning but Victor was eventually able to spot the girl, standing by the fireworks stand just as promised. It appeared that Subba was with her as well, flicking a lit sparkler in the air, making the specs of light it spewed out danced. There was a third person with them and at first Victor couldn't make them out. Once he got close enough he noticed who it was the eldest of their little group, Nico. Only older than Victor by a few months mind you. As Victor walked up to the trio he had a lit sparkler shoved into his own hand by Subba. “Here! No more work for you!” Subba giggled. Victor didn't really want to play with a sparkler but he took it from Subba either way, letting it burn away as he held it downward at his side but not close enough to ignite his robes.

“Surprised to see you goofing around on all days, Nico.” Victor said with a smirk as he addressed his barely-elder. “Even the most dedicated of the faith needs a day of rest.” Nico replied with a smile. He had always been one of the most faithful of the teen monks. Most of the time he was very serious and stoic but every now and then fun Nico would come out and he was a blast. “I hope you plan on enjoying yourself today and don't spend it casually praying like you did on your birthday. That does not make for a day of rest.” Victor replied, his smirk never leaving his face. Nico just rolled his eyes and ignored the other boy's comment.

“Leave Nico alone, Victor. I want to go see the firework show. Maybe we can get a good view from that big hill on route thirty-eight. Also gets us out of the crowds.” Haruko spoke up, cutting short Nico and Victor's bickering. The three boys considered this idea for just a few minutes before all coming to an agreement to head on over to route thirty-eight. You could see all over Ecruteak City from Roll Out Hill so it was the perfect place to watch the fireworks. Plus they wouldn't have to worry about the wild Miltank bowling them over as it was rare to see Miltank active at night, Tauros as well.

“Aren't we going to light any of our own fireworks?” Subba whined, pouting as he awaited an answer to his question. Victor couldn't help but roll his eyes and let out an annoyed sigh. “Yes, we are. Here.” He then handed Subba a couple of Pokedollars to spend on fireworks, pleasing the young boy greatly as he snatched up the money and turned towards the fireworks vendor immediately. “Where did you get that?” Nico asked Victor, inquiring on where he got that money he just gave Subba. You see, monks of the tower weren't allowed to use money either unless it was for a noble cause or sustain life. “Don't worry about it, I'm not hurting anyone, am I?” Victor asked Nico as he shot him a look which said, 'just let it go for once'. And Nico did, this time.

Subba had spent the entire two hundred Pokedollars Victor had given him. It didn't buy much, just a bunch of bottle rockets and some more sparklers but the vendor was nice enough to give Subba a six pack of colored smoke balls for free. Subba couldn't wait to blow some stuff up. “At least wait until we get to the hill before lighting any of them.” Nico spoke up as the foursome fought their way through the crowds, attempting to escape the festival and make it to route thirty-eight. “You can't tell me what to do.” Subba huffed as he gave Nico the 'eye'. Nico fought back a snarl of his own. “Wait until we get to the hill before lighting them.” Victor spoke up, reiterating Nico's comment. “Okay!” Subba agreed with a cheer. And that's exactly how things worked in their group. Subba didn't do a thing Nico said, and would only entertain Haruko some times, but if Victor said something you can bet your last dollar that Subba would obey that command.

They would eventually make it out of the crowds and pass through the Ecruteak City checkpoint easily enough. Ordinarily you couldn't pass through a checkpoint without a Pokemon Trainer registration card, Haruko was the only one with one, but they knew the checkpoint guard and he routinely let the three monks pass through so long as Haruko was with them. The logic was if they encountered a wild Pokemon she could protect them with her own Pokemon. Though that never happened, they were very cautious when they were outside the city.

“Kind of creepy being out here at night.” Haruko commented as they walked along route thirty-eight, the path starting to slope upwards as it became what was known to the locals as Roll Out Hill. “You scared or something? Scaredy Meowth! Meow!” Subba laughed, earning a smack on the back of the head by Victor. “Shut up.” Victor shouted. Subba didn't say anything else, just robbed the back of his head and moaned in pain. “I'm not scared, I just meant it looked different. It's weird not seeing all the Miltank rolling down the hill. Don't you think so?” She asked the others as they climbed the hill. And she was right, it was peculiar. Here on Roll Out Hill, during the day the wild Miltank would happily roll down the hill, the young and old practicing their trademark Rollout attacks. The Tauros which made up the herd leaders and fathers would stand watch at the bottom and the top of the hill, reading tot charge at anything they deemed threatening. The bovine Pokemon didn't really bother passing trainers so long as you didn't get too close or get in their way so you could watch them roll along in peace and safety, which they often did.

“Mreow!” Hissed a creature in the tall grass. Nico was just telling Subba to stay on the path but he didn't listen and decided to jump around in the tall grass on the side of the path. Apparently he didn't see the Meowth prowling around and stepped on its tail, causing the feline Pokemon to jump up and hiss at him before running away. This obviously startled Subba who jumped himself and shouted in fright, quickly running out of the grass and back onto the path. “Who's the scaredy Meowth now?” Haruko giggled. Subba did not find it funny.

