Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info
Rules for Voluteers at Cons Changing?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should Volunteers Be Treated Different
  No
  Leave Them Alone
  Yes
  Pay Them
  Treat Them Like Workers
  Don't Change What Works
View Results

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:18 pm
Hello Everyone,

I came across something disturbing that I want everyone to know about. I read an announcement that Shuto Con posted online about changes in how volunteers are treated. You can read the full announcement in the Midwest con Sub Forum called Shuto Con 2016 announcement.

The government (Don't know if it's federal or state) is cracking down on Anime / Cosplay conventions and perhaps other types of cons as well about how volunteers are treated at these cons. In my opinion the definition of a volunteer is a person who gives up their time and efforts freely for a special cause or event. Conventions are considered to be a special event.

What the government is forcing cons to do is pay the volunteers as if they were workers. They would be paid at least minimum wage. I'm very upset about this change. I volunteered at Star Trek conventions for years and did not get paid. For me the sheer joy of helping to run the con and interacting with other staff, guests, and other convention attendees was worth it for me. Not once did I think of being paid for something that I freely enjoyed doing.

The Government think that it's not right for workers / volunteers at conventions to not get paid. So they are beginning to force conventions like Shuto Con in Lansing, Michigan to start paying their volunteers. Please take the poll and comment on what you think about this issue.

PS - Also in my Opinion everyone should have the right to choose what they want to do. Being a Volunteer is a choice. It's not a job that you go to day after day, It's participating in an activity that you enjoy for a weekend. The government has gone too far.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:17 am
Obviously, no one has explained to the government the definition of a volunteer.

Your tax dollars at work, people. rolleyes  

OnsenMark

Crew

Noble Raider

12,700 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

Shiorins

Excitable Friend

8,325 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:29 am
This isn't even fair for smaller conventions. I help run a one day convention (one of the executives) and we don't receive any money from our convention because we are funded as a college student organization. The only way we can even hold our convention is if we have those outside volunteers. There would be no possible way to pay them. We do this because we want to not because we want to make a profit off of it and I guarantee most volunteers for hundreds of other conventions feel the same way.

[Also I was wondering why Ohayocon suddenly changed the way they did volunteers... this explains why]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:36 am
I work as staff at several conventions and was a former staff member for AX. Not even the staff members are paid, they get other compensation such as meals, rooms, and gas and parking.

The only members of a convention that are paid are the board directors, but they get paid as if they are working normally, and some con guests (example: a VA)  

AuroraDyne

Beloved Lover

10,350 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items