Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Cosplay Ideas & Suggestions
Teach me your ways!!!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fentyr

Wealthy Gekko

6,150 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:11 pm
Hey guys so I haven't made it to any cons yet and I want to try cosplaying sometime, I plan on going to sakura-con next year since I am from oregon but I would like some advice. Like what can I expect from a con? How should I approach cosplay?? I'm really new to all this so any advice helps!  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:08 pm
Fentyr
Hey guys so I haven't made it to any cons yet and I want to try cosplaying sometime, I plan on going to sakura-con next year since I am from oregon but I would like some advice. Like what can I expect from a con? How should I approach cosplay?? I'm really new to all this so any advice helps!

Hello! I think that just expressing an interest towards cosplay and con-going is a fantastic start. vuv
What can you expect from a con?: Many things! The most important thing when going to cons, I think, is to remember that you're there to have fun! Going to conventions in my own terms is a way to find friends that have the same interests as you, to hang out, and show of your awesome cosplays! However, you don't always have to be in cosplay to enjoy a con.
When at a con, you meet a lot of people, many of them are nice and open and kind, some can act pretty crazy, others act in character, and while there is a lot of positivity in the cosplay community, there is also some negativity. If you ever meet someone who acts negatively towards, for whatever ever reason it may be, maybe you should back away from them , you know?
Another thing to remember is this: Even if it may seem a bit rude, there will always be someone out there that is better than you. While this is true, it's no reason to be discouraged! Don't be afraid to go up to these people either; you might find yourself making friends wink
How can you prepare for a convention?: It's always good to plan out what you are wearing to the convention before hand. A couple of weeks or a month is good, because then you know what you are doing, you'll have a better sense of what you'll need to pack outfit and prop wise, and you're not rushing the day before! It's never to early to decide what you'll be wearing! (If I'm being honest, I already have my lineup for a con that isn't even happening until April next year//) You can also get the chance to find others who'll be dressing up as characters from the same game/series/book that you are dressing up for, and you guys could hang out!
When preparing for a con, it's also good to pack some snacks, a first aid kit, and even a sewing kit if you have one. Accidents do happen! It's also a good idea to bring a baggie with bobby pins or hair ties, and even makeup if you've used any. (Also pack regular clothes, don't forget those!) It's good to bring money too, of course, just be sure you have a safe place you can put it while you're out and about! (I lost a 20$ at a con once orz)
How to approach cosplay: There's a lot of ways you can do this! Firstly, it depends on whether or not you'll be mostly buying, or making your cosplay. In either case you'll need to figure out what you will need. Making a list definitely helps (in fact, there's an app that helpos you with this called Cosplanner, it has helped me a bunch!) Do you need contacts? Write that down. Do you need to buy shoes, or paint? Write that too! Are you buying the cosplay/commissioning someone to make a cosplay for you? Make sure you have all your measurements, and if you are making it yourself, make sure you have a list of the fabrics you'll need, and how much you'll need! For example:
I'm planning on making a santa claus Finland outfit from Hetalia. What will I need? For the red- 4 way stretch polyester fabric, or some red fake velvet would do nicely. I'm 5'9", so I'll end up buying 4 or 5 yards of that. Maybe I want black chiffon for the little cape? 1 yard of that. Faux white fur? about 3 yards would do nicely. Also take into account what thread you'll be needing!
Opposingly, maybe you're going to buy your cosplay? You can do that in parts (Buying shirt, shoes, pants, accessories, etc..), or order it pre-made. Just make sure you keep a list of expenses too- you'll definitely need to know how much everything is going to cost- this is why it's a good thing to plan in advance.
It's also really good to watch tutorials, and references! Never forget those, they're very important!
Sorry this is a bit long- if you have any other questions, I'll try to answer them at the best of my ability vuv

nerdiepi

Crew

Anxious Shounen

15,450 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Survivor 150

Blood_Red_Moon_Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:03 pm
I've been to Sakura Con three times now and one thing you can expect is a lot of friendly people. Granted there will be people who aren't too nice but most of the people there are very kind. When it comes to cosplay I highly suggest getting started sooner rather than later. Trust me when I say that stressing out of a cosplay that isn't done a few days before the con is horrible. Also, make sure you book your hotel early to avoid paying really high amounts for a room. For Sakura Con it is a lot nicer to get a room near the convention center since Seattle is very hilly.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:11 pm
Just some general convention advice is to remember to eat and stay hydrated. I know that sounds like common sense stuff, but trust me. With everything that goes on it is easy to forget. Also it is a good idea to keep cash on your person while at the convention. More often than not you're not supposed to bring food and drink into the convention center and there will most likely be a vendor area that has food. From my experience the food items in these areas can be a bit pricy a not a lot is given. It might be a better idea to eat outside the convention center, but then you run the risk of traffic holding you up and missing a panel. So that is also something to keep in mind. Good Luck Cosplaying!  