“This should be a good spot.” Victor said as he stopped a White Apricorn tree growing on the hill. They often sat around this tree during the day so it was kind of their spot. Haruko agreed that this would work as she sat the backpack down that she had been carrying, pulling a blanket out of it and spreading it on the grass. “Ever notice how it never rains on Resurrection Day? It's said that Ho-oh made a deal with Lugia who makes sure it never storms on this most holiest of days.” Nico commented as he sat on the blanket and began to stare up at the night sky. “Blah, blah! Come on, enough religious stuff, let's blow some stuff up!” Subba declared as he put his bag of fireworks down and took out a handful of bottle rockets. “Can I have the lighter?” He asked Victor with a devious smile. “Don't you mean to say, 'may I'?” Victor asked, giving off a smile of his own. Subba just rolled his eyes and snatched the lighter out of Victor's hand.

Haruko and Nico both sat on the blanket as they watched Subba shook off from bottle rockets into the night sky, occasionally taking their eyes off him to see the much bigger fireworks go off above Ecruteak City. Haruko's Eevee, Yuri, was running around the sparking bottle rockets as Subba lit them, this always freaked Haruko out but Yuri seemed to be having fun and not once did she get hurt. As for Victor he was standing a ways away from the group, looking off into the distance away from Ecruteak City. He was facing south-west and could faintly see the rhythmic flicker of the Olivine Lighthouse from here. It was very faint but he could make it out. Though he was watching the light in the distance do its little disappearing and reappearing act he was not focused on it. His mind was elsewhere.

“Victor, got a moment?” Nico asked as he walked up to Victor from behind. The young man turned around to face his fellow monk and also took a quick look behind Nico. He could see that Haruko was now chasing Subba around with a lit sparkler in her hand, threatening to touch him with it. Subba was screaming like a little girl, on purpose, as Yuri also chased him. They seemed to be having fun. “Sure, what is it?” Victor asked, he was glad to talk to Nico, it would get his mind off those other matters. “It's about Elder Ku, and what was going on the basement.” At least he thought it would get his mind off of it, guess not.

“You heard something too?” Victor asked, he didn't tell Nico about what he had heard but figured that when Nico caught him he knew that Victor had been eavesdropping. “Yes, and it plagues me. I heard the Elder talking to some man, who I was introduced to. His name was Lance Milas, or Proton as he implied to be his preferred nickname.” Nico explained. “Yeah, I heard him talking to that guy too. Didn't know his name however. What's wrong though? What did you hear?” Victor was very interested now, if something was bothering mister cool-calm-and-collected then it must have been bad. “Well, I've dreaded bringing this up to you and mulled over how to tell you, the right way, but no matter what I thought of I feel as if there is only one way to tell you and that's just by coming out with it plain and simple...” Nico then took a deep breath, held it, and spoke once more. “It's Subbarao. This mister Milas, Proton, spoke about wanting to adopt him. He spoke of it to the Elder in front of me.” Nico explained.

This bit of news came to Victor as a huge shock. Ever since he had been at the tower no one, absolutely no one, had been adopted. He has heard of several monks who were brought into the tower as young children and left as full fledged, and parentless, monks. Hell, he never seen anyone come to the tower to look over the children since he had been here. And now, this Proton man, this shady man who is obviously the mayor's lackey, comes along and after speaking of bribes wants to adopt and take away his one and only friend? His brother? This can't be happening, this won't happen.

“Why didn't you tell me earlier!?” Victor shouted as he lashed out and shoved Nico. Nico stumbled backwards, startled less by the sudden outburst and more startled by the idea that Subba or Haruko could have been alerted. They were not as they were still absorbed in their game of chase. “Because, we still have plenty of time to figure this out. Tower protocol dictates no business can be conducted before, the day of, or the day after Resurrection Day. Plus it would take another week before the adoption can go through. I felt like I had plenty of time to find the right opportunity to tell you without alerting Subbarao, or anyone else.” Nico said, explaining himself to Victor. He hated to admit it to himself but that actually made good sense. Damn Nico and being logical.

“Fine, fair enough. Now what?” Victor asked, the red color fading from his face as he began to calm down. “What did you overhear in the basement? I know you were listening through the door.” Nico asked, Victor knew this would come out. “The Elder was bribing the mayor to prevent another faith from making a house of worship in the city and that Proton guy seemed to be there to collect the bribe. That's about it.” The young man explained to his barely-elder. Nico contempulated this bit of information for awhile before speaking again. “So this Proton man is not exactly one of high moral fiber.” Nico pointed out, Victor gave him his best 'no duh' look. “Very well, then we'll do whatever it takes to keep Subbarao from being adopted by him. In the best case scenario we can convince Proton that Subbarao would make for a poor son, that should be easy to pull off. But in the worst case...well, I think you already thought of that plan, haven't you?” Nico asked, staring Victor right in the eyes.

Nico was right, from the moment he was given this information Victor had begun to devise a worst case scenario which involved him taking Subba and running away. Nico knew Victor well enough to know that this was the first thing he would have thought of, before anything else. Not that he blamed him, admittedly. “Shelf that idea for now, we need to exhaust all other resources first. If we can't convince Proton that he doesn't want Subbarao, when he comes to meet him, then we'll have to show the Elder that Proton isn't fit to be a parent. Though if the Elder is giving bribes to Proton for the mayor that me be impossible. We'll probably have to go beneath Elder Ku and go to the other elders. He needs their approval before he can okay the adoption and certainly one of them will protest. They all can't be corrupted, can they?” Nico said, asking the question as if he really expected an answer. He did not.

