We imagine getting an education we can actually pay off, as if that education gives us wings. We're sold on tales of glory, legend, accomplishment, status, and fame from the moment we enter high school. High school sells college to us.

How it is for some: They earn their wings, they fly away to a job that can pay things off, if they didn't have the funds saved up or a college scholarship/grant

When everyone else goes to school:

Turns out, school isn't easy. Not everyone has the dedication, discipline, or attention span, yet we were sold on this belief that college would make finding future jobs easier, like it's something we had to do and not going means you're not destined for greatness.

Some are lucky enough that they thought ahead and got a job during college. That's a stretch, juggling an education and a job, but well worth it if you keep focused.

Others weren't so smart or maybe they just weren't lucky.

Maybe they were lucky or had an impressive enough resume for managers to give more than a careless, passing glance of dismissal after getting out of college.

Maybe, the former college students built themselves from the ground up, starting from the ground and achieving something great in spite of the difficulties facing them.

Or maybe, they were the rest...

The rest weren't so lucky:

Here's a metaphor: After some time, we're lined up like cattle and our limbs are removed. College costs an arm and a limb. "Oh wait. No. You forgot the interest!" Now they have your other arm and leg. You're a stump. "Now, go pay the bills, or else..." From then on, your loved ones are slowly lined up and the loan company points to you and threatens to do the same to them while you struggle.

You have to plan carefully. Any future spouses you end up with while in debt inherit your debt. That could be a big deterrent. Kids inherit it too, depending on the company's policies. So... what... do I have a future? Can I not have kids, because that's something I always sort of wanted (to adopt or foster).

I can't speak for everyone as I don't know their story, but... this is how student loans seem to me...

I can't blame anybody but myself. To the discerning, this is probably just the mumblings of a stump in the night... Ugh... What am I even doing up at 5 in the morning? Metaphors, of all things...