darklingtears

Friendly Gaian

6,300 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200

Swibbs

Wealthy Noob

9,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:29 am
1- always bring medicine and vitamins cons are germy!
2-cosplay is fun and shouldnt be taken uber seriously so if you wana start small with a easier cosplay go ahead.
3- WHAT TO COSPLAY: what ever you like if you dont know enough yet you can do something easy like ash from pokemon . most of what he wears can be found in local stores
4- you will be waiting in excessive lines
5-drink a lot of water  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:32 pm
Everyone's experience is a bit different, just remember to try and have fun.
Take essentials with you, such as water bottles, etc. I know this may sound weird to say but, take changes of clothes and shower. It gets very hot sometimes. Try to get at least 6 hrs of sleep.
Always ask when you want to take a picture of someone.
Carry something to entertain yourself with you might be waiting in lines *depending on what you are doing/going*
I hope this helps  

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:42 am
Thanks everyone for helping Fentyr out.

Fentyr,

My first Convention and Cosplay experience I just posted about on the "sticky" thread "How did it feel to wear your first Cosplay Outfit" in the Main Forum. I plan on writing a general guide called Convention 101 on the Main Forum in the future. We already have a Cosplay 101 Thread on the Main Forum. Also their are many tutorials you can check out on the Tutorial Sub Forum. Remember the Crew of this Guild are here to help you out. Whether it's about Cosplay outfits, going to Conventions, etc. If you have a specific question about making an outfit you can either start a thread on the Tutorial Sub Forum or the Cosplay Help Sub Forum. Also feel free to send me a message with your questions. If I can't answer the question myself I know that one of our talented Crew Members will be happy to help you out. Also as you have already seen their are many of your fellow Guild Members that can help you out as well. So posting your questions on one the Sub Forums in the Guild can also let other members help you out. smile

All of the advice that your fellow Guild Members posted are all good to know. Here is some advice from me:

1. Plan ahead of time what you are going to do at the convention. If you can't plan ahead of time when you get your Guide to the convention look it over really good to get familiar with the layout of the convention. Where the bathrooms are, Food places are, and most importantly where the places are that you want to go to at the convention. Sometimes many of the things that you want to do happens at the same time and you have to chose which one to do. Figuring these things out ahead of time will help keep you from stressing out.

2. As others have mentioned bring money with you. When it comes to money figure out ahead of time how much you need. You will need money (usually cash) for food, sometimes money for parking, money for stuff that you want to buy at the Dealers Room / Artists Alley. Keep in mind that many vendors in the Dealers Room / Artists Alley only take cash. If you want the big items some of the vendors will take credit cards as well. After you have figured out how much money you need add some extra money to that amount in case something unexpected happens and you need money for that on top of everything else.

3. Buying items at a con. Plan ahead of time when you are going to go to the Dealers Room / Artists Alley. If you can take the precious items that you bought to either your hotel room or car right after you are done buying things. Doing that will make it easier on you so that you don't have to carry the items you bought everywhere. Also their are Evil people out their that might try to steal the items that you bought. Yes, most of the people at a convention are very nice. Just be aware that some are out their just to cause trouble. I personally go to my car after buying a lot of stuff because I'm a Cosplay Photographer. When taking photos I usually want my hands free.

4. Relax and have fun. Make sure to take breaks. If you forget to take breaks you might forget to eat or drink water as well. For me I make sure that I take several breaks. At least one of those breaks is sitting down and eating a meal. As I mentioned before plan things out. So plan on specific times to take a break. Also I happen to take breaks by sitting down for a couple of hours in a Video Room watching Anime or even Japanese TV shows. Usually the video rooms are quiet which gives you quiet time to go over what you want to do next.

5. Going to panels. Be prepared for long lines. I have been in some lines for more than an hour. Yes you can take things with you like a portable game system or play games on your cell phone to pass the time away. Standing in line also gives you the opportunity to talk to fellow convention goers. I have made some friends by talking to people in line. Often when you are talking to people in line the time you are waiting to go into the panel room will go by a lot faster.

6. Most important. Do not go alone to a convention if you can help it. As they say, safety in numbers. I always go with either my brother or a friend. That way you have someone to share your con experiences with. Also if something happens to you at the con their is someone already with you to help you out. Safety first.

I hope that both my advice and the advice of others that posted on this thread has helped you out.  
Cosplay Ideas & Suggestions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games