“Let me tell Subba, please.” Victor asked as he turned away from Nico and looked back at the distance horizon, watching the light from the far off lighthouse appear and disappear in rhythm. “Of course, I wouldn't dare tell him myself.” Nico agreed, placing a hand on Victor's shoulder. “Just know I will do whatever I can to help you and Subbarao, I promise.” This meant a lot to Victor coming from Nico as helping him meant Nico had to go against the rules of the tower and therefor his faith. Victor would literally be asking Nico to break his vows if Nico hadn't already offered him his help. “Thank you.” Victor said without turning around, simply patting the hand on his own shoulder.

“Victor! Come quick!” Haruko shouted, startling both Nico and Victor into action as they rushed towards the sound of Haruko's voice. “Where are you!?” Victor shouted as the two raced down the hill. “Over here! In the trees!” Subba now called out from a grove of trees which grew on the side of the hill and as you went down the hill became a thicker forest of trees on the flat ground. Nico and Victor were able to track the pair down much easier now that they knew where they were going, the pair rushing into the trees and soon approaching Haruko, Subba, and Yuri all sitting on the ground around something black which twitched every now and then.

Nico and Victor stood over the trio on the ground and tried to get a good look at what they were sitting around. It seemed to be some sort of creature, black as night except for its yellow beak. Some kind of Pokemon they would guess and it appeared to be hurt as it was barely moving yet was obviously still alive. “What is it? What happened to it?” Victor asked as he knelled down watched the Pokemon. “Subba accidentally launched a bottle rocket into the trees and next thing we know we hear a screech and see a bird bigger than this one fly away. Yuri this ran over here and found this little bird on the ground.” Haruko explained to the other two.

“Looks like a Murkrow. Strange seeing one out here, they tend to flock around large cities to scavenge for scraps and shiny objects. Furthermore this one looks kind of small, a young one perhaps? Maybe it was the mother Murkrow you saw fly away.” Nico commented as he looked down at it. “I didn't mean to hurt it!” Subbarao shouted, the boy on the verge of tears at this point, he loved Pokemon and would never intentionally hurt one. “Calm down, Subba, we'll just take it to a Pokemon Center and get it looked at.” Victor reassured him as he reached out to pick up the Murkrow.

Before Victor could get anywhere near the bird it lashed out and began to flap around clumsily, trying to escape and peck at Victor at the same time and yet failed to do both of those things. “Its wing is injured as far as I can tell. Too bad we don't have a Pokeball to capture and transport it in, would be much easier what with the state its in.” Nico commented. As soon as he mentioned a Pokeball Victor and Subba gave each other a look which spoke an entire conversation between the two. In that single glance they came an agreement and nodded at one another, Victor reaching into his robe's inner pocket and producing a Dusk Ball from within it.

“Where did you get that? This time I want answers.” Nico demanded as he eyed the Dusk Ball in Victor's hand. “What kind of Pokeball is that?” Haruko asked as she tried her best to keep Yuri from snapping at the Murkrow as it flapped around. “I'll answer your questions later, for now we need to get this thing to a Pokemon Center before it hurts its self anymore.” And without another word Victor pushed the Eevee away and reached out with the Dusk Ball in hand, button facing toward. He planned on pressing the button against the Pokemon and drawing it into the ball instead of just throwing the device at the Pokemon, he didn't want to hurt it even more. With one quick motion he thrust the ball forward and connected the button with the Murkrow's beak, the Dusk Ball opening up as it converted the Pokemon into some sort of smokey purple energy which was then absorbed into the innards of the ball. The Dusk Ball sealed shut and began to shake violently in Victor's hand. The boy had to hold onto the ball with both hands to keep from losing control of it, staring down at the button the whole time as he watched it blinked.

The ball shook for the better part of ten seconds, four humans and one Pokemon watching it in suspense. After ten seconds passed the ball would stop shaking and the Dusk Ball's button would give off a solid red glow for three seconds before fading back to its original color and making a clicking sound. Gotcha! Murkrow was caught!

“It worked.” Victor said in almost disbelief as he stared down at the ball in his hands, still on his knees. “I guess we should take it to the Pokemon Center now...” He said as brushed some dirty off the ball. “You do know you can't do that.” Nico said, Victor turning his gaze away from the ball to look at him. “Wait, why not? They heal any Pokemon for free, don't they?” He asked, almost unsure of his plan now. “Well yes, they do...if you are a Pokemon Trainer, which you aren't.” Nico pointed out. “Yeah but they wouldn't turn away an injured Pokemon just because of protocol.” Victor insisted. “Oh they wouldn't turn the Pokemon away but they would certainly keep it and then call the police on you. They would notice that there isn't a trainer ID registered to the Pokeball and assume you poached that poor innocent Pokemon.” Crap, Nico made a very good point. If the police were called then the tower would find out about this and it would jeopardize their entire plan to keep Subba away from Proton.

“Fine, I'll just take care of it myself. We got plenty of berries to feed it at the tower and I have plenty of experience taking care of bird Pokemon thanks to caring for the Hoothoot. All I need is for certain people to keep it between us...” Victor said as he gave his friends a glance over. They all just nodded in reply. “Good.” Victor mumbled as he then turned his stare back down at the Dusk Ball in his hands, still in disbelief that he now has his very first Pokemon. While he did swear he wouldn't catch a bird Pokemon as his first Pokemon he was still happy. At least it wasn't a Hoothoot.

