Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply News with a Christian perspective
Atheist Minister Continues Fight to Remain Ordained

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:29 am
Atheist Minister Continues Fight to Remain Ordained  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:16 pm

Such a silly thing.

It's interesting that so many people want to claim that Christians can be such without believing in God. The problem is that when you cease to believe in God you're no longer a Christian. Why? Because Christianity, like every system of belief, is made up of specific tenets. One of those tenets is belief in God. It is adherence to these tenets that makes someone a Christian, in the basic sense.

Claiming that you are a Christian because you follow Jesus' teachings whilst not believing in God is a fallacious argument because God is central to Jesus' teachings. You don't follow Jesus' teachings if you don't believe in God. It always amazes me that people want to follow Jesus without believing in God and continue to call themselves Christians. There is a term for such a group of people: secular Humanists. Why bother with being a Christian when you don't believe the core tenets? Just claim that you're a secular Humanist and be done with it.

I mean, what if I went around claiming, "I follow the teachings of Bertrand Russell and Richard Dawkins, but I'm not an atheist. I believe in God." I mean, seriously--who does that?! It baffles me. Of course, it's a symptom of the whole relativism of the present age.

In the end, here's the thing: something with certain qualities ceases to be that something when it loses those qualities. You can only strip Christianity of so much before it ceases to be Christianity.

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

News with a Christian perspective

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces