Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Ireland's Referendum Results

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

darklingtears

Friendly Gaian

6,300 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:26 am
Is anyone else here excited about the results of Ireland's Referendum which now makes same sex marriage legal in Ireland? If so why? If not why do you think it's a not such a good thing or why isn't it exciting to you? I am excited because I'm hoping the U.S. will finally stop skating around the issue. Yes there are states that allow it, but there are a few that won't even recognize it even if you were legally married in a state where it's legal.  
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:49 am
I'm excited over the referendum for a lot of reasons. For one it shows that even a country like Ireland who's government has deep roots within religion (for them Catholic, a religion often times associated with homophobia) can be more progressive. With that in mind Italy may in fact be next even with their heavy ties to the Roman Catholic church as well as having Vatican City located within their country.

I'm also excited that they are one of the first nations in the world to legislation by popular vote. With that, it can show that people do in fact want it. With the vote being 62% in favor it shows that it isn't a slim majority, but in fact a fairly moderate majority.

In regards to the United States. I feel that the federal government should take a stand. All things considered, a lot of the laws that had been made historically within the US by both states and the feds that had put restrictions on LGBT+ members had been made out of spite and hatred against the group due to petty reasons such as religion. That was, potentially in fact why when Maryland and Vermont overturned their laws it had been done so rather quickly, people originally hadn't fully realized what they voted for when they made the bans in the first place and determined that instead of stopping at partnerships to give full rights back.
Secondly at this point more than 2/3rds of the United States in one way or another (popular vote, legislative branch for the state as well as in some cases the state's own supreme court weighing in) have decided to have equal rights regarding marriage be in their state. It would be very easy for all of the states that passed gay marriage legislation to call for a constitutional convention in regards to gay marriage so that the Constitution of the United States can have the 28th constitutional amendment is to have it so nationwide marriage equality is legal. If that were to be done the remaining thirteen states will HAVE to change not only their constitution but also remove laws that have these bans in place. If they don't follow the rule change these states will be punished until they do so (more than likely by getting a reduction in funding as well as commerce)

That or the supreme court can say that marriage bans are unconstitutional and the US ends up in a second civil war.  

Isabella Kiyoshi

Versatile Lunatic

Isabella Kiyoshi

Versatile Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:46 am
I think I scared everyone away from this topic.. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:52 am
Isabella Kiyoshi
I think I scared everyone away from this topic.. sweatdrop

I don't think so. I think that because it doesn't affect some people personally they didn't feel like contributing. That or they just simply don't like discussing politics. I know some people like that.  

darklingtears

Friendly Gaian

6,300 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200

Isabella Kiyoshi

Versatile Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:02 am
darklingtears

I don't think so. I think that because it doesn't affect some people personally they didn't feel like contributing. That or they just simply don't like discussing politics. I know some people like that.

It's still amazing that it passed in Ireland. With that we have conquered the British Isles! twisted ..erm cough  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:11 am
Isabella Kiyoshi
darklingtears

It's still amazing that it passed in Ireland. With that we have conquered the British Isles! twisted ..erm cough

It is amazing, but it shows that if a country that is stereotypically known for its primary religion is willing to allow this that there is still hope. For a lot of countries that are still divided on the issue. It may take several generations, but unless something cataclysmic happens between now and then, it should take root a civil right that majority of the planet acknowledges. The right to marry no matter what gender either partner wishing to marry is.  

darklingtears

Friendly Gaian

6,300 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:16 pm
The best thing about the referendum is that gay marriage was ushered in through popular vote, meaning that this was what the people actually really wanted.

That's incredibly important because often politician's, elected to represent the interests of voters, will spout BS about how "it's not what the people want" when literally everyone is talking about how much they want it and accept it.

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games