“Vic! Watch out!” Subbarao shouted as he shoved Victor over and threw himself onto the other side. Victor had little time to react to what was going on before he saw a Tauros charge through and smash into a tree, head first. Victor wasn't the only one who was in the beast's path, Haruko, Yuri, and Nico were as well. It was just by chance that they didn't get ran over. If Subba didn't push him Victor would have been the only one to get ran over but how could Subba have known that? Why didn't Subba tell them all to watch out instead of just him? Odd.

“Tauros and Miltank sleep in the woods, we must be in its territory.” Nico commented as the group began to step away from the dazed bull. “It seems intent on a battle, Yuri!” Haruko shouted, her Eevee replied with a bark as it stood at her feet. “You can't beat that thing!” Subba insisted as he hid behind Victor who was now on his feet. “Maybe not but maybe I can buy you guys some time to run.” Haruko said as he the Tauros prepared to charge again. “Yuri, Sand Attack and try to avoid its charge!” The girl cried out as the bull charged at Yuri head first. The tiny little Eevee obeyed accordingly and began to kick up a cloud of dust at the charging bull. The Tauros's charge would become erratic as sand got in its eyes and Yuri managed to avoid its horns yet was kicked to the side by on its legs. The tiny Pokemon wasn't too hurt it seemed, just startled as it got back up to its feet.

“Subba, you got one of those smoke balls on you? Light it up and give it to me. Nico, go get the bottle rockets and run as fast as you can. Haruko, keep trying to draw its attention to buy us time.” The others did exactly as Victor asked them. Yuri began to dance around as the bull charged, yet to get hit again but was successful at keeping its attention and increasing its anger. In the mean time Nico was gone and Subba was getting a smoke ball lit and ready. “Here!” The young boy said as he shoved the Pokeball sized smoke ball into Victor's hands as it began to smoke up. “You two get away, I'll keep it here. If you see Nico tell him to hurry up, got it?” The two didn't argue with Victor, they just listened. Haruko recalled Yuri to her ball and grabbed Subba by the hand, running off with him. The Tauros got ready to charge again, at the fleeing kids, but its path was block as Victor threw the smoke ball in that direction, a cloud of blue smoke quickly blocking its view of its target.

“Taur!” Roared the beast as it angrily turned its attention to Victor, the only intruder left. “That's right, I did that. Come on you, bring it!” He shouted. The Tauros gave little warning this time as it charged towards Victor. The boy had planned for this and positioned himself under a tree branch which he jumped up and grabbed onto, pulling himself up as he hugged onto the branch with his arms and legs. As the bull crashed into the tree the entire limb shook and Victor was almost sure it would break but alas it didn't. “Victor!” Nico shouted from behind the cloud of blue smoke which was starting to fade away. “Over here!” Victor shouted as the bull was attempting to regain its whits after colliding with a tree a second time.

“Light the bottle rockets and throw them over here!” Victor ordered. At first he didn't think Nico heard him as nothing was coming from the cloud of smoke and the Tauros was getting ready to ram the tree again. But then, all at once, a bunch of bottle rockets started to go off, shooting across the ground and sky erratically in all directions. The sudden chaos of explosions startled the dazed bull and caused it to panic and flee, wanting nothing of whatever was going on. It seems Nico had twisted a bunch of fuses together and lit them all at once for better effect, nice.

“You okay?” Nico asked as he walked through the disappearing smoke and watched the Tauros disappear deeper into the grove. “Yeah, thanks.” Victor said as he let go of the branch and fell onto his feet. “Haruko and Subba alright?” He asked Nico. “Yeah, I saw them run by on the way back. I told them to head back to town and meet us back at the fireworks stand.” He explained. “Good. Let's get out of here. I think we had enough excitement for one night.” Victor said with a laugh. “Oh! Almost forgot!” He said as he bent down and picked up the Dusk Ball containing the Murkrow, he had dropped it all the commotion and was amazed it didn't get stomped on. “Now we can go.”

They had all gotten back to Ecruteak City safe and sound, rejoining the festivities. Haruko and Nico had gone off to do their own things, Haruko wanting to see her sisters perform and Nico wanting to pay tribute to the Burnt Tower with the other monks. Victor however had his fill of excitement and wanted to go back to the tower and relax, that and try to get the Murkrow taken care of. Subba just went wherever Victor went like usual, especially now with what had all gone on.

They would make it back to the tower and Victor would send Subba to the Hoothoot coop to go sneak some straw out to make a nest for their new Pokemon. Victor would make a little nest underneath the bottom bunk on the floor and hide it by letting the blankets of the bottom bunk hang down which they usually did but now they would make more of an effort to have them do so to conceal the nest underneath. Subba had also brought a bag of Oran Berries with him as instructed which was an easy task as almost everyone was out celebrating. This gave them plenty of time to situate the Murkrow without fear of being caught.

And that's how they would spend the rest of their Resurrection Night, not partying and having fun but trying to take care of a young and very angry bird. They got it to eat and curl up in the nest they made for it but it didn't seem too keen on letting them get close. When it squawked too loud they told it to stay quiet or else they would have to put it back in its ball, and Victor was almost sure it understood but that couldn't be right. As midnight rolled around the rest of the monks started to make it back, Victor could hear their footsteps.

Subba was now fast asleep on the top bunk, having passed out while talking to Victor about his plans for training the young Murkrow once it was healthy again. This left Victor awake by himself, only the Murkrow under his bed to keep him company. At first he planned on just laying there until sleep came or didn't. When it seemed like it never would he remembered the book of poetry Nico had gotten him for his birthday last year. He had to keep it hidden as the tower didn't celebrate birthdays. Victor pulled the book out from underneath his mattress and began to read it for the first time. Maybe there was a poem in here that would lull him, and hopefully the bird underneath his bed, to sleep. “Huh, there is a poem about a Murkrow in here, go figure.” He said with an amused tone in his voice, the Murkrow replying with a much more calm chirp from underneath.

“Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and wear...” Victor would read the poem aloud to himself and the bird and before he could finish it he and the young bird fell asleep. In his twilight state between awake and asleep he kept repeating the last word he got to in the poem, the very same word that a certain bird would repeat through out it. Quoth the raven...nevermore, nevermore, nevermore.

SubonicXP

Captain

Devoted Sex Symbol

5,625 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500

SubonicXP

Captain

Devoted Sex Symbol

5,625 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:05 pm
The next day was like any other day at the tower. They both got up, performed their morning chores, went down to the mess hall for breakfast and then said their prayers shortly afterwards. During their morning-afternoon free time the Golden Brothers would hang out in their room and play with the Murkrow. It was in a much better mood today than it had been last night and it was eating like a Snorlax. It still wouldn't let them touch it but it was taking the berries from their hands so that was a start. Subba was a little upset that things weren't moving as fast as he hoped with the Pokemon but Victor explained to him that it takes time and patience to be a good trainer and that calmed Subba down. He did want to be a good trainer after all.

While they had the bird out from under the bottom bunk bed someone would come knocking on their door, some one gently rapping, rapping at their bedroom door. “Who is it?” Victor called out as he and Subba positioned themselves to sit in front of and conceal the bird behind them. “It's Nico. May I come in?” Hearing Nico's voice and not someone's reassured them both. Victor nodded at Subba who got up and opened the door, literally pulling Nico in and shutting the door behind him as quick as possible. “What's up?” Victor asked Nico as he turned his back to the monk and tossed the Murkrow an Oran Berry. The bird plucked it right out of the air and was already starting to rip it to shreds.

“I have more...information.” Nico told Victor as he glanced at Subba for bit a second and yet the young boy knew something wasn't right with that glance. “I see. Subba, why don't you go get more berries?” He asked the young boy. Now he was very curious. “No, he needs to know. Especially now.” Nico said. Victor knew he would have to tell Subba, just didn't realize it would have to be so soon. “I need to know what? It's something about me, isn't it?” Subba said in a voice that made both Nico and Victor think that he had expected something was going on for some time now, but that wasn't possible, was it? “Yes, it is. Let me tell him Nico and you can tell us what you came to.” Victor said as he got up off the floor and now sat on the bed with Subba who had already sat on the bottom bunk bed.

“There is a man, a bad man, who has come to the tower in hopes of adopting you. His name is Proton, at least that's his nickname. His real name is Lance Milas and he works for the mayor, does his dirty work for him, so to speak.” Victor explained to Subba. He had expected Subba to be terrified of this news and while he did seem shocked but didn't appear to be as shocked as he thought he would be. Maybe it was just taking him awhile to register this information, that was understandable as well. “Well I don't want to be adopted.” Subba said in a way that made you expect him to follow it with, 'and that's that' but he didn't. “Doesn't matter, Subbarao, the elders have the final say regardless of what the child thinks.” Nico admitted with a heavy sigh.

“Well let's not get ahead of ourselves. Stay calm Subba.” Victor said as he patted his brother on the back who replied to this with a smile. “Now, what did you come here to tell us, Nico? Something good?” He said, a hopeful look on his face. Nico destroyed that hope with just one shake of his head. “I'm afraid not. I'll be punished on my own resurrection day but I took this from Elder Ku's office. As you know I clean his office daily so it was not a hard task to snoop...Ho-oh forgive me.” Nico said with a tone of disgust for himself as he handed Victor a manila folder containing several papers that appeared to be some sort of confidential contract. Victor only gave them a quick glance over looking for certain keywords, figuring that Nico could fill him in on the details. He wouldn't need the details, he had seen enough.

“He's not here to adopt Subba...he's here to buy him.” Victor said as the opened folder trembled in his hands, anger starting to rear its head in his voice. Subba didn't say anything himself, he just looked at his brother with concern, concern for Victor rather than himself. “That greedy b*****d is trying to profit off of the orphans now! Bribing the mayor to keep competition away is one thing but now he is selling children to scum like that!?” Victor shouted as he threw the folder, scattering the papers into the air. Nico was quick to collect them and put them back into their folder, he had to return the folder after all. “He won't get away with this, I won't let him.” Victor said, his voice trembling as he stared at the wall on the other side of the room. All eyes were on him now, even the Murkrow who didn't dare make a single chirp least it bring the angry man's wrap upon it. “What will you do?” Nico asked, he had an idea of what he would do but thought he should ask anyways.

“I'm going to take Subba far away from here. Those papers are dated three days from now which is plenty of time for us to get far away from here. Guess the Elder no longer follows protocol huh, Nico?” Victor said with a hint of animosity in his voice. Nico didn't blame him one bit. “But where will you two go? They'll find you if you stay in Johto.” Nico pointed out. “Then we'll leave Johto. We'll go to Olivine City and stowaway on one of the ships if we have to. I won't let him sell my little brother like he was an item. He has crossed the line this time.” Subba was still not saying anything, just keeping his gaze on his brother. He was being surprisingly calm about all this and didn't show much concern for himself at this moment.

There was a long silence in the room after this, one which Nico would break. “I'll help you. When you leave I'll feed them false information on where you went, that should buy you some time.” He said, which was actually a pretty good idea. If they go west Nico could say they went east. Maybe they'll even write a letter addressed to Nico saying they are going to Goldenrod City or some place and he could give them that. Would take them days to search Goldenrod before they would get the hint that they aren't there. It's perfect. “Thank you Nico, you've been a big help.” Victor said with a smile, Nico replied with one of his own.

“What do we do until then?” Subba asked, finally speaking up. “Nothing, we act as if nothing is wrong. We'll spend the rest of today and tomorrow gathering supplies. Food, clothes, stuff like that. We'll need it for the trip. Plus it gives this little girl some time to rest, she'll be coming with us. She might prove useful later on.” Victor said as he pointed at the Murkrow. The bird replied with a chirp that made them all think that she didn't have a problem with this idea and if she did she didn't show it later on.

“I'll bring you two some food tonight, I have kitchen duty.” Nico offered, Victor nodded in reply. “Good. Subba here has laundry duty so he can gather up some blankets. I'll get us a rope ladder ready so we can go through the window during the middle of the night.” Victor said, their plan coming together. “What about the Hoothoot? Won't they be alerted?” Nico pointed out, Victor just smiled at this challenge. “You forget, I take care of those birds. I'll just accidentally lock them in their coop that night so they won't be free to roam the tower's yard. How clumsy of me.” Victor laughed and Subba echoed that laugh with one of his own.

“Go put that folder back Nico, we'll see you later tonight after dinner. Subba, go start the laundry. As for me I'll go get some wood and rope from the supply shed and start working on the ladder. It's a good thing I'm off chore duty for today.” Victor said as he took Dusk Ball out and recalled the bird, much to her dismay. “We'll all meet up back here after dinner, right?” He said, the two other boys nodding in agreement. “Alright, go.” And with that they both left the room, leaving Victor alone with his thoughts. He wanted to get Subba as far away as possible from this place but deep down he also wanted revenge against the man that has ruined their lives in the name of greed.

Dinner was simple that night, like all other dinners. It was a meal of rice and boiled Oddish leaves with some candied berries for dessert. Subba had made Dosho mad again, this time by putting a lit firecracker under his chair right before he sat down, scaring him half to death and getting him in trouble with one of the elders for shouting. Dosho ended up losing his dessert and had to help clean dishes. If he didn't want to pay Subba back before he did now. Boy did he have enough of his antics, one day he would get him back for all the times he tormented him.

As promised after dinner the three boys would meet up at Victor and Subba's room, Nico bringing a backpack filled with canned goods and water bottles with him. He thought there was enough food in there, if rationed, to last them two weeks. Unfortunately the water wouldn't last as long but they could get more easier than they could get food.

Subba had brought two blankets and two outfits consisting of jeans and white t-shirts. Even though the monks preferred robes they did keep casual attire for the more laboring tasks around the tower, those which having a flowing robe might be dangerous to do. The outfit meant for Victor was his size and would fit him perfectly but the one for Subba was a little too big as they didn't have anything that small, he would just have to make do.

“How goes the ladder?” Nico asked as he sat on the ground. “Good, I'm almost halfway done.” Victor commented as he was working on the ladder when they arrived, the pieces of wood and rope sprawled out through the room. The Murkrow was on the ground near Victor as she chewed away at a piece of wood Victor deemed not good enough for his ladder so he gave it to her to do whatever with. The bird seemed to appreciate it.

“So you're serious, huh? About leaving I mean.” Nico said, as if he still had doubts. Victor tried his hardest not to be too harsh towards Nico but found it impossible to stop himself from shooting him a 'Mean Look' if you would, and speaking to him in a rather harsh and short tone. “Of course.” Was all he said as he looked up from his work, soon returning to it. “I can't blame you. Things just keep getting worse here at the tower. Elder Ku has become very strict here lately and is increasingly concerned with how the tower looks to the outside world. That's not what this place is suppose to be about...” Nico sighed, he loved the tower more than anyone but he didn't like the way the Elder was leading it.

Subba wasn't saying much of anything again, he was just sitting on the top bunk looking down at the two boys, fiddling with the zipper to the backpack Nico had brought them. He was obviously nervous, and rightfully so. They were planning to leave everything they've ever known before for the harsh unknown. It was a scary thing to think about. And yet, as long as Victor was with him he felt he would be okay. Victor was what kept hope alive for him.

“I got a bad feeling...” Subba finally spoke. His words startled both Nico and Victor, even the Murkrow stopped chewing on its piece of wood to look up at Subba. “What do you mean? A bad feeling about what? Leaving?” Victor asked as he put the rope ladder down. “No...not that. It's just....I don't know. Sorry, I'm just saying random stuff. Guess I'm nervous.” Subba said with a laugh as he laid down on the bed, disappearing from their point of view. Nico and Victor shared a brief glance with each other, the stare speaking volumes of concern for Subba. Something wasn't right, then again right now nothing was. The world was wrong in this moment.

Their last day at the tomorrow started like any other day. They got up and did their chores; Victor cleaned out the Hoothoot coop and Subba was tending to the berry orchard, harvesting berries. Victor's chore was taking longer than usual as it appeared a fight went on last night between two of the Hoothoot and they completely trashed the place. He was sure one of them was dead and was ready to bury it when it started moving again. It was wounded pretty bad so he had to restrain it and then take it to one of the elders and get permission to take it to the Pokemon Center to get it checked out. What a pain.

Subba's morning chore wasn't as eventful, it was just him along with Tomo and Momo picking berries. He was particularly hungry this morning and didn't want to wait for breakfast so he popped several Oran Berries into his mouth as he did. The slow twins, as he liked to call them, had a giggle fit over Subba stuffing his cheeks with them like a Rattata. Subba was going to miss those two, they could be fun when Dosho wasn't around to boss them.

“Well if it isn't the submarine sandwich!” Dosho cackled, arriving right on cue. Subba chewed up the berries in his mouth and swallowed them down right away, wanting his mouth empty so he could go off on Dosho properly. “Hey there mister shoe, I mean, Dosho.” Subba scoffed, the twins laughed at this joke, was funnier than Dosho's reused joke. “Shut up!” He shouted at the twins who quickly obeyed as they put their hands over their mouths. “You think you're so funny, don't you? Where is your mother? Think you can talk tough when he's not around?” Dosho sneered as he got up in Subba's face. The smaller boy did not back down however.

“I am funny, I have a great sense of humor. Unfortunately it's lost on idiots like you.” He replied, shoving Dosho away. This did not sit well with the older boy whose face was now as red as a Magikarp. He stomped back up to Subba, planning to push him again, but before he could a feminine voice screamed out from somewhere in the orchard. “Help!” It cried, the four boys forgetting what was going on to rush to the aid of whoever was crying out.

The four boys would find a little girl, no more than eight, standing in front of a Sitrus Berry tree. She was looking up at something in the tree and at first Subba couldn't tell what it was that she was looking at. “What's wrong?” Subba asked the little girl. “Some boy took my Hoppip and now it's stuck in that tree!” She cried, pointing up at the pink speck among the leaves of the tree. Subba didn't realize it at this point, and probably never did, but Dosho was gone. He did run in this direction with them but must have branch off into a different direction. Maybe he got lost in the orchard, oh well.

“Can you get her down for me mister?” The little girl pleaded, tears welling up in her eyes. Subba looked up at the tree for a little while longer, then at the girl, and sighed. “Yeah, just wait right here.” He told her with a smile, patting her on the head as he prepared to climb the tree. “Catch me if I fall you two.” He told the slow trainers who nodded with smiles on their faces. “Yep!” The both replied, in almost perfect unison. Weirdos.

Subba was pretty good at climbing trees, did it all the time. He was up in the branches in seconds, trying to climb up higher so he could reach the Hoppip. It was up there pretty good. As he climbed up he felt something brush up against his leg through his robe. Must be a branch or something. For now he ignored it and kept climbing, he was getting closer to the Hoppip and wanted to stay focused.

As he climbed the wind blew through the tree branches and the Hoppip became dislodged from the branches which held it and was floated up higher into the tree. “Great.” Subba mumbled as he reached out for another branch for support, stumbling as his foot slipped on a branch. As he regained his foot he felt something brush up against his leg again. He was trying to ignore it as he looked for a better branch to grab on but when he felt it a third time he looked back to see what kept touching him and he wished he hadn't.

Much to Subba's horror he saw a Weedle, on clinging to his robe. It must have been in the tree and grabbed on as he climbed up. Subba had a fear of Weedle and its evolutions you see, ever since he had a close encounter with a Beedrill in an apricorn tree. That was his fault and he admitted it but he wasn't doing anything wrong this time and just wanted that worm gone. “Sh-shoo!” Subba stuttered as he flicked his robe, trying to get it off. Didn't work.

In his panic he had forgotten about the Hoppip which was still stuck above him, just within reach. Now he was more worried about the poisonous creature on his person. He grabbed a hold of a small branch nearby and snapped it off the larger branch and tried to gently pry it off his robe with that. At first it seemed like he would get it off as the Weedle's front end was lifted off but then the bug decided it didn't like the branch and maneuvered around the object so that it could grab back a hold of Subba's rope.

Filled with anger and panic Subba threw caution to the wind and did the next thing he could think of, he swung his foot backwards and kicked at the Weedle on his robe. That would certainly do the trick as the Weedle lost its grip and was sent flying onto the ground. Once Subba confirmed it was gone he let out a sigh of relief. With the Weedle gone he noticed that the Hoppip was right above him and he reached out and grabbed it. With it in his arm he began to climb down and called out to the little girl below.

“I got your Hoppip!” He declared happily. He expected to hear excitedly giggles and cries of thank you but instead he heard something else. “Watch out!” The little girl screamed, her screams barely piercing through the screams produced by the slow twins. Subba barely had time to see what all the screaming was about as a black and yellow object came flying at him through the branches. The next thing he knew is he was flat on the ground, on his back, the Hoppip still in his arm and people screaming all around him.

Why were they screaming? What happened? Why can't I feel anything? I must have hit my head or something...right? I can't get hurt today, me and Victor are going to run away tonight. Run away all the way to Unova where we'll become famous Pokemon trainers and compete in the Pokemon World Tournament. The Golden Brothers, world famous double battle Pokemon trainers, that's what we're going to be. Victor will be so mad if I get hurt today. I can't let Victor down. I can't let my...my brother...

“Thank you, Nurse Joy. I'll be back tomorrow for the Hoothoot!” Victor said with a smile and a wave, knowing good and well that he would not be back tomorrow. Someone else would have to pick that Hoothoot up. As he headed back to the tower he couldn't help but entertain the ideas that kept him and Subba up last night. Unova would be as good of a place as any for them to make a new life any. Land of the free they called it. Give me your tired poor, or something like that. He had heard so much about Unova and really wanted to see it, wanted to explore the entire region with his little brother. And maybe they could make a name for themselves at the Pokemon World Tournament, stranger things have happened.

While he was waiting at the Pokemon Center to see Nurse Joy he was reading a Pokemon magazine and learned that Murkrow can evolve with Dusk Stones. When they get to Unova he'll have to save up some money to get one of those and evolve their Mukrow, that will make it much stronger. Then with their newly evolved Pokemon they'll be able to wipe the floor with whoever comes their way. So what if they never battle Morty? He'll be child's play by the time they ever come back to this rat hole, that's for sure.

“Victor! There you are!” Haruko shouted at Victor as she ran up to him. For whatever reason she was in front of the Tin Tower with several other citizen. The young girl immediately embraced Victor in a hug, tears running down her face. “Haruko, what's wrong? What's going on?” Victor asked as he tried to pull Haruko off of him so he could look her in the face. “It's Sub, he's been hurt!” She nearly screamed, holding onto Victor even tighter.

At that moment time seemed to stop for Victor. He could hear the sound of sirens wailing, the murmurs of the people gathered in front of the tower and yet none of it registered to him. Nothing did. A growing cold spread over his body, spreading out from his heart and numbing the rest of him. Haruko contuined to scream his name, shaking him now, and yet Victor could not respond. His throat was frozen, his eyes paralyzed. Everything had stopped.

“Victor!” She screamed once more, now slapping the boy across the face, leaving a red mark which would later turn into a prove. “Where is he? Where is Subba!?” Victor shouted as he pushed Haruko away and several others as he stormed into the tower yelling the young boy's name. “Sub! Subba!? Where are you!? Where is he!?” He demanded to know. Two monks quickly ran up to Victor and tried to restrain him as a group of paramedics rushed into the tower. It was at that point that Victor caught a glimpse of Elder Ku, standing there with his indifference, watching the entire scene unfold with a care in the world.

At exactly 7:43 am, the young boy named Subbarao Kapoor was pronounced dead. Cause of death were multiple venomous stings by a Beedrill. The official statement would say that it was believed Subbarao had anger the Beedrill by kicking its young, a Weedle. The Elder insisted they had never known any Beedrill or Weedle to be in their orchard as they routinely spray repellent. That day Victor would find out from the loose lipped slow twins that Dosho had put the Weedle there. And it was Dosho who had stolen the Hoppip and put it in the tree. He thought he was going to play a joke on Subbarao and get him back for all the jokes he played on him. He thought he would play off of Subbarao's fear and just scare him with the Weedle. Never did he imagine he would die.

Victor had told the Elder about this and the Elder dismissed the punishment Victor suggested, that is getting the police involved. Instead Dosho was given three days of meditation without food, like Victor was given for a much lesser offense. Victor was enraged by the Elder's lack of care for his brother. They wouldn't even allow Victor to keep some of the ashes as they immediately cremated him. They simply spread his ashes out from the top of the tower and that was it. Subbarao was gone in the wind.

Late that night Victor had followed through with their plan. He took everything he could gather up and left. Before leaving he left behind a gift and set fire to what was once their bedroom, where they slept and laughed and talked about their future together. And like Subbarao he wanted all that to burn. They had no future, there would be no more laughter. It was all dead and it would all be gone in the wind.

He watched the fire in the distance as he stood on Roll Out Hill, a gentle breeze rustling the leaves of the apricorn tree they had all stood under not long ago. He could still hear Subbarao laughing here, running around and having the time of his life. He would give anything to have that time back. But he couldn't, never again would Subbarao laugh. Subbarao was dead, and in a way, so was Victor. The Golden Brothers were no more.

As Victor watched the fire raging on the side of the tower disappear he wiped away the last of the tears off his cheek and let out a hefty sigh. He stroked the bird which was perched on his shoulder, wishing Subbarao could have felt her silky black feathers just once.

Though he hated the tower he knew this would be the last time Victor ever saw it. Never again would Victor gaze upon the Tin Tower. “Nevermore!” Squawked the bird on his shoulder. “That's right...nevermore.”  
Mission Archive